I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off topic - Fly reel help
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: September 13, 2006 07:18AM

Hi guys, one for the fly fishers out there. I'm diversifying and doing my own fly rod. I've decided to match it to a Pflueger Trion 5/6. The recommendations and advice on the reel have been very promising, and has prompted me to ask a few questions.

What's the drag and drag material like?
The reel will be used in FW and SW, going UL most of the time for small GT's (to 5 lbs) and Indo-Pacific tarpon (up to about 10 lbs.) Going with a 5 wt line, but looking to increase my backing capacity with braided line. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Ted..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off topic - Fly reel help
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2006 07:40AM

9' rod? Go with the 7/8 and you'll have all the backing you need, and up at a diameter that will do you more good. It'll also balance better on a longer rod.

These are super nice reels, sold under a variety of names but at higher prices than what Pflueger gets for them. One way clutch, synthetic drag (very smooth and low start up inertia).

The new President series is same reel but built on a wider frame and spool. The wider spool means that the drag pressure won't increase as fast as the line peels off because the overall diameter won't be dropping as fast.

Date: September 13, 2006 07:58AM

Thanks for that Tom. I figured it had the synthetic drag. My rod's only 7'6". Short line casting most of the time. I like the feel of the shorter rod better, and the I have a bum shoulder. Picking up the fluff stick after a VERY long absence. Am I going about this the wrong way? 9 ft just feels so cumbersome (and a bit painful), so that's why I figured the lighter reel would match the shorter rod better too.

Date: September 13, 2006 08:03AM

In that case you may like the 5/6. These are very nice reels - you can't go wrong with them. If you need more backing capacity then the braid or the President with the wider spool will be the answer.

Date: September 13, 2006 08:26AM

Definitely going with the 5/6 Trion. After all, I am a possessed hardcore UL fanatic. 20 or 30 lb braided line as backing should hopefully up the backing capacity to around the 150 yd. mark. Just in case. Mackerel and little tunas!!!!!!LOL!!!

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.40.103.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 08:59AM

Hi Ted,

I don't kow what your previous rod was, but today's graphite blanks are very light. I think you ought to go to a shop and pick up a couple of the mass produced fly rods that are 8'6" or 9' and see how they feel. Then you can decide whether you want to go with a smaller rod length.

I have used Pflueger reels for many years for pike, bass, trout, and steelhead. Steelhead gives my old model 1495 1/2 as well as my arms a real workout. I decided that I needed a reel with a center disc drag to handle fish like that. My suggestion is to look at a Tioga which I bought. It is a bit more expensive than the Trion, but its drag is one of the best out there for saltwater fishing. The Tioga is a non-fancy and non-jewel like line from Tibor Reels. This reel is so well made that your grandchildren will inherit it. Good luck with your project.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: scott.bearden (---.nga.mil)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:03AM

I own both of these reels in the 3/4 sizes. They are indeed very sweet, but I have found that they just dont hold a lick of backing. The President was so tight that I had to trim off a few feet of my line just to be sure the spool didn't chaffe the line. I only fish for trout and the only fish big enough to test my skills was an 18" fat rainbow. I reeled him in before he could even touch the backing. If you go with one size larger (the 7/8 that Tom suggested) it only adds half an ounce more and you will get a lot more space for backing.

Date: September 13, 2006 09:14AM

Thank you. Michael, the Tioga is made by Teton Fly Reels. I agree the Tiogas are nice, but I got a bargain on the Trion 5/6. Also, the rod is one I built from the ground up, by extending a 6 foot All Star UL spin blank. I could not get hold of a suitable extension piece to take it out past 7' 6", so that's where I decided to stop piddling about and actually build it up.

Scott, the 3/4 sizes are pretty small for sure. The stated capacities are pretty low, considering the mid-arbor design and width of the spool. 50 yds of 20 lb Dacron on the 5/6. Like Tom mentioned, the reel is available under several different names (I don't know any of them, but I suspect a couple). Similar sized reels have capacities between 40 yds and 75 yds of the Dacron. Braid should at least double the backing capacity, without having to trim the fly line. Looking more closely though, the capacity from Pflueger is with a DT 6 line. With a WF5, I'd be looking at closer to 70 yds of Dacron, so quite possibly 140 yds od braid.

I wish the same price could be had on a 7/8, but none available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2006 09:22AM by Ted Morgan.

Date: September 13, 2006 09:24AM

I once sold the Tetons and the Tiogas - very nice reels, but not in the same league as the Pflueger Trion I'm afraid.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 10:31AM

With a 5 wt I can't imagine needing more that 20 lb braid backing.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 12:19PM

With a 5/6, I would use 12# backing, then you can really get a lot on the reel.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.129.---)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:10PM

Thanks again fellas. I am hesitant of dropping below 20 lb in braid (line cuts). Gerry, do you mean 12 lb Dacron?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster