I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Filling cork handles
Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 06:36AM

I'm trying to repair a handle with some big flaws in the cork, and am not having good success with a mixture of Titebond II and cork dust. I'm wondering if there's a better glue to use. What do others use with good success? Is there a product that works well? And is there a ratio of cork dust to glue that I need to learn?

As usual, I appreciate all feedback!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Filling cork handles
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 07:52AM

You need to use some sort of wood putty for the really large pits. The brand has been discussed here before so do a search. I have some at home but I'm at the office now and can't remember the shade or type. I know it was DAP brand but that's all I can tell you off the top of my head.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 07:55AM

Plastic wood: Golden Oak color

DR

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:56AM

This was the information provided by Joe Kassuba on this site awhile back.

Make a cork dust paste with Rod Bond, add as much cord dust as you think you can then add some more. Then add a tiny bit of Titanium dioxoide dust to lighten the paste to the cork color. Fill the hole with the paste. Cover with plastic wrap tightly, spiral tape over plastic wrap. Let set for 6 to 8 hours then remove tape and plastic wrap. Lightly sand using 600 grit paper.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 12:30PM

I use ambroid glue.....used for building balsa wood models...mixed with cork dust.

Posted by: Anonymous User (12.13.141.---)
Date: September 13, 2006 03:26PM

Here is a cork filler that works for me. Try it for yourself and decide.

1. You need a small glass jar about 1 oz in size or a small baby food jar to hold the cork filler. The lid must seal tightly.

2. Collect the cork fines from a couple of handle projects. Sieve the large chunks out by rubbing the dust through a section of nylon stocking.

You will also need Duco cement, acetone, lacquer thinner, a “touch” of paint or pigment, to lighten the color of the cork, and some disposable rubber gloves.

4. Fill the glass container about ¾ full of cork dust and add Duco cement to wet it. Add one cc of acetone and mix well. Add a little touch - very small (as it goes a long way) - of color to lighten the darkened cork filler. Mix well. Add additional cork dust, cement, and acetone as needed to fill the bottle about 2/3 to ¾ full. Mix well. Test the color and consistency by filling some holes in a poor cork ring. The mix should be sticky and adhere well, as well as closely match the cork color. Store the cork filler tightly closed.

5. To use the filler, I first clean the cork imperfection with a small dental pick. The filler is applied and pressed into the hole to make a shallow mound over it. When you have finished applying filler to the grip, let it sit for about an hour.

6. To clean off the excess filler, you need a small smooth rag, some rubber gloves and some lacquer thinner. Do this outside! Put on the gloves, moisten the rag with lacquer thinner, and rub over each filled spot. The solvent will carry away the excess filler. Go slowly and check your work. It is easy to pull out too much of the filler. When done, give a careful final wipe and let set to dry.

7. The cork filler will NOT last indefinitely. If it gets too stiff, add 1 cc each of acetone and lacquer thinner. Store tightly closed! Even then, it will dry out and you will have to chuck it.

8. An alternative is to use “Barge” cement. It is a rubber-based adhesive used in industry. The process is the same, but you will use both acetone and lacquer thinner as solvents.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Robert Hively (204.248.120.---)
Date: September 15, 2006 07:14AM

I tried using fine cork filler and it was a pain and too hard with epoxy and messy using Pliobond, so I went to wood fillers and happy boy again, for what it is worth.

Hive

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster