I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thinning Flexcoat Lite
Posted by: Jim Brandt (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: September 12, 2006 11:35PM

Has anyone had any experience thinning Flexcoat lite with denatured alcohol. I've used acetone in the past, but am looking for a workable substitute.

Thanks.

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinning Flexcoat Lite
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 12, 2006 11:36PM

Just curious, What is the purpose of thinning it?????

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Brandt (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: September 12, 2006 11:40PM

Mike,

I'm thinning it to use as a first coat on white silk thread to make it go completely translucent and force any micro-bubbles out of the finish.

Jim

Date: September 12, 2006 11:43PM

interesting, Thanks for the info

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.gamma9.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: September 13, 2006 01:09AM

Jim,

I was using Flexcoat Lite for the same application and since have changed to Classic Super Coat which is much thinner. I use this for fly rods as well as the bleeding coat stage when I do a Tartan wrap. I find that CSC is very penetrative and very useful on silk or nylon thread.
My experience with thinning epoxy wrap is bad. After sometime, the wrap will apper misty/cloudy. In some cases, I experience faint streaks like the wrap is flaking. Since then I have stopped any form of thinning epoxy wrap.

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2006 07:36AM

Adding a solvent to an epoxy is asking for trouble at some point. But if you are going to do such a thing, acetone is what you want to use. It evaporates more quickly than the alcohols so there is less chance of any solvent being trapped in the epoxy as it starts to set.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 07:57AM

If I'm not using CP, I use permagloss for the initial coat. Much easier and safer than messing with epoxy.

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:35AM

Question: Why is perma gloss safer to use than Flex Coat or other epoxies? Just wondering!

Date: September 13, 2006 09:43AM

By safe, I think that Mick was referring to the fact that the minute you add anything to a finish, you are changing it's properties from what the formulater intended them to be and can't be 100% sure of the results, not "safe" as in danger! Permagloss is water thin and used straight from the bottle

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:51AM

Oops! I gave my rookies status away with that question! LOL!

Date: September 13, 2006 10:15AM

Exactly Mike, thank you!

Date: September 13, 2006 10:17AM

Mick,
Why aren't you at work ?????LOL!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: September 13, 2006 10:20AM

Mike... I am... shhhhhh... LOL.

Sorry Bruce, my bad. I should have worded that a little better.

Date: September 13, 2006 10:39AM

Mick, I should have known!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: September 13, 2006 12:16PM

One point is that you are not going to find an alcohol that is free of water. Alcohol molecules really grab on to water and it is very difficult to get "dry alcohol". I would stick to the Acetone.

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.gamma9.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:25PM

Watch out if you intend to mix your epoxy wrap with any chemicals, make sure you do not use the mixture directly over your decal.
I have wasted a number of decals, worst still when those were either G.Loomis or ST. Croix. I still have a G.Loomis with a blurred sticker as the solvent affected the decal.

Anthony Lee

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster