I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Shopping list for new rod builder
Posted by: Brian Davis (---.ip.fs.fed.us)
Date: September 12, 2006 12:25AM

Hey everybody - I'm thinking about making the leap into rod building and need a little help on putting a shopping list together. I am trying to figure out what I "need " to build a fly rod (everything from epoxies and brushes to tools and books). My first thought was to go through cabelas and get their $99 rod buiding kit, but I'm certain I can put together a more complete kit with better components with a little help from you guys. Basically I want to put together a shopping list of the essential tools and a secondary list of things that would be nice, but not a necessity. I plan on building a rod for myself, and depending on how that goes maybe a rod a year for friends and family. Suggestions? Thanks - Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shopping list for new rod builder
Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: September 12, 2006 02:22AM

i build small to medium stream fly rods for trout. here's what i'd suggest if you build the same:

rod wrapper: you can use a cardboard box with V notches to hold the blank (take off the top). or you can find something on @#$%&. several sellers make wood ones for about $30. vendors here can also offer you the flex coat or sully versions for a bit more. if you go the cardboard box route, a cup to hold the thread spool nd heavy book to add tension works too i read. since you're new you might borrow one to see what makes them tick and then make your own or study diagrams and photos here.

rod dryer: again, box, turn it by hand periodically. others can tell you how often. or you can turn to @#$%& again and buy a separate dryer. or again, flex coat.

scissors: i went to my harbor freight and bought a two pack of sewing scissors. these do not hve finger loops. very simple, made in china, and they work. coupla bucks.

x-acto knife: for trimming thread. always use a new blade for each rod. doens't hurt to switch out halfway through a single rod.

thread finish: i use flex coat lite build. since you're starting fresh, try threadmster from lamar fishing. people really like it.

thread. one color for your first rod unles you want to try simple trim wraps, then two. i use A size for my fly rods. gudebrod brand.

blank, guides, tip top, winding check, buy 2-3 adjcent sizes to be sure you have the right one (harbor freight also supplied me with a digital micrometer), hook keeper if you wish (i rarely use them now).

preformed cork grip

U40 rod bond for gluing up components like reel seat hardware and cork grip to blank.

book: tom kirkman's rod building guide. flex coat's little pamphlet is helpful too. i also used l.a. garcia's book.

this web site and its community

brushes: i don't use brushes. i use cut strips from those fake credit cards we receive as junk mail.

i also use small rubber bands in the first step for attaching guides to the blank. find hair bands at target. litle girl sizes.

good light source while working.

patience!

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2006 05:02AM

Also get a Catalog from Mudhole(link on the left).First few pages are a short lesson in rod building and the are a great sponser to deal with.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Brian Davis (---.ip.fs.fed.us)
Date: September 12, 2006 07:50AM

Eric - Good list and great suggestions. What do you do for a spline finder?

Posted by: alan hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: September 12, 2006 08:02AM

i bought that $99 kit from cabelas it was worth every penny for what you got, but i would also look at mudhole.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2006 08:05AM

You don't need a spine finder. First of all, you really don't need to bother with rod spine unless you just feel strongly about it. If you do, get your self a glass marble and shot glass. Set the butt of the rod on the marble and put the shot glass over the rod tip. Now press straight down on the tip of the blank with the shot glass. The blank will flex and roll. The outside of the bend is the effective spine. Do with it what you will.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: September 12, 2006 09:49AM

One recommendation for wrapping and drying: I've found that the tops of computer paper boxes (the ones that 10 reams come in) are very handy wrappers and dryers. They're so readily available (any office will give you as many as you could ever want) that they're practically free and disposable, and I've found that their dimensions are good to work with when wrapping and drying.

I would recommend that you first buy Tom K's Rod Building book (too bad he doesn't get royalties from it), and go through it a few times, before you order any components. Most of it will not make sense, but going through it once or twice and letting it sink in helps when you go back to it when you're in the process of building your first rod.

As for equipment, the recommendations above are good. The only thing that I would add is to keep your new purchases to a minimum. When you get right down to it, you can build a rod with very few tools, and you don't want to shell out cash for stuff that's going to end up collecting dust. You can pick up equipment later, after you've learned what will be useful. Good luck.

Date: September 12, 2006 10:49AM

"Do with it what you will. "

LOL!!!!!

an actual "spine finder" is one of those luxury items, and i think pretty unnecessary. i just place one end of the section on a flat surface, one hand on the top end of the blank applying some pressure, the other around the midpont and roll it applying pressure at the middle with a finger, holding the section at an angle. sometimes i do it, sometimes i don't. even less so with the butt section. i think it's less important overall. sharp knife blades are much more important. read the FAQ posted at this web site. and search topics for past discussions using "spine" or "finding spine."

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Bill Fortune (167.127.104.---)
Date: September 12, 2006 11:05AM

Nobody mentioned reamers yet. You will need them to make the cork fit the blank. You can get them premade or make your own. Also I use wallboard tape to build up the butt of the blank for a tight fit of the reel seat before using Rod Bond

I also got the Cabela's starter kit for $99. I think it's great and worth every penny for a beginner.

Bill

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 12, 2006 11:44AM

Get Tom's book FIRST!!! Best $15 you will spend on this hobby. I would like to point out that most, if not all, of the sponsors on the left either have kits or will make one up for you based on YOUR wants/needs. All you have to do is give one a call and discuss what you want to build and get a "Kit" customised for YOU. They are all builders thmselves and can make sure that you get exactly what you want and need!!! Nothing against Cabela's but the support of the sponsors on the left are what pays to keep this board online! Cabela's doesn't support this board and your chance of actually dealing with a rodbuilder is pretty slim!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 12, 2006 12:19PM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Get Tom's book FIRST!!!

That was going to be my suggestion also. That in itself will pretty much give you your shopping list.

Best of luck!

Jay

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 12, 2006 01:27PM

Will you need these tool / items these Immediately?
- Probably not.

But if you continue rod-building, I recommend:
** Sliding-jaw Calipers-Micrometer to gauge Rod Blank OD in the Handle Section: to size Butt Caps, Gimbals, Grips ID-OD, Reel Seats & Winding Checks.
** Tip-Top Tube Size Gauge
** Tape measure for Guide Layout
** Hand-held Calculator for unit conversions
** Files or power tool for tapering Guide Feet
** Abrasive pads or papers for scuffing mating surfaces
** Subscription to RodMaker Magazine.

Have fun, Brian. ... B)- ... -Cliff Hall

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: September 12, 2006 01:29PM

Nothing wrong with the kits....especially for your first rod....but cabela's isn't the only source.

I would suggest you find one of the sponsor's from the links on the left that is close to your area. Almost all will be able to set up with a kit. Or at list sell you components that will fit together until you know what you are looking for. I suggest you find one close to you to save on shipping costs.

All the sponsor's I have worked with are great people and willing to answer most any question ...should one arise.

Eric's list is a good one...........

Date: September 12, 2006 02:17PM

oops, cliff reminded me... files. again i went to harber freight and bought a vinyl pouch, very cheap, with a selection of small files for filing guide feet.

another thing i might add. beside mudhole's, order a copy of batson enterprises' new catalog and pacific bay's. both are full color and will give you an idea of the types of guides and other components available for the custom builder. there are other companies out there too, but these two make the nicest catalogs for reference.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 12, 2006 06:57PM

Brian,

You've received very good recommendations. Definitely get Tom's book and go through it a few times to get a good idea of construction steps, etc.

Call one of the sponsors and tell him/her you're a new builder just getting started and the type of rod you're looking for. The dealer can then develop a "kit" specifically for your needs. The sponsors are all great people to talk and almost all are rodbuilders and fisherfolks. The sponsors are a great resourse, as is this site.

You'll be very proud of your first rod! Go from there.

Stan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2006 03:17PM by Stan Gregory.

Date: September 13, 2006 01:55AM

Rick,
Just a head's up to let you know that your post will be automatically deleted. You need to re register using your full name (first and last) per the site rules posted above. Also, the vendors on the left also carry the book and their sponsorship is what pays to keep this site online. I would hope that people would consider that when spending their money

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Rick Marsters (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 11:30AM

Thank you Mike, I received the message this morning. I should have browsed through the rules before my post. My apologies to the forum , sponsors and the members.

Brian, I am new to rod building too.I feel that the individuals that responded to your post know a lot more than myself and I would take all their informaion as professional advice. This forum is the best there is and a great place to help others and learn from others. Just by reading through some of the posts I have learned many things already and I have only been a member for one day !!
I just want to put my two cents in for you shopping list.
I have heard a tapered round makes a great tool.
A piece of threaded rod, two half dollar sized washers and two wing nuts that match the thread of the threaded rod makes a nice vice to hold the cork together during the glueing and drying process.
The book by Tom Kirkman I hear is the best there is !! You can find yours through any of the sponsors to the left.
There is a Custom Rod Building Exposition at High Point North Carolina on February 17 & 18, 2006. Tickets are $8.00 per day, $15.00 pre-paid for two days:
The website for the Custom Rod Building Exposition is: [home.earthlink.net]
It is five months away and I am counting the days !!

Good Luck with your rod building.
You are in the right place here. At RodBuilding.org ... it's the best that can be !!

Good Health
Rick

Date: September 13, 2006 12:55PM

Rick, no need to apologize. I just didn't want you wondering why your post dissappeared. You're right about the big show. You can't even imagine how awesome it is. Have you booked a room yet???

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Rick Marsters (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 02:35PM

Hi Mike,
I am going to be booking a room probably after this post.
I am sure the surrounding area will be all booked up soon even though the exposition is 5 months away.
I am located 35 North of Boston, Mass. so with the price of gas I am thinking of flying down, I guess I have some homework to do with booking a room and a flight etc.

I like your phrase "If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED !!

Exactly !! .... I get a "TO DO LIST" from my wife just about everyday... Each item to her would only take a minute to do.... I can not figure out why it takes me almost all day to complete short the list !!
Sooooo..... I head for my boat, fill it up with gas and go fishing !!

Thank you for the heads up on my post Mike ... I appreciate it.
Good Health to you and your's.
Rick

Date: September 13, 2006 03:04PM

Rick, check your e-mail

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster