I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wanna build a bamboo rod
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 10, 2006 09:24PM

I'd like to learn to build a bamboo fly rod. What am I looking at as far as initial investment in tools and what about locating learning resources?

Thanks.
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wanna build a bamboo rod
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: September 10, 2006 11:14PM

Contact Golden Witch. They are a site sponsor and can help get you started on the right track. They also have some DVDs available that will be of great help.
Crafting bamboo rods from scratch isn't for everyone,and the DVDs will at least let you know what you are in for,as far as the long haul. If you contact them,I am sure they would be more than happy to help you.
Best wishes,
Chuck

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.27.242.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 10, 2006 11:42PM

Steve, I looked into it myself quite some time ago and while I can't recall the correct figures, the investment was a LOT. Planing forms alone, if you can find them, are not cheap. Offhand, I think you are looking at an easy $1000 just to get a rudimentary setup going for a basement builder. And by rudimentary, I mean stone age.

There are a few books and websites on the subject, but after looking at a few of them, my conclusion is that you basically have two options: Use the books and employ trial and error, or find a local craftsman who will "apprentice" you.

Top end bamboo rods cost an easy 4 figures. There is a reason for this, and it isn't the materials.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: September 11, 2006 12:36AM

some bamboo makers offer week long classes, near one-on-one instruction in making a rod. take what you learn and join the thriving domestic US bamboo community.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (128.227.173.---)
Date: September 11, 2006 01:58AM

Good Luck! ... [www.BambooRodMaking.Com]

I know that for me, an attempt to actually MAKE a bamboo fly rod blank from raw culm would be a case study in "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

I used to use whole bamboo cane-poles a lot for local fresh-water fishing in Florida. But that is like the difference between flying IN an airplane and FLYING an airplane. A friendly reality check with Art Parramoure relieved me of that romantic notion a long time ago.

As Thomas (?) [of T&T] said in his 2005 (?) RMM Interview, rod blank power and action is all about the TAPER, TAPER, TAPER. And that cannot be done without the right knowledge, techniques, materials and especially TOOLS. No offense, but look before you leap. And plan on a prolonged & serious dedication to this art before any useful product is possible. And blood from your hands while learning to plane. IMO, -Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Daniel Hall (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2006 02:13AM

I was interested in giving it a try myself, until I actually found out the time investment.

Recently, however, I discovered a great alternative. Some custom bamboo rod makers will sell you a finished bamboo blank, you do the rest. I think I will do that.

DJH

Posted by: Art Parramoure (216.136.126.---)
Date: September 11, 2006 03:51AM

Bamboo rod making is rewarding and is a craft like rod building.

I have info on making your own forms from wood or from steel, (personally I would buy a new steel form, +/- $400.00) You need an oven, you can make one for about $200.00, you need a beveller, which you can make also, or you can do it the old fashioned way. You will need to bind the strips after you have planed them for gluing, so you either buy or build a binder. You need a good plane, and plane iron stone for sharpening (which you will be doing often) the rest you probably have.. of course you need to buy some Culm. (not expensive at all)

Most importantly you need time... 40 to 100 hours for a rod, depending on # of sections, taper, finishing , etc....

Just to mention a couple other things like ferrules, reel seats,stripper guides, the cheapest NiS ferrules I buy are from a fellow that makes them, they are $33.00 a set for a 2-piece rod with two tips, I buy my NiS Leonard style cap and ring from him also, $28.00 ( just the metal, not the insert, I turn my own inserts) then I like the top quality stripper guides made of NiS and an Agate insert....$30. You'll need a rod sock and an aluminum tube just to be on the safe side.

There are other things that you will need as you progress on this project. But it is all worth it in the end, you will have a somewhat fishable rod in the end... (the 1st one is usually your worst! They hopefully get better as you learn.) And BANDAIDS............... stock up on bandaids... the enamel is VERY sharp !!!!!!!!!

Have fun ~~

<*)))))><

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 11, 2006 07:33AM

Golden Witch is not a site sponsor, but they are a good place to find what you need for making bamboo rods.

There was a complete article series on making bamboo rods, start to finish, in the Volume 3 & 4 RodMakers.

Russ Gooding and Bernie Elser wrote a very worthwhile book, Fundamentals of Building a Bamboo Fly Rod, that you may find helpful.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: September 11, 2006 08:19AM

I recently started playing with making wood rods as sort of a "warmup" to bamboo, and though not nearly as involved as boo, it takes quite a bit of time, and the basic fundamentals are about the same. Something you might want to look into. And Cliff is correct about the tapering. I went through several prototypes before I found something that I thought I could live with. Now that the rod is basically complete, I'm not happy. The balance is way off and my flex is not what I expected. There is a big difference between how the individual pieces feel compared to when they are put together. Now I gotta make another one, since I know exactly where I need to make changes. (It's rather addictive)

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: September 11, 2006 09:03AM

Steve,

There are tons of books and websites and also as mentioned above...several places that offer clinics where you leave with a completed blank.

As far as tapers there are websites with tons of tapers on them from some of the original masters of the craft.

I would suggest taking a course.......using their tools then completing your first blank. This will give you the information you need to decide first if you want to do this...second which tools do I need and what quality can I afford....how best to utilize the tools you get.

Most of the courses are a full week.

If you chk out Globalflyfisher.com....under rod building they have a tutorial from Harry Boyd....it is a pretty good read...he also offers personal courses and has a website.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 11, 2006 02:12PM

Man! I didn't know there was so much involved in making a bamboo rod. I now have a new respect for those who do it and understand why the work is worth the high dollars for which a rod would cost.

I think I better stick to graphite and fiberglass blanks. LOL

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.169.---)
Date: September 12, 2006 10:33AM

I work with guy who builds custom bamboo fly rods and he said the typical rod take well over 60 hours to complete and he has made more than just a couple. He also said he winds up have to record all the tapers etc to be sure he can replicate it if need be. Sounds to me you really need to be passionate about the craft.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: September 12, 2006 01:05PM

Steve. By all means buy a quality bamboo blank and build yourself a rod. There are several talented blank makers in the U.S. Don

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster