I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bumper wrap help..
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2006 11:53PM

HIya all, This is my first post here just wanted to say hello and thank Tom for putting out such a great mag!

Anyways I need some help with bumper wrap, mainly the guide placement. It seems I should set the butt guide as a normal baitcaster guide then just flip the next guide down. what size guides should these two be? The baitcaster I am setting up is for a light bass fishing. I would like to use fuji alconites.

After the first two guides are set I would like to use all size 6s. Is this OK?

I am pieceing this together from what I can find on the site, The other thing Im unsure of with this system is what distance should reel be from the butt guide? I have read here that the distance from the from the first two guides should be 9-11 inches max is this correct? Lastly what size should the bumper be, I know the alconites are good for this due to the low frames.

Thanks all!

PS: I ordered VOL 8-2 for the simple wrap article, hope I get it before I start building

-Henry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bumper wrap help..
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 09, 2006 05:34AM

Theoretically, after the butt guide, I think you could probably go all 6s if you like. Since your smallest guide will be a 6 I would use that for the bumper also.

Jay

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2006 07:47AM

The article will answer all your questions. For the most part, just set it up like you normally would for a conventional guides-on-top rod. Most folks would use a butt guide of around a #12 and then drop to a #10 or #8 for the second guide. You can stay with that type set up. Just flip everything but the butt guide to the bottom. Use a low frame casting style #8 for the Bumper guide.

Nothing wrong with moving to #6 running guides for the duration.

Date: September 12, 2006 05:32AM

Thanks for the replys guys.

Would using a number 10 butt guide be to small and choke the line on a cast ? These rods will use a very low profile baitcaster reel and 6# line. It seems the 12 alconite's frame is to high to let the line drop down in a straight line (angle) towards the next guide.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2006 08:21AM

A #10 is probably fine. Remember there are different frame styles available. Some are lower than others.

Date: September 21, 2006 03:46PM

Just wondering how long it takes to recieve a back issue, anxious to read the article simple wrap article and start building.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster