I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wilton Mini Lathe
Posted by: Andy Kelpsa (---.firstmidwest.com)
Date: September 07, 2006 12:50PM

I am looking to take my next step in rodbuilding and would like to take a try at turning grips. I only do a few rods a year.

I was looking at the grizzly hobby lathe then saw some posts here on the Wilton.

Considering it is only $80 plus $55 for a chuck it seems only slighty more than a drill type.

Is anyone using a Wilton ?

With the chuck in place and using one of Any Dear's madrels what will be the longets grip I would be able to turn ?

Look forward to the responses.

Thanks !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wilton Mini Lathe
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 07, 2006 01:06PM

Andy ,I believe, will make any reasonable length mandrel, but the one's I received from him are 18 inches long. 15 inch or so would be about the max.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 07, 2006 01:14PM

I'm not familiar with that lathe but you need to make CERTAIN that it will accept M1 or M2 chucks, etc. Many of the inexpensive lathes have a fixed tail stock that does NOT allow you to use drill chucks, etc in them and they have propetary chucks which may or may not be suitable for what you want. Are you just going to do cork or will you be doing any wood grips?

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Andy Kelpsa (---.firstmidwest.com)
Date: September 07, 2006 01:30PM

The lathe does excpet M1 chucks.

With 12 inch. centers - how long of a pice of cork could I expect to turn after adding a chuck ?

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: September 07, 2006 02:15PM

That depends on what chuck you use. With something like a Nova Midi chuck, you might be able to get 8-9 inches. Using a Jacobs chuck, it would less than that. Whatever lathe you get, you will need a Jacobs drill chuck so you can drill on the lathe. I use one from Harbor Freight that cost about $10 and it is probably the best deal anywhere for one of those. You'll also need a 60 degree live center to probably mate with Andy's mandrels. The Little Machine Shop has them for about $15.00.

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.61.103-200.ptr.llix.net)
Date: September 10, 2006 09:30PM

I have one ... got it on special from menard's for $59 and I believe the chuck I got was this one from [www.pennstateind.com]

I use Andy's mandrels so no problem there. It is M2 because I use a drill chuck in the TS. It also comes with a live center and a few other goodies.

Posted by: Andy Kelpsa (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2006 09:34PM

Ron Hossack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have one ... got it on special from menard's for
> $59 and I believe the chuck I got was this one
> from
>
> I use Andy's mandrels so no problem there. It is
> M2 because I use a drill chuck in the TS. It also
> comes with a live center and a few other goodies.

Ron

What is the longest grip you can turn with this setup ?

Thanks,
Andy

Date: September 10, 2006 09:54PM

Since I've only done fly rod grips I don't know.

When I go home tonight I'll take a pic and send it your way as I've got a grip
I'm doing now made of Red Fir bark rings and you can see there's a lot of room.

Posted by: Andy Kelpsa (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2006 09:58PM

Ron Hossack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since I've only done fly rod grips I don't know.
>
> When I go home tonight I'll take a pic and send
> it your way as I've got a grip
> I'm doing now made of Red Fir bark rings and you
> can see there's a lot of room.
>

Ron,

Thanks again !

Can you also indicate the length of the grip that you are turning ?

Date: September 10, 2006 10:01PM

7 1/2 or 8" ... can't remember at the moment. Spent the day on the river and my mind is cluttered with Cutts ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster