I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Socal, blank for leopards, rays, and thresher. From shore and pier
Posted by: Brandon Moore (---.snloca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2006 11:53AM

Hey guys, I tried posting yesterday but sign up wrong. Anyways heres my story. I'm going to be building my first custom rod for a costal fishing class and am dedicating it to my recently passed father. I'm going to be using this rod almost exclusivly from shore and pier. The main purpose of this rod is going to be my hunt for a thresher shark from Gaviota pier although i will be using it a lot on the shore or goleta pier for bat rays and leopard sharks. The blank that I've had my eye on is eather the calstar gf800m or the 850, even possibly the 9. I'm most likely going to be ussing a penn 500 jigmast for it. Anyways since i am a newb. Any suggestions as far as blank, number of guides, and what i really am looking for is some wrapping tutorials so i can make it realy intracit seeing as it will be a memorial. Any other suggestions or help is also welcome. Thank you kavesbcc@gmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Socal, blank for leopards, rays, and thresher. From shore and pier
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2006 03:07PM

Brandon,

Glad to see you got the registration worked out! You had mentioned in your earlier post that your Teacher wasn't a Rod Builder, but that the first three weeks(?) of class were dedicated to Rod Building. There's a lot of local talent here that would probably be willing to help out. How much time do you have left? Ask your Teacher if he'd like to have someone step in with a few hands on lessons. Schedules permitting, I'm sure I could find a couple of our Ventura County customers to send his way.

Does he have anything in the way of books or DVD's? Have him contact me and I'll do what I can to help him out.

On your guide spacing, there really isn’t a correct “cookie cutter” approach. Spacing varies depending on the blanks action, the reel used, etc… Use the search feature here and search “static testing”. You’ll find more than you ever wanted to know about guide spacing.

What size line do you plan to use on your new rod and how much weight do you plan to throw? Those are key factors in selecting a blank. If you plan to use it from shore much, you might want to look towards the GF900’s or even the Seeker ULUA 10’. Be aware that anything over 8’ gets quite expensive to ship. Also, the longer the blank, the more the fish is going to work you. Tough balance between having enough leverage for a Thresher but still getting the casting distance you need from shore.

We’ve got the blanks you mentioned in stock as well as the ones that I mentioned. If you ever get down this way (57&210 Interchange), you’re welcome to stop by and pull on them.

Also, please contact me when you plan to catch a Thresher from the pier. That should be something to see! lol

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2006 05:00PM

Brandon,
I just competed a Calstar Grafighter 800M that I wrapped bumper stype. Awesome blank with lots of backbone. If your interested, I'll send you the spec sheet so you can see the guide layout for yourself. It's also got some other info such as reel seat, grips, etc. Cut me an emaIl if you want it. I can also send a couple of pics. Randy.

Date: September 07, 2006 01:49AM

Hey Mark thanks again,
As far as the teach, i went to talk to him and i think i might have underestimated him a bit although i dont believe hes any kind of expert and will deffinatly perssue talking to him about having a guest although we dont have class until next friday unfortunatly. As far as a video, I believe he has one that is pretty basic but ill confirm when i talk to him. ill be posting between now and then.
Also avbout the rod use, I acually want it for a couple uses. One would be for 30# mono with a 3 or 4 ounce wieght. The other would be 40# mono.(as far as the wieght i havent had much chance to test wieghts for threshers at gaviota but i believe Ill start out with 5 oz.
Randy,
Sounds awsome, please do email me the specs.

BTW leaning towards the GF900M

Date: September 07, 2006 10:51AM

Brandon,
your Email is hidden. Randy.

Date: September 07, 2006 11:20AM

Randy,

His email addy is at the end of his first post.

Brandon,

I've got a GF900M spiral wrapped with a three guide transition (rather than a bumper) that I LOVE. I throw everything from Iron to Sardines with it and it casts a Country mile with a Trinidad 16N and 25lb. line. You won't get quite the distance with the Jigmaster. A set of Newell bearings (about $6) will help. Eric's in Ventura may have them. If you decide to go with the 900M I can send you my guide layout.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: September 07, 2006 03:31PM

Mark,
OK, guess I missed it the first time, thanks. Just a short sidenote, Mark I sent an email to the business inquiring about the magnifying headsets. Didn't know if you got it or not, sent over the weekend.

Brandon,
It's on the way.

Randy

Date: September 07, 2006 04:03PM

Randy,
I got nuttin'! I went through all the @#$%& inboxes as well as C&M's. Even checked spam folders! Did you use the address below?

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: September 07, 2006 04:27PM

Mark,
I'll send a new one. I used the link on your web page mabe it didn't go through or something. Randy.

Date: September 07, 2006 11:54PM

thanks for the email randy,
mark, im about 90% sure im going with the GF900M and although im a newb and dont know the difference between bumper and a 3 guide transition please do send me the specs so i have omethin to go by, kavesbcc@gmail.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster