I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Acrylic Acetate questions
Posted by: Geoff Creighton (---.gd-ns.com)
Date: September 06, 2006 09:33AM

OK. I'm fairly new to rod building. I have 7 rods under my belt and I'm looking for something new and the acrylic acetate pen blanks for real inserts have really got my attention.

That being said, I have a few questions:
1) I have a Grizzly mini lathe and drill. Can I even turn the acrylic blanks with the proper tools with this setup?
2) What (inexpensive) tools can I use to drill acrylic acetate pen blanks to mount on a mandrel to turn. I won't purchase a drill press, so what do I need to drill the hole with my existing drill so that it is centered?
3) How do I mount the acrylic blank to the mandrel to turn so that I can remove when I'm finished turning? Does the acrylic blank hole size need to be the same as the mandel (ie, 1/2" hole size, 1/2" manderl OD)?

I think that is it for now.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Geoff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Acrylic Acetate questions
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: September 06, 2006 10:51AM

If you have a 3 jaw chuck for the lathe and can mount a drill in the tailstock, then you can drill the material with the lathe. You might want to look into the mandrels that Lamar Fishing has on the list on the left. The threaded ones for turning wood would work. You would drill the material out to fit on the mandrel and try to get it close to the blank size for the least amount of reaming. Woodcraft has some long drills if standard drills are not long enough. I end up using the micro sanding sheets Woodcraft has to get a smooth finish on the material.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 06, 2006 11:58AM

Like Mike said, A 3 or 4 jaw chuck and a drill chuck to fit in the tailstock (about $25). The problem is that it is hard to find pen stock (or any stock, for that matter) more than 5/8" dia. which isn't big enough for reel seats. I found some really sharp 7/8" stock at [www.woodturnerscatalog.com] I don't know about others, but I don't think that I have ever bored a truly centered hole. I bore a 3/8" hole, mount it on one of Andy Dear's new type mandrels and turn it concentric. I turn it round with a 4 in hand file or a Stanley Sure form file than switch to standard lathe tools.
One tip! Drill VERY slow or the heat will soften the stock and deform it.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: September 06, 2006 03:36PM

I would doubt that the Grizzley hobby lathe has enough horsepower to get the job done in less than a week, assuming of course you mean the one that uses the electric drill. I turn a lot of acrylic and it can be pretty tough stuff. Nearly all of what you will find available is not round, and while the catalog may say it is 3/4 x 3/4, I have yet to find one that is truly square. Since the stuff isn't round, a 3 jaw chuck is useless unless you first turn the material round between centers. If this is something you want to do more than a couple of times, you need to get a real lathe, like a Jet Mini, Delta Midi or Rikon Mini. Then you also need a decent 4 jaw scroll chuck, jacobs chuck for the tailstock and some lathe tools, specifically a round nose scraper, parting tool and a skew.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: September 07, 2006 09:40AM

MIni lathe & hobby lathe are 2 different beasts...which do you have?

Posted by: Geoff Creighton (---.gd-ns.com)
Date: September 07, 2006 11:52AM

Sorry guys - I have a hobby lathe and use the grizzly Heavy-Duty 1/2" Electric Drill.

Thanks,
Geoff

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: September 07, 2006 12:26PM

Since you mentioned the drill, I assumed you had the hobby lathe. I would not try to drill acrylic acetate by hand. You're going to need to keep the hole really well centered and you just can't do that by hand. If there is some way to attach a chuck to the tailstock you could do it that way, but without a drill press and decent vise there just isn't any other way to do it. But, even if you can get it drilled straight and centered, there is still the issue of not really having enough power to turn something this hard. The hobby lathe is fine for cork or softwoods but it just isn't adequate for anything else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster