I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for Tuna Jigging Rod
Posted by: Joe Brava (---.ms.com)
Date: September 05, 2006 01:42PM

I am building a Tuna Jigging rod for a traditional NE jigging application. As a basis I am starting with a Seeker CJBF70 (recommended to me by Seeker rep - 7', 30-50lb, fast action Jig/Bait blank).

Just curious what guides people would recommend for this configuration. Some of the guides I was considering are:

* Pac Bay Model B (http://www.fishpacbay.com/prod_gtsaltwater.html)
* Fuji "ICMNSG" (my concern is they may be too light)
* Fuji "HBSG"
* Fuji "USG"

Any help or other component selections appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for Tuna Jigging Rod
Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 05, 2006 02:09PM

Take a look at the new Guides offered by Batson Ent. Model XN. I just finished building 6 new rods with these guides and I feel that the application you are looking for would be an excellent choice. They are in our new 106 page full color catalog ) Pg 97. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
Bill Batson
877-875-2381..

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: September 05, 2006 02:32PM

Joe,
with the factory rods we build for your area we have been using the Fuji Power Oval guides and the BHNNG's. These have worked extremely well and we have received no complaints about the performance.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 05, 2006 02:56PM

The PacBay you mentioned and the USGs are very stiff and don't flex well. This will equate to 'cracked' epoxy at the guide feet. I've not used the new HBSGs, but they will probably be up to the task. The ICMNSGs may just be strong enough, but I've not used those either. The power ovals, like Todd suggests, seem very nice. The two footed versions should be strong enough for what you want.

Are you spiral wrapping? I assume not, but assuming doesn't get me very far as I'm usually wrong.

Good luck.

Jay

Posted by: Joe Brava (---.ms.com)
Date: September 05, 2006 03:10PM

I am spiral wrapping which was a consideration for the Pac Bay "B" series and USGs. I used the USGs in a spiral wrapped 50lb stand-up rod that I built and thought they worked out well in that application but with the whippier jigging blank the cracked epoxy is a valid concern....Thanks for pointing that out.

BTW, how does the sprial wrap change guide suggestions;)

Joe.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2006 09:02PM

HNSG or BHNNG would be my choice.

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.ventca.adelphia.net)
Date: September 05, 2006 09:12PM

I concur with Bill on this one...The 'XN' guides would be perfect for that rod! Im building 2 west coast style jig sticks with them right now. These guides are AWSOME...will be my first choice for 90% of the saltwater jig and bait rods I do from here on out, thats for sure!

Posted by: paul reyburn (---.boeing.com)
Date: September 06, 2006 06:50AM

i have been putting the MNSG on the Jap jigging blanks. i just got the new 6680 lami's and will put MNSG on them. i also have a few older GUSA used for jigging with HNSG/LBSG combo . the BHNNG are nice i just havent put them on jigging rod yet...these are used mostly in new jersey waters

NERBS

Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.78.---)
Date: September 06, 2006 07:54AM

I'd use Fuji LBSG single foot heavy duty boat guides and I'd spiral wrap it. I've used these guides on 80# rods and they work great. Being single foot there are no flexing issues and they weigh less.

Dave

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 06, 2006 09:12AM

Scott,
Would you please post some pictures of the rod when you are finished? This will give folks a first hand look at these new XN guides on a rod. Sales of these new guides have been going very well and I am very excited about them. Thank you'
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast product line
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster