I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10' Steelhead Spin Rod Med Action, Handle/Guide?
Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.69.---)
Date: September 01, 2006 08:30AM

I am building a 10' Med action spinning steelhead rod, fast taper. I have never built one before. My question is: can someone help me with the number of guides, type of guides and the spacing needed. Also how much length for the handle, reel seat and foregrip.
Thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10' Steelhead Spin Rod Med Action, Handle/Guide?
Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: September 01, 2006 08:51AM

Hi Dave. As far as the guides, read up on the following article: [www.rodbuilding.org] In short, the guide size and spacing is a product of the reel you use. Ever since I started using this method, I feel my rods are lighter. It's also much faster to set up. I don't have personal experience building such a rod yet but if all else fails, look to see what production rods are using. At least that would give you some idea.

Kevin

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 01, 2006 09:50AM

Dave,
Handle length is dependent on your stature, how you hold the rod during presentation/type of presentation, and the clothing you wear while fishing. You need to give yourself a little more room to fish the rod while winter fishing for instance because of the rain gear you will be wearing if you live on the west coast..
Rear grip length is also dependent on where you fish. The midwest people use a little different design than the Pacific Northwewst anglers. The mid west design uses a longer foregrip with a shorter rear grip which allows the reel to become a counterweight balance. The Pacific Northwest people fish a rear grip that is usually somewhere in the 12 to 14 inch range with a small 2 to 3 inch foregrip. A little more info would help us help you. Where you fish? Boat or shore? Blank line weight? Time of year your fishing? Reel size? etc. Welcome to the fold of addicted rod builders. or at least you will be.

Posted by: Ryan Wampler (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2006 10:03AM

Dave,

I am in the process of building a 9'6" med-light med-fast action steelhead/salmon rod. I went with a 11.5" rear grip and a 3.5" front grip. I went with a DNPSD20 Fuji reel seat. I mounted it with the threads to the front and trimmed the seat to fit the reel foot. Altogether a VERY comfortable seat and handle. I am using 11 Fuji alconite guides using the New Concept method. The running guides are size 6s.

Hope that's some help!

Ryan

Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.69.---)
Date: September 01, 2006 10:04AM

This rod will be used for 2 applications. First for steelhead fishing (now and next 2 months) in Michigan rivers, Manistee, Muskegon, etc. wading. The second application is for Dale Hollow smallmouth fishing, Nov-Jan., float n fly method , from a boat. Spinning reel will be medium size, using 8-14 lb. test depending on conditions and application.
Thanks,
Dave

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: September 01, 2006 01:51PM

If used for drifting spawn for Steelie. I like a Michigan grip, short (often added on) 4-5" fighting butt and longer (up t0 10") fore grip. The idea is to have a fore arms length worth of Cork. That's Foregrip+Reel seat+fighting butt = your forearm length. This way you can use only one arm to leverage the fish while you move when wading and with the lengtherned fore grip you never choke up onto the hook keeper to fight a fish

As for guide numbers a good starting point is One guide per foot of blank length +1 not including the tip. So with a 10 foot rod I would start the Static test with 11 guides. I like to get 4 guides on the butt section, (and will carry the extra weight of one extra guide to engineer in this feature) but for me, and how I concept guide, 10 ft.is a transition lenght, as lengthened 9'-6" blanks I build that become 9'-10-1/2" have 11 guides and three on the butt section. So I would lengthen your 10 footer to 10'-5" and try and get 4 guides on the butt section for increased load distribution.(also reducing the mean average between all guides) My way of concept guideing uses the bottom edge of the guide ring and the perfectly fine and reliable on site instructions indicate that you use the top edge of the guide , the difference being my 1st guide up is 25-27" in front of the reel spool (normal concept guiding 19-23") once you get to your choke guide size 6 SF guides would be light as they run out to the tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster