I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to permanently deform REC Recoils?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: August 31, 2006 02:47PM

One of REC Recoil's selling point is its elasticity when deformed. It just bounces back.

However, I'd like add some additional light bends into a Recoil guide and have it stay put. Anyone know how to do that with this material? (i.e. heat it? Overbend it?)

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to permanently deform REC Recoils?
Posted by: Luis Villarreal (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2006 04:55PM

Hey, I messed with a few rec guides and come to find out that if you heat them they become very brittle. If you are using them for a spin rod they work great but DO NOT use them on a baitcast rod. Once you get to use the small 8 and 6 you can break them real easy. Plus the line gets tangled in the guide every now and then. Don't get me wrong there great guides for some things but bad for others.

Luis Villarreal
www.bass_v_rods@yahoo.com
Rio Grande City, Tx

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2006 09:17PM

Mo,
I definitely would not heat the Recoil guides. I am reasonable sure that the Recoil guides are annealed. Annealing is a heat treating process where the temperature, how fast they are heated, how slowly they are cooled etc. all will affect the molecular structure of the metal and its the properties. I would be willing to bet that if you heat them you will get some unpleasant surprises in terms of how it affects the characteristics of the guides.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: August 31, 2006 10:15PM

Why do you want to bend them? Like Emory said, the characteristics of the alloy are dependent on it's heat treatment. Annealing to make it less brittle, and remove internal stresses in the metal. Heating would possibly change that dramatically. Also, the alloy REC uses falls into the category of Shape Memory alloy. Often heating is a way to change this property and allow the metal to be re-formed to a new shape, but the cooling used is done in stages at different rates to maintain the characteristic once it cools. I don't think you'd be able to replicate that method, and it's likely to ruin the guide.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2006 12:17AM

Well.....I guess I won't be heating any guides anytime soon. LOL.

I'd still like to know how to put a permanent bend in them if possible. I want to bend them to raise or lower the 'ring' to suit. This is very important for a specific use of the Recoil that I have in mind.

Thanks!
Mo

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: September 01, 2006 02:55AM

Not possible any other way, other than to try and bend way past reasonable, and hope the springback is a bit smaller.

Posted by: Bob Purvis (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: September 03, 2006 01:00PM

To change the subject a little, does anyone have experience with the Recoil guides on a 10 - 11 foot surf rod. How do they handle bigger fish and do they restrict distance? Thanks, Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster