I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: @#$%& deals?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 31, 2006 07:14AM

I've had quite a few guys come in with G Loomis blems, that I'm not sure who really made them. They weren't anything close to the Loomis products I'm familiar with in weight, action, or dimensionally. I've bought a few reelseats that were no longer available, the rest I buy from the sponsors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2006 07:40AM

According to Loomis, they do not sell blems. So most likely the guys were buying very cheap oriental made blanks being sold as Loomis blems by an unscrupulous @#$%&.

Date: August 31, 2006 07:48AM

Raymond,

I do not frown upon @#$%& sellers because I want to protect the sponsors. I frown upon them because they do not help me foot the bill for this site. Why should they get a free ride here? I certainly don't.

A guy who sells his product on @#$%& pays @#$%& a fee to market and sell his product there. If he wants to advertise his @#$%& @#$%& here on this site, he should be willing to pay a fee here as well. I've yet to meet one who was willing to do that.

Besides that, I have control over who is a sponsor here. If a company turns out to be cheating people, I can get rid of them easy enough. But I have no control over who sells on @#$%&. I don't want to see links to a dishonest @#$%& seller popping up here over and over, defrauding builders who read about the great "deals" from links on this site.

So for the record, no, @#$%& links are not allowed here. I appreciate your understanding.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: August 31, 2006 07:48AM

I'm sure what started this thread is that there is a guy on @#$%& currently selling "Loomis blems" - I would imagine everyone on this board has the good sense to steer WELL clear of that guy!! The reason St. Croix stopped selling their seconds/blems is due to unscrupulous types buying seconds and selling them as firsts, or building up the blanks and selling them as a first quality custom rod. It was a bummer for me, I live very near the St. Croix factory - not that I would want to build on seconds, but the first rod I built was on an SCII "second" that the only thing wrong with was a tiny little finish blemish halfway up the blank. They were a good source for "learning" blanks, and close to home :-) They have started selling their "second" fly rod tips again - lots of people build those up into ice fishing rods - they had even stopped selling those for awhile.

Date: August 31, 2006 08:09AM

That's the problem - you really don't know what it is he's selling. Loomis says they don't sell blems and even if they did, how did this guy manage to get hold of them? The Loomis name sells, and sellers know that. So you stick the name on a dime store blank and reap the profits. Maybe. He could be legitimate, but then again...

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 31, 2006 08:40AM

I bought some cork from @#$%& from a seller with a 100% feedback rating. It was not the quality that he showed on the photo. I complained and was told "tough." I added negative feedback but the seller then turned around put negative feedback on my own 100% positive feedback score. Said I was an "unreasonable customer and did not suggest doing business with me."

The feedback ratings are not something you can totally trust. For me, no more purchases on @#$%&. For every truly good deal there is a stinker just waiting to bite you.

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 31, 2006 12:12PM

Buying something on @#$%& is really a common sense issue. You always have the option of checking the sellers feedback and while there checking what kind/type items that they have been selling. That can give clues if they are knowledgable about the item that you are interested in. You always have the option of contacting the seller and questioning them about the item, which often can give you clues from their answer.

There is a fair possibillity that rod building components originally came from one of the sponsors prior to falling into the hands of the @#$%& seller.

Is it more fair to slam @#$%& as a whole over an undesireable seller than if you were confronted with an overzealous clerk in one of the sponsors stores and were sold a bill of goods. I suspect that you would report it to the store owner/manager instead of posting on all of the available forums that "Jim Bobs Tackle Supply" is a piece of _____!

Is it morally wrong to buy components from a sponsor that also sells custom rods, Make a rod and sell it, as opposed to taking it back to them so they can sell it?

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 31, 2006 01:01PM

ADDENDUM TO PREVIOUS POST:

I wholeheartedly agree that links to @#$%& sellers should not be posted here. They should not get a free ride, plus if someone wants to check there for an item, it"s their responsibality to do an @#$%& search for it, not sit on their duff and wait for someone else to find it and provide the info.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2006 03:48PM

Hi Tom,

I understand completely and aggree whole heartedly!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 02, 2006 05:13PM

The problem is buying a blank being advertised as a particular model, then either using it of trying to pass it off as such.

If I treat them as cheap no name blanks that I personally warrant, then I see no problems with buying ANY blank on @#$%&.

Lou

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: September 07, 2006 09:59AM

@#$%& is great........but you have to use common sense.

As mentioned above look at the sellers feed back from other buyers and the number of transactions. If the sellers has many transactions and all good feedback the chances are they are very reputable.

Sometimes you get what you pay for....If I am getting a blank for 5.00 w/o a warrantee or manufactures sticker I would assume it is not a first quality blank.

You can also ask questions about an item for the seller...if you are not sure or want more detail ask.

If @#$%& didn't work it wouldn't be so popular......while I don't buy many things from @#$%&....I wouldn't hesitate on certain things. While on the other hand I don't think blanks would be my first choice of items I am going to use @#$%& for.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster