I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sage 00
Posted by: Brant Widness (---.static.gci.net)
Date: August 30, 2006 10:59AM

I recently purchased a Sage TXL 00 and was wondering if anyone else who had built one on here had any advice or tips for this rod or light weight rods in general. I really look forward to using this rod and don't want to screw it up.

Thanks,
Brant

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sage 00
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 30, 2006 11:21AM

A skeleton cap & ring or double rings reelseat with a cork insert, a cork grip to fit your hand, and a # 8 C/BLAG Alconite fly guide for a stripping guide with the lightest single foot snakes available to and for the tip. Use a Forhan locking wrap on each guide. Minimise the wraps. Pearsoll's Gossamer or Naples silk is perfect for this. Take your time, don't get ahead of yourself. Ralph

Posted by: Paul McRoberts (---.cityofnapa.org)
Date: August 30, 2006 12:34PM

I own several of these rods (Different weights) and I went with the sized down struble up locking nickel silver reel seat same as the factory rods. It is light (Maybe not as light as all cork with rings), but not significantly heavier. My reels on these rods are too valuable to me. The thought of hearing one plop into the drink and watching it bounce along the river bed was enough to keep me from going with rings.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: August 30, 2006 01:05PM

Ralph and Paul both make good points. The factory Sage is overbuilt in my opinion, but a NS cap and ring set doesn't save much over an aluminum screw seat and the screw lock is a lot more secure. You can save weight with a 2 ounce reel and/or aluminum cap and ring. You will notice the short grip on the factory Sage, which I like. I would suggest building with double foot RECs because of their flex. Single foot RECs as a second choice. Silk thread is good with a minimum amount of finish.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 30, 2006 05:45PM

Paul, Don, have either of you made your own cork insert for either a cap & ring or a double ring reelseat? I admit the ones you buy ready made have problems with some reel feet not fitting snugly. But if you make the cork insert to fit Your reel's foot you'll not have a problem with the rings loosening. The ready made inserts are made to fit most reel teef so they fit very few well. This means they're too small in diameter for most reel feet. When I build an insert for a cap & ring or double ring reelseat I make sure of the fit with the reel which will be used on that rod. Look at the REC seats #CRAS- HDWR Alum. & PLRN & PLRN-HDWR nickelsilver reelseats at REC on the left. Either would be great on the 00. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2006 05:57PM by Ralph Jones.

Posted by: Paul McRoberts (---.cityofnapa.org)
Date: August 30, 2006 07:38PM

Ralph,

Yes, I have and do make my own inserts. I agree that it can be done, in fact I use a lot of cap and ring seats on the bamboos I build. Goldenwitch hardware is nice for cap and ring seats because they have addressed the issues of fit and snugness. I guess personally I have found that cork tends to compress at the reel foot over time, and then you have the looseness. You can turn or shape cork to your reel, but I don't use the same reel all the time. You can try a hardwood cap and ring seat, but if I am going hardwood, I am going uplock nickel silver. But, like most of this it is a matter of what you like and want to see on your rod. Although bamboo purists will not like this, I prefer uplock nickel silver on my personal bamboos over the cap and ring seats, but i still mill both types for my customers.

Posted by: Brant Widness (---.static.gci.net)
Date: August 30, 2006 11:56PM

Thanks for all the advice. I will post a picture on here when I'm done.

Brant

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: August 31, 2006 10:55AM

I don't turn my own cork inserts and so have used the Cortland hardware. A pocket cap and ring is more secure than double rings. I really would like to try a couple of mortized cork inserts for some non-pocketed hardware. Is this feasible Paul? Don

Posted by: Paul McRoberts (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: August 31, 2006 10:25PM

Don,

What I have done in the past with cork is similar to what Orvis would do on their one and two weights. They would use cork with two rings, and totally flatten the area where the reel would mount. Cork is soft and workable enough that you could do more of a mortise, but I would think it need to be done by hand. You could make a sanding block that has a cove of the appropriate size, and glue sandpaper to that profile and sand away, until the mortise is appropriate. Just a thought.

Posted by: Arthur Mayfield (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: September 01, 2006 01:30PM

I mortise my cork seats (by hand with folded sandpaper and careful work) just deeply enough to hold the reel foot from sliding side to side. REC used to offer mortised cork seats, but they discontinued them some years back, probably because doing it with a mill would be about as much of a pain as mortising rubber. I never have problems with reels falling out of my seats, but I have learned some lessons about cork/ring seats over the years: Use the very best cork you can find for seats (I pick out seat corks from every batch first and set them aside); Glue it under pressure with an adhesive that can withstand some wetting and dries flexible, like Titebond III--epoxy makes hard glue lines that can cause trouble in later years; Make sure the reel is fitted to the seat very well (flattened or mortised) and that the rings don't dig into the cork or the reel foot (I like the old un-adonized feet that used to come on CFO's and still come on Hardy Lightweight series reels because the unfinished aluminum surface "grabs" the inside of the ring better and the feet can be filed/sanded for a better fit without making them look horrible, and I'm very critical of sliding ring design--currently using the rings from the Struble "27" series seats; don't ever leave a reel mounted to the rod overnight--let the cork recover between fishing trips; be prepared to mount a new seat in the future when the original wears out, because they eventually will. One thing I have considered but haven't yet tried is making cork/ring seats from rubberized cork rings, although I make a butt piece for my double ring seats from rubberized cork and it works great--looks good with a little varnish rubbed in, too.

Posted by: Bill Brochue (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: September 01, 2006 02:59PM

Brant

You are going to have some fun!
I just returned form a trip last weekend fishing my just finished TXL 0710-3 for Golden Trout in the Sierras, (Troy Meadows and Horseshoe Meadows)
Awesome rod.
I used a Golden Witch cap and ring seat, snakes with silk and Diamondite Resin. No bubbles like the Sage made.
Total weight 1.92 oz. ( Sage factory are 1.937 or 1,15/16 oz.)

Good Luck

Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster