I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Posted by: Eric Davidson (---.geneva.edu)
Date: August 28, 2006 04:43PM

Hi all!

I have been considering making a few rods for a while now and have a few questions on where to start. I read the FAQ's and did some searches and didn't find what I was looking for. I also just started sifting through the posts starting with the earliest ones but 663 pages of posts is a little cumbersome for a newbie.

So, what is the best way to start building rods (spinning and casting for bass fishing)??? Is it better to stick with big names for the blanks (st. crouix or g.loomis) or are blanks from places like Janns Netcraft and Cabelas of equal quality? Is it better to buy a kit for the first rod or buy components individually? Should I buy a book before I start drilling you guys with all my questions? If so, what book(s) do you recommend (I do remember seeing a list of some books in the FAQ's)?

Is there a post that I have not found yet that explains some of these things?

I'm sorry if all of these things are covered somewhere already. If I missed them in my searches let me know so you don't have to repeat everything for me.

Thanks,
Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: newbie
Posted by: darren tucker (---.pppoe-dynamic.nl.aliant.n)
Date: August 28, 2006 05:33PM

Hi I am a newbie myself and started out building on Sevier tiger eye blanks and components because it is a great looking blank at a great price. And am glad that I did because after only building 5 rods I have came along way. I'm glade that my first rod didn't cost me a few hundred dollars. I use the book Rod Building Guide by Tom Kirkman, Hook & hackle have some complete kits in G.Loomis and others,Make sure you have all the supplies you need before you start check out @#$%& and Black Dog tackle great service and shipping.
Darren Tucker
NL,Canada

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2006 05:42PM

Price does not necessarily indicate quality. There are expensive blanks and inexpensive blanks, all of very good quality. The less expensive blanks are generally a bit heavier per the same stiffness, but for a beginner (or anyone for that matter) there are some super buys in great quality, nicely performing blanks for very little money these days. Don't shy away from a blank just because it doesn't cost a ton.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: August 28, 2006 05:46PM

Start with paying a visit to the sponsors listed on the left. They have everything you'll need to start and finish your rods. Several good books are available, try searching this site for "rodbuilding books" and use all dates. Subscribe to RodMaker Magazine. Don't worry about "big names", just start with what you want to use. And don't worry about making us repeat things.....I think that's called learning. Have fun and thanks for coming on the board.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: August 28, 2006 05:46PM

Several of the sponsors on the left carry rodbuilding books that will help you get started. Videos and DVDs are also available. These items are reasonably priced and will serve as a reference for you as you continue in the craft.

There are also several sponsors that sell very affordable blanks and components (myself included) who can assemble a kit for you an help you select the correct items to build your first rod(s). I wouldn't start out by investing too much in the first few rods. In fact, back when I started, I took some garage sale rods and rebuilt them as practice projects.

This is the place to ask questions as you go along. You will get answers and helpful advice. Good luck.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: August 28, 2006 06:57PM

another great place to as questions would be the vendors themselves. each one i've ordered from has been very helpful in helping me narrow down choices they had on hand. of course it would help you to learn as much as possible first to help the vendors while on the phone with them. their time is money too.

whether to buy a kit or piece everything together at first is up to you. kits make it easy, but since most are surprised how well their first rod turns out, i would be advantageous for you to learn as much as possible when it comes to what components are available. for me, piecing them together was well worth it since building a rod myself with the specific components i liked (cosmetically as well as funnctionally) is the main draw for assembling a rod. a kit would negate the basic idea of assembling my own rods. and it takes a couple of night's worth of reading to get the basics.

tom's book was very helpful, but i added also flex coat's little pamphlet and LA Garcia's book on handcrafting a graphite rod. together, each helped a heck of a lot although if you wanted only one, i would suggest tom's.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 28, 2006 08:12PM

eric
If you go to the Bingham Enterprises sight and scroll down to near the bottom of the page they have a section on rod building tips. There is some real good info there. Also if you can get your hands on a mudhole tackle catalog they have a section on building rods with some good info in it.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 28, 2006 08:25PM

Go to Mudhole.com and click on Rodbuilding 101 at the top of the page. Lot's of articles, tips and a few videos. In my opinion Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman is a must have. Best $15 you will spend on this hobby. Most vendors n the left carry it!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2006 08:43PM

Hi Eric,

The only thing I could add would be to look at the Directory section here and see if there is a rod
builder listed in or near where you live. The directory is there for builders to contact each other
and to help beginners find rodbuilders who would offer help and advise. We post there because
we want to be contacted so dont think your bothering anyone OK.

Oh, BTW, it helps if you let them know your good with a lawn mower or car wash mitten!
LOL! only kidding!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: August 28, 2006 11:42PM

I agree with all the above, espeically getting getting the Rod Building Guide by Tom Kirkman, because the illustrations along with the text really are a primer for doing this. You'll also hear about Clemens' original three books (don't discount the value of the original one), but actually I found Tom's book to be a great distillation of them plus others twoo. The Flex Coat pamphlet is also cvery good.

I don't mean any disrespect to the Cabelas folks but in the last couple years their rodmaking supplies catalog has seen a marked decline in variety of stuff and a marked increase in both price and shipping. I used them for many years but lately, many of the things they used to carry aren't even available from them any more. I think you can do better with components or kits from a number of the sponsors on the left. Even better, any of these folks will help you to assemble what amounts to a kit and their prices will be competitive and more than fair. Don't be afraid to ask about anything you need to know - I know of no one who will not take the time to give you honest and accurate answers.

Uncle Russ

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: August 29, 2006 12:36PM

Eric,

Most rods are very simialr in the skills you will need to build them.........so just build something you want to fish with. One type of rod isn't really much easier to build than another so might as well get one you want.

This site is great......Tom's book is very good...easy to understand..full of good pics (worth a thousand words).

I would suggest you find a sponsor in your area, this will save you some shipping costs. Any of the sponsors I have used have been great people to deal with without exception. I would call them and tell them what kind of rod you want and they should be able to recommend a few options for you that you can narrow based on price and your preferences. I would suggest ordering your components from one source for your first couple rods....the sponsor in most cases will help you get the right components that fit together. Kits are fine....But most suppliers will help you get what you want and still fit together...after all you are making this custom.

Some of the less expensive blanks are awesome and a great value....I highly recommend Sevier Tiger Eye and all the Batson products. Many of the "brand name" rods are more expensive partly because they have more costs due to marketing etc. They are not necessarily superior products.

Posted by: Patrick Hoppe (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2006 01:39PM

I am also new at this and I have found mud hole had some great unfinished rods that you have to sand great for practice and not to bad to fish with but at 5.00 great way to start . They are not the straightest and I had to trim the tip but I ended up with a nice 6'3" also I just finished one from Black Dog and I can't wait to fish with it and the tiger eye effect of these rods is wounderful. I also order from Cabelas but watch the sales and compair prices. Keep reading posts and keep the drying rack full and turning is my advise:)

Posted by: Eric Davidson (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: September 02, 2006 12:03PM

Thanks for all the responses. I will do some more research and buy a few books. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before I start building my first rod. Thanks!!!

Eric

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster