I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Popping blanks vs crankbait blanks
Posted by: Phil Keys (---.pool.twotrees.net)
Date: August 28, 2006 02:23PM

Could someone explain the differences between and respective advantages of these two styles of blanks for throwing crankbaits and jerkbaits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Popping blanks vs crankbait blanks
Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: August 28, 2006 02:29PM

Crank bait rod typically has a soft slower action tip...popping rod is generally faster

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 28, 2006 04:05PM

Phil,

I have a Rainshadow IP903 7'6" Popping blank that I use as a crankbait rod. I've had many crankin rods and this is by FAR the best one I've ever used.

I don't think it's very fast at all, it's a moderate action and I thought? all popping blanks were moderate action/slower to help keep fish attached on treble hooks and allow the fish more of a chance to suck in the lure before the rod reacts and pulls it out of the fish's mouth.

DR

Posted by: Chris Rhoden (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: August 28, 2006 06:53PM

Most popping and crankbait blanks have similar rod actions, usually in the medium fast to medium range. But most guys prefer to have soft tip with a stronger butt for cranksbaits, so the rod still casts good but you don't have to worry about using too stiff a rod and you can still fight a decent fish. These is especially true of rods for deep divers. But popping rods typically don't have a much backbone compared to most crank rods. You stee, when you fish topwater with a popping rod, you're more likely to hook'em when they hit. You have to be patient on your hookset when a fish blows up on a topwater and a heavier rod can be hindrance. Since the popping rod is "soft" and has enough tip to bend a bit without the fish feeling you, you can wait and get your nerves together for just a second or two longer before you set the hook. Plus, they are usually much lighter in overall weight and can toss a little 1/4oz. popper longs distance all day without wearing you out. I know a lot of guys who using both types of rods for their cranks and rip baits(jerkbaits), and many guys love the popping rods for both topwater and ripping. I use a Loomis CB blank myself because I need more power to get fish away from cover.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 28, 2006 07:11PM

I use an 8ft Lamaglas popping blank that I love for fishing big crank baits. But use a "CRANK BAIT" blanks for the rest of my crank bait fishing. The advantage of my 8 footer is
1-I can cast it further than any crank bait rod I've ever had my hands on
2-I can stick 3ft' of it down in the water to get my bait down deeper with out doing what
is known as "kneeling and reeling"
3- the softer upper end provides a lot of cushin for fighting larger bass.

Down side- I have found, because of it’s softer upper 1/3 that If I use standard mono line, that has a lot of stretch. I lose more fish. (Not enough backbone for good hook set). So I use fluorocarbon to eliminate the problem.

I plan on building another one soon on the blank that DR suggests. Mostly because of some other input he offered in the past on that blank. But if they make it in an 8footer I will probably use that length.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: August 30, 2006 10:33AM

Just to clarify....I did not say a Popping blank was fast.

"Crankbait" rods that I have seen have very slow tips.....for a while there were several manufactureers making commercial rods with a graphite butt section and a glass tip. I have never seen a popping rod like that???

For the record I don't like this type of rod...but each to his own. I also don't do a bunch of crankbait fishin either.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 30, 2006 11:30AM

The only blank listed as 'popping' that I've used up to this point is the AmTak Matrix 6-12# model. For the line class I would list it as somewhat fast action with a good backbone. Makes for a great trout (saltwater) rod. I am interested in other 'popping' blanks, but it seems they don't all share the same action? I try to look at the tip and butt diameters and make an edjumacated guess at what the action will be like...I'm probably wrong most of the time!

I've never used a crankbait blank.

Jay

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 30, 2006 12:25PM

Have used my Loomis 7 ft 4 power popping rods for cranks for many years, also work for jerkbaits. I have some 4 power Lamiglas XP964 8 ft 4 power blanks that I'm playing with now to see how they do, so far they appear very similar. The 3 and 4 power popping rod blanks are a very versatile blank that can be used for many species and situations, stretched a 8 ft Lamiglas to 8 ft 6 in blank and trying it a salmon spinner rod.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: September 01, 2006 10:49AM

Spencer,
that 964 is what Emory uses quite a few of and I think he also extends them to 8'6" and possibly 9' for the application you referenced. I use the 7'6" IMP764 model extended 3" and they are my goto rod for running plugs and small diver & baits. it really allows the plugs to perform well.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster