I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Getting Started
Posted by: Nicholas Christie (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2006 01:05AM

Hey Guys, hows it going? i was on here awhile back and you really helped me alot. one of you even sent me Tom Kirman's book (sorry i forget your name). But i couldent get into it becouse of certian reasons, so i am know wondering what a good set-up would be to get started (keep in mind, i dont have alot of money); i am going to be fishing for trout (the serrias, and lake amador trout). And where could i get it (such as the sites on the left hand side). Thank you so much again,

-Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting Started
Posted by: Devin Murakami (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2006 01:11AM

You thanks Nick for setting me up with this site... now I just need to find a good bass blank. Devin

Date: August 26, 2006 01:17AM

no problem bud, know you needed some help, and these gentlemen are the ones who can give it to you!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2006 01:18AM

Hi Nicholas!

Hows the shoulder??

Give Neal a call. His website is down but I think it
would be better you talk to him and he can put together
a nice kit to fit your budget!!

Robert at FishStcks4U is also one I would call.

Email me cuz I may have a few thingsI could let you have (blank, cork,. eva,)
either free or at a very much reduced cost.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: August 26, 2006 01:22AM

Devin,
What kind of bass blank are you looking for?

Or, what type of bass fishing do like to do? Worming, dropshot, plugg'in?

Raymond Adams

Date: August 26, 2006 01:26AM

Ray thank you again, and the shoulder is great (kinda sore from pulling in all of the salmon this year though =D). and i shot you an email bro. i cant thank you enough, and i will have to talk to you more. And i might have to take you up on the rod ecquipment (i will talk to you about a price, becouse i know you have nice things, and it doesent sit with me right to just take it.). Also, what is Neals sight? i am going to have to give him a PM awsell. thank you again so much Ray.

-Nick

Date: August 26, 2006 01:40AM

Nick,
A link to Neal's is in the sponsors list on the left. Maybe he will see this and post
his phone # as I dont have it in front on me. His website is down right now due to
server problems. Try the link, you probably can get his phone # there even if the rest
is not working.

Got your email and sent a reply.

Some of the stuff I have I got on @#$%& really cheap and I will not be using anyway
so If it can be used to help someone else get started it would make me very happy!

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: August 26, 2006 05:06AM

Like Raymond said, call Robert at fishsticks4u. Ask him about Batson's Rainshadow blanks and he can help you pick out a rod to suit your needs. Batson's blanks are great blanks and are much more reasonable in price then some of the big name rod companies (and they are just as nice). For Lake Amador you'll need a good 6' 6" to 7 ft rod with some back bone and a sensitve tip, since sometimes the hits can be very light . The Cutbows in Amador are some of the hardest fishing trout I have ever caught. They tend to stay in the upper 5 feet of the water when the water is cool and are great jumpers. They routinely average 3-6 plus pounds and an 8 to 10 pounder is not uncommon. Since its a small lake, the waters is too warm to fish for trout right now, however its full of monster bass and catfish. The trout go deep and pretty much stop feeding during the warm summer months. Once the water cools down, the owners of Lake Amador will start their heavy fall/winter planting program. The trout are a strain from Sweden and are raised in a hatchery right on the property. Hope this helps you.

Date: August 26, 2006 11:48AM

Rich, you are right on. But What type of rod would be able to do that? I Was looking at the rainshadow blanks, and i came up with these two...

Part # Color Length Pcs Line Wt. Lure Wt. Butt Tip Action Power Blank Wt

SPG842 Gloss Black 7' 0" 1 6-12lb. 1/8-1/2 oz. 0.500 6.0 Mod L 2.38 oz.

I like it becouse it has a backbone, but it has a fairley light tip to it, so when i am waiting for a strike, i can see it. and that is why i usually like to fish ultra lights at amador (Trust me, its a real kick to catch an amador bow with an ultra light icefishing pole =D). its got the nice lenght so that it makes it eaisier for me to whip it out there farther. My Only Problem is the lure weight, becouse some of the cast masters and weights that i throw (about 1/2oz barrel weights, and castmasters) are maxing it out. and i preferably dont want to break it. So should i go to the 1/8-5/8 oz.? or do you think that i could do it with that one? thanks for the help,

-Nick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2006 12:11PM by Nicholas Christie.

Date: August 26, 2006 01:05PM

Nicholas,

By all means go with the slightly heavier tiped blank if you will be
throwing mosly 1/2oz.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2006 04:39PM

Nick,I was thinking about you last week when a few people posted about being new the craft.I was the one that sent the book,I`m sure it served you well in the down time.You cannot read it too many times for every time something else will finally stick in your head.Glad to see you are back!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: August 26, 2006 06:32PM

Thank you aswell fred. i am going to be getting started pretty soon, been talking to Ray, and he has been helping me out alot. so i have the blank that i want, and the guides, now all i need is the handle, thread, and well, alot of stuff =D Thanks for the help guys,

-Nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster