I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix Imperial
Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 25, 2006 07:11AM

Is the St. Croix imperial line built on their SCll blanks? I have a friend who is looking for a 7'6" 4pc. 4wt, and has tried a bunch of rods and settled on that one. I looked on the St Croix site, and I guess they don't list that line of rods anymore. I've only built on and fished SClll (avid series) and up.
In a related question, how does the Imperial compair to the (old) RX7? I purchased several of that blank when cascade closed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix Imperial
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 25, 2006 09:55AM

The Imperial models were the older SCII made here in the U.S. I believe the new SCII are made overseas and are the basis for the company's new line of Triumph and Reign fly rods.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: August 25, 2006 12:54PM

The chesnut SCII Imperials are no longer being made, They were the same as the entry level blue Pro Graphite blank but with better components and a rod tube. The Pro Graphite rods gave way to the matte blk Premier rods which are still around but the Imperials have been replaced as Tom said by the Reign series which for about the same price comes with the lifetime unconditional warranty where as the old Imperials only had a two year warranty. (back then you had to buy SCIII's for the bettter warranty) Both Reign and Premier are SCII graphite as were the Imperial and Pro graphite before them, You really didn't get away from Croix's entry level product until the AVID series and its introduction of SCIII graphite. The Reign R764.4 7'-6" 4 pc 4 wt w/tube lists for $150. I have the Imperial 7'-6" 2pc 4 wt and tied that fly blank along with a 7'-6" Imp 2pc 6 wt into bone-a-fide spinning rods the lighter of the two, my favotrite UL rod and riot for small mouth. As for the Rainshadow....I would equate that series to be more in line with the SCIII line of St Croix Rods at least the price points are similar if not the above entry level graphite

Date: August 25, 2006 08:51PM

thanks guys. Since the blank isn't around any more, I'm going to build on the RX7, and see what he thinks. I'm sure he'll love it.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.insightbb.com)
Date: August 26, 2006 09:14PM

Bob, although I didn't build on that exact Imperial blank that you mentioned, I've built enough of them over the years to say that the SC II blanks of the Imperial line were fairly slow rods by todays design and the RX 7 will be much faster. You might want to have him try a Forecast blank by Batson as that would probably more closely resemble the older Imperials.

Date: August 26, 2006 09:39PM

Thanks Rob, that helps alot.

Date: August 26, 2006 09:39PM

Thanks Rob, that helps alot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster