I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"new" waterslide decals and time in water
Posted by: Patrick W. Heintz (---.aurorahealthcare.org)
Date: August 24, 2006 03:00PM

I recently ordered my first set of waterslide decals from Decal Connection, and opted for their "new" type. I've read a lot of posts recently about being strict in leaving the decals in distilled water for only 5 seconds, but the website directions say it may take 1-2 minutes in water for the new type. Can anyone comment on how long to leave the "new" decals in water? Does the 5 second rule still apply? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "new" waterslide decals and time in water
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 24, 2006 03:38PM

The people to ask about this are the people who are making the new type decals - Decal Connection.

Posted by: Daniel Hall (---.tamc.amedd.army.mil)
Date: August 24, 2006 04:03PM

I used the new ones recently. First, I put a few drops of water on the tabletop. Then I put the decal in the bowl of water for 5 seconds. After five seconds, I placed the decal face up on the drops of water and took 5-10 seconds to brush on a little MicroSet. Then I placed the decal on (make sure both hands are wet) by pulling the leading edge of the backing with my finger. Sometimes it took a bit of effort to get it going, but once it started going, it slid onto the blank easily. Then I followed with MicroSet, dry, MicroSol, dry, possibly a second MIcroSol, then dry.

The biggest trouble I seemed to run into was that the MicroSol left a little whitish film on the decal and rod blank. I "buffed" it off with a soft, dry paper towel after everything had dried for hours.

They turned out very nice, so 5 seconds seems to still work well.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 24, 2006 04:24PM

First thing that I would do is to follow the directions provided by the company! They should best know how to use their product!!! Then, if there was a problem, I would do a search on the board. This subject was discussed at length within the last couple of days.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: August 24, 2006 04:50PM

Daniel or others-

Is there a board sponser that you bought the Microset or Microsol? I saw this 2 issues ago in Toms magazine, my decals are coming in a few days and would like to follow the instructions in the magazine., Anyhow thanks in advance!

Jeffrey

Posted by: Patrick W. Heintz (---.aurorahealthcare.org)
Date: August 24, 2006 04:58PM

Daniel,
thanks for the info.

Jeffrey,
Decal Connection sells them.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2006 05:20PM

Jeffrey; Order both from Decal Connection.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: August 24, 2006 05:46PM

When I first started using decals I had trouble. Like most things, I've gotten better with experience and I don't often have difficulty with them anymore. The best advice that I can give anyone on their first attempts is to what others have previously said - follow the directions - AND don't get in a hurry. Relax and be patient; give the Microsol and Microset plenty of time to work and don't be so quick to get a coat of epoxy over it. I'll often apply my decals one evening before I go to bed and let them set overnight and apply the epoxy the following evening. Having used both the old and new style of decal paper, I like the new style better. It's worth with the slightly highr cost.

Sam Stoner

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.dhs.gov)
Date: August 24, 2006 11:08PM

Patrick, keep in mind I am a complete newbie to this hoby, having only built three rods and only used the new waterslide for the first time the other day. I did mine exactly as Daniel Hall described. I also used my finger and moistened the blank just a little. However, I did not use the Microsol/Microset solutions. Instead, shortly after applying the decal and blotting it off with a lint free towel, I applied a coat of Gudebrod 811 and let dry for approx. 24hrs before applying Threadmaster. I'm not reccomending you should not use the solutions, but I didn't and I could not be happier with the results. I'm not even sure the 811 was necessary, but I figured it wouldn't hurt anything. Again, I'm a newbie so take it for what it is worth. I may have just got lucky! LOL!

TJ

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2006 09:11AM

Don't forget to order two sets of decals - that way you'll be ready to put on the second one after you've messed up the first !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster