I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone use Recoil RSF for spin rods?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: August 23, 2006 06:29PM

Anyone here use Recoil RSF (single foot fly rod guides, not snake guides) for spin blanks? Would love to hear your thumbs up or thumbs down thoughts.

Thanks,
Mo

ps: Yes, I know they have the RSPG specifically for 'single foot spinning rod'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2006 06:33PM by Mo Yang.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone use Recoil RSF for spin rods?
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 23, 2006 08:52PM

You can build an EXTREMELY light, ultra lite spinning rod, using both the RSPG and the RSF and think on the lines of a "Fuji Concept' with a wire type guide.

Mike

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2006 09:12PM

Yep!
Although I wish I had used the RSF model guides. The last spin/fly combo rod I built
I used the RSPG and Recoil snakes instead of the RSF type. I gave the rod to a friend
and I'm still waiting for him to fish it and get back to me with his opinion on performance.

That 4pc 3wt rod with a cork Tennessee handle is the lightest rod Ive built to date!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: ALTON BENTLEY (---.bragg.army.mil)
Date: August 24, 2006 08:31AM

MO
I just finished a 6' 10" drop shot spinning rod using recoil guides. I have not fished it as of yet. Plan on doing so this week-end. The rod is extremely light. Believe it will truly perform well on the water.

Date: August 24, 2006 09:18AM

Mo

One comment on the guides. I am truly a rookie at building rods, however when I attached my thread on the blank and after about 5 wraps attempted to run the thread upon the leg of the guide I seemed to have a hard time. The thread kept on slipping off. I had to go way up on the leg with several wraps and then slowly push the threads toward the end of the leg to keep the thread on the leg. Dont know if it my technique or perhaps the leg needs to be file down some more. The guides come with the leg already filed/shaped. Perhaps if anyone else has try installing the recoil guides can add some substance to my problem. But after all it may not be a problem at all. Just the way you have to run the thread up on the leg to get it started.

Posted by: Daniel Axelrod (204.134.52.---)
Date: August 24, 2006 01:34PM

Alton,

Even though the legs were pre-ground, you still need to do some prepping on your own. There tons of info on this board on how to do that. Be very careful with the RSF guides, If you grind past the point where the legs are soldered together, the two legs may spring apart on you.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: August 24, 2006 02:46PM

Alton, did you use the RSF or RSPG?

Anyone else who have actually used the RSF on spin?

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 24, 2006 09:02PM

Mo, Haven't tried the RSF, but the heavier RSFX I have used on a dropshot and some walleye jig rods. I probably could have used the lighter guides, but I had a bunch of the heavy ones from steelhead fly rods so I used them.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2006 09:39PM

Spencer,

GREAT! It actually doesn't matter whether it is the RSF or RSFX. I was simply wondering whether the lack of foot height reduced your casting distance using light lines on spin rigs. However, given that this is a dropshot and walleye jig, doesn't sound like casting distance is an important goal?

I mentioned RSF simply because with light line, I don't think that the RSX is necessary.

Mo

Date: August 25, 2006 07:59AM

MO
I used RSPG!

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.crarc.org)
Date: August 25, 2006 08:57AM

Yes I used them on a rod I just finished. St. Croix 4S69MLXF. Its a drop shot rod. They kept the tip section as light as I could. I imagine that there must be some line slap and loss of distance during casting because the single foot fly guides are basically flush with the blank, but I can't tell any difference in reality. This is the lightest option I am aware of and I actually think I can feel the difference versus using TiSic flies or size 6 RSPGs as the running guides. I have also used them on a couple of spiral casting rods with positive results too. The RSFs look a little out of place, but Recoils in general are not going to win a beauty prize.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster