I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how do i replace guides that have already been finished?
Posted by: Tyson Oakes (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: August 22, 2006 09:56AM

I have a rod i would like to redo and put my own set of guides on it but i am not sure how to remove the old guides and epoxy...what do i use and what can i do to make it look right???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how do i replace guides that have already been finished?
Posted by: Jason Alvarado (---.ccz-ncr.navy.mil)
Date: August 22, 2006 10:10AM

You can file off the finish/thread on top of the guide feet until they are exposed and just pull them off. Then all you have to worry about is getting a hold of one of the threads and pulling on it till the whole wrap is off. It might take a few tries because the thread is severed on top but eventually it all comes off. Use 600 grit sandpaper to smoothen the surface. Clean with alcohol and let dry. Thats what I've done

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: August 22, 2006 10:59AM

Cut the wraps and epoxy along the top of the guide feet with a stiff
sharp knife being careful not to nick the blank. Remove the guides.

Peel the old wraps and epoxy off with a thumb nail and then use
a plastic scraper and hair dryer to remove stubbord old finish.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: August 22, 2006 11:08AM

As always, be cautious with the application of heat to a blank. Even a hair dryer gets hot enough to cause blank failure. This I know - from experience......

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: August 22, 2006 11:09AM

Scrape/cut down to the top of the guide foot with an exacto knife, You can heat the reamining threads, or use denatured alcohol to soften the expoy to unravel or remove the old thread. There will be some epoxy that has sealed the thread as it was placed onto the blank itself, you can sometimes pick at this and it will come off in flakes or an entire clear semi circle of thread epoxy will loosen and pop up off the blank. Try not to blemish the blank if you plan on moving the guides otherwise place the new wraps over where the old ones were and you don't have to worry so much about blank blemishes when preping/reoving old guides, but it is best to return the blank to as smooth flat and uniformas state as posibble without blemish.

Retie the guides back on with in the confines of the old thread foot print, apply color perserver, wait 24 hrs , apply thread epoxy in thin coats, For information on how to do that or just about anything else that concerne rod building: Do a SEARCH on this site, it will help imensely without asking and waiting for the varied number of responces and most all questions have already been answered before in a number of ways.

Posted by: Tyson Oakes (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: August 22, 2006 02:00PM

thanks for the help guys...i appreciate that

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: August 23, 2006 09:27AM

A suggestion that I may have missed in the posts above: When making your cuts, if you cut only on the top of the guide foot, *towards the guide*, on both sides, if you do slip, the guide will stop the blade from careening nto your finger, or worse, into the blank.
Your finger would heal, but the blank would suffer a perm. wound.
You can then take that band of thread and remove it, just like a band on a duck's foot. The remaining thread can be simply unwound. The tag ends usually makes their presence known. If not, it's not hard to locate them, and unravel the rest of the wraps.
Another trick that you can practice, ***on a tramp rod***, is to heat the blade of a click click knife (those break off blade types) to red hot, and slice thru the resin on the top of the guide, like butter. By the time you get the blade positioned, it's still very hot, but not red hot.
Best to use a metal-housed knife, like Olfa.

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 25, 2006 02:40PM

Greetings,

I have done what you are considering, manytimes. Perhaps, giving that 'prize' blank a new life.
And on one occasion, I used a Dremel tool (producing heat) to assist in the parts removal and cleanups. Please dont use heat sources unless you really are ready for bad news.

The re-finished rod looked absolutely beautiful as a fishing tool. 'Then' and this only happened 'once ', after perhaps 30 minutes of really encouraging and long casts.
There came a resounding Kraack!
The parts were re-harvested and the main blank pieces became 10 1/2 feet of handle 'reamer candidates'.
And beforehand, (a 'must do') I had carefully evaluated the potentials of that blank and these were 'all' very positive indicators.
In short, if the 'underlying blank' is a piece of junk its unlikely that the end result will truly be worth your efforts and your signature.
Lessons learned:
o For blank survival; no heat and as a few others have stated use a dime-store 'razor-knife' for making parallel cuts on the top of the wrapping (over the guide-feet and within the epoxy coating). After enough 'wrapping' has been removed; then you'll be able to roll the guide off from its footings.
Also do 'cleanup' by making 'planing-type' parallel cuts.

About heat; I would suggest if I didnt know what 'X'-amount of heat is going to do to that 'prize' blank. Why would I be using 'heat'?

Tyson, I have done this 'reguide' operation manytimes and excepting the once (just mentioned) with excellent results. I'll do it again.

Good luck,
Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster