I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3 Piece 9-10ft spinning/fly blank recommendations
Posted by: Michael Shea (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 21, 2006 02:07AM

G'Day,

I'm after (as the subject states) a 3 (or 4 piece) 9 to 10 ft spinning blank. I added fly blank simply because there aren't many 3 or more piece spinning blanks around.

I'll be primarily using it in the surf for Tailor (I think you guys call them Bluefish) and possible Jewfish (Mulloway - I'm not sure what this fish is called in the states).

The lures that I will typically be using range from 10g (3/8oz) to around 50g (1 3/4oz - round it to say 2oz).

I'll be using 20lb braided line on a 4500 size spinning reel.

The distances that I would need to cast it is up to around 80m at most.

I've tried searching and haven't really found anything that matches my criteria yet. I'm not after a super expensive blank either, so unsanded blanks are fine with me (which is what most of the Australian produced surf/rock blanks are anyway).

Thanks,
Mike.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3 Piece 9-10ft spinning/fly blank recommendations
Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2006 07:10AM

Hi Mike:

I have on hand a St. Croix 3FT1008 4pc 10' , 8 weight blank that might be what you are looking for. It is from a special order where a customer bailed out on me, and it hasn't seen any interest since. I am motivated to move it off the floor, so please do not assume it is super expensive. I can't list prices on the board, but you can e-mail me at pmaltby@ackfishing.com, or call 860-656-6904 for more information, including the price, shipping to AU and all that business. Don't be alarmed by prices you may see elsewhere for this blank. I've been looking at it for too long sitting on the shelf.

If you think this may suit your needs please contact me. I've currently got about 5 other shipments going to Austrlia at the moment, and could certainly make a 6th.

Hope to hear from you, or good luck in your search.

Kind Regards,

Peter Maltby
[www.ackfishing.com]
860-656-6904
866-285-0673
02070784004 London
pmaltby@ackfishing.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 21, 2006 07:36AM

Sounds like your looking at at least a 15 wt fly blank. There is an article at www.mexfish.com about a 3 piece Graphite USA 18 wt blank built as a spinning rod that might be just what your looking for. He wasn't done playing with it yet, but he was in the 100 yd realm during initial testing with 2 oz. if I remember right.

Posted by: Michael Shea (58.162.71.---)
Date: August 22, 2006 03:20AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Peter, I think an 8 weight would be too light for what I'm after (according to the general fly line weight/16 equation anyway).

Spencer, that article describes exactly what I'm after, except that in it, he states that the blank was custom made for him by GUSA, and theiroff the shelf blanks already cost a fortune, I'd hate to see how much that one off would cost me!

David, Your post might be removed automatically due to you not having a first and last name listed, so I've copied your reply here:

>> Michael,
>>
>> Have you considered finding a suitable 1 peice rod, cutting it into 3 peices and making your
>> own ferrules from fibreglass scrap?. I've made a few 3 peice rods this way. They work fine
>> and it can be a lot cheaper than purchasing 3 peice blanks. If you don't mind making the
>> ferrules yourself you' quickly find a lot more blanks that are suitable for the job. If you also
>> don't mind cuttiing or extending the blank you'll find even more suitable blanks.
>>
>> (One of my favourite rods is a 3 peice 7 footer that I built by extending a very cheap
>> blemished 6 foot 1 peice blank and then cutting it into 3 peices).
>>
>> Maybe a blank like an Australian 6110 will do the job? If you don't have any scrap fibreglass
>> to make the ferrules buy a 2nd 6110 and it will still be a lot less expensive than buying one 3
>> peice blank. You'll also have a lot of fibreglass left over to make other ferrules and extension
>> peices for other rods
>>
>> DavidM

I have actually thought about getting two of the same 1 piece blank and cutting them down to size, except I'm not confident of my own ferrule making abilities. In any case, from what I've read, can you use two identical blanks to make the ferrules? I thought the ferrule had to be made of a smaller blank thickness than the main blank due to the fact that the area would be overloaded otherwise?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: August 22, 2006 08:11AM

Have you tried talking to CTS, they are developing some blanks for the US that aren't their norm, maybe they can come up with something. They have blanks now to 15 wt in a fast action the Salt Affinity S XF.

Date: August 22, 2006 05:40PM

Hi Spencer,

Yes, they were one of the first I was looking at and the Salt Affinity S was the exact blank I was looking at also. Unfortunately they too are pretty expensive. I'm thinking at this stage I'm going to simply buy two of the same blank and make my own ferrules (it'll cost me only around $100 AUD to get a 3 piece blank in the configuration that I want rather than the $3-400+ AUD for these other custom ones).

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 23, 2006 11:50AM

Angler's Workshop in in the US has a travel salmon blank that (15 to 30 lb line) that looks like it would split the difference cost wise.

Date: August 23, 2006 06:03PM

Thanks Spencer, that seems exactly what I'm after!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster