I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip sizing - which to trust
Posted by: John Richardson (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: August 20, 2006 07:19PM

Hi!

I just measured the tip on a popping rod blank. The manufacturer lists the tip size as 4.5. However, using my Tip Sizer that I got a gift in Charlotte from one of the component manufacturers, I find that the tip is tight on the 5.0 hole and looks like it will fit the 5.5 better.

Which measurement do I trust? The manufacturer's listed tip size or the Tip Sizer. Would I do better to buy a micrometer and just measure it with a more precision instrument? When you are dealing with SiC-ringed titanium tips it does get expensive to buy them in a variety of sizes.

I have a decent caliper that I got for metallic cartridge reloading. Would that work when you are getting down in size with the tips?

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

John

Waynesville, North Carolina --
Gateway to the Smokies

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip sizing - which to trust
Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: August 20, 2006 07:49PM

Buy the size you measure. That is the only certain way to be right. The tip sizes are in 64ths so your caliper measurements should be accurate if converted to inch scale.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 20, 2006 08:10PM

I'd go with the5.0.
Of all the tips with a tip sizer, I've mesured never had a problem going with the size it is.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 20, 2006 08:38PM

The manufacturer's listed size is a target spec, not the actual size. When ordering tips, I usually order the size listed, plus one smaller and one larger. In time, you'll use them all anyway.

If you have the blank in hand already, buy the one that seems to fit the best per your sizing guage.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2006 11:22PM

I jus torder a size or 2 bigger than the rated specs. THis allows me to order what I need without having the blank in hald. Worst cast I build up with thread or with a light coat of finish. I haven't had a tip top NOT fit in several years.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2006 05:15AM

go with the Sizer and go +/- if you like. Tip repair is a very common problem,so the extras will come in handy

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2006 07:43AM

Want to play around with some inexpensive tips, not quite sure of the size?

Check out of the Fuji list, litterally thousands of them. [www.ackfishing.com]

Don't pay any attention to all the directions, minimum order ,etc. I'll sell you 1 tip, or any quantity. It will be easier to order them soon, than just having the current PDF file on the site.

Kind Regards,

Peter Maltby
ACK Fishing & Tackle LLC
866-285-0673 Toll Free

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: August 21, 2006 10:13AM

Besides purchasing insurance and buying an extra size tip/ top. And if one did I would buy a size bigger so it could be used if the blank breaks very near the tip, given the smaller mfg claimed size fits. But I preferr to buy the blank and tip from the same distributor. When I call ahead to check on avialability I enquire with the distributor, or make sure there is a speacial instructions note (for the order picker) on the invoice to check the tip barrel fit for compatability with the blank. Thats why dealing with a smaller distributor operation can be benefical

Posted by: John Richardson (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: August 21, 2006 10:42AM

There are a lot of good points here. First, that the manufacturer's specs are targets. Trust your own measurement. Second, to buy at least a second tip top that is larger in case of breakage to the rod tip. Finally, if ordering the blank and tip at the same time, ask them to make sure it fits before they ship.

Being a bit of a newbie, I went with the manufacturer's measurements and took them as gospel. I have learned my lesson. Measure first then order the tip.

I'll still probably try and pick up a used micrometer off of @#$%& to double check the measurements of the Tip Sizer. I can always use it for reloading as well.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. Peter, expect an order in the next few days.

-John

Waynesville, North Carolina --
Gateway to the Smokies

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: August 22, 2006 11:51AM

John:

Thats not the worst of it.....say the MFG is accurate on their products tip sizing, and it is indeed what they have represented. On the distributor end: if he does not check the exact tip to that exact blank there still can be trouble because I have recieved the wrong size barrel in the correctly labled bag that the tip came in? So the MFG of the blank and tip got it right, I ordered the correct items to build the rod, asking the distributor to check the blank tip dimensions, but somehow the tip was mislabeld..which in some cases the distributor wishes you to return the item and you may have to wait for it to return to them before they ship the correct one back to you, causing a double to and from shipping delay?

Now the time it did happen to me, and it was from one of this fine boards great sponcers, they sent me the correct tip at the same time I returned the correctly ordered but mis packed tip back to them saving half the possible shipping time such a happenstand might incurr. So eventually you will learn almost every possible way something will get screwed up and adapt a proceedure that covers every aspect, but you still will have trouble becuase mistakes will happen.

A mistake is like a crime, for any crime commited there are 50 things that can go wrong. a genious is only going to be able to think of 25 things, and adapt procedures to counteract those possibilities. We are not geneiouses so there are things we can not even envision that will trip up mere mortals, like the time a way overdue double rod tube was still late, past three backorder dates and G-loomis gave me the explaination that the boat the tube was on sank? Go figure for that.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: August 23, 2006 05:50PM

When the blank and the tip are ordered at the same time from me, I check the fit before I ship them. As mentioned above, too many times the blank or the tip are off just enough to cause problems. I sleep better knowing that I sent components that will fit together.

For tips ordered separate from blanks, I suggest that you buy one size larger and one size smaller just to be safe. Joe

Joe Douglas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster