I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New website online
Posted by: Antti Kymalainen (---.dhcp.inet.fi)
Date: August 20, 2006 11:37AM

Hi fellow rodbuilders,

I have finally got my new website online and thought maybe some of you are interested to go to have a look. You'll find there for example many stories of my fishing trips including detailed diary of fishing in Vancouver island. Also you find detailed information of all my custom built fly rods with pictures. Any feedback of the site either positive or negative are really appreciated.

Site is here [www.hullukala.com]

br,
Antti Kymäläinen
Finland

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New website online
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 20, 2006 11:43AM

My Bad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2006 12:20PM by Steve Gardner.

Date: August 20, 2006 12:14PM

Steve,

If you go there and see what the site holds, you might pull away that comment. I have always given my advise free and hence i have built that site. To share information of my rods (includung info on components, spacing charts, fitting lines, etc). I DO NOT build rods to anyone else, just for me and to close friends FREE of charge. It's a personal website, not commercial. Flyfishing and fly rod building are my hobbies, I get payed from doing something else....

If administrator sees this post inproper, he will surely remove it.

br, Antti

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 20, 2006 12:19PM

I did and I apologize for the post it will be removed

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 20, 2006 12:22PM

I really enjoyed visiting your site. It would really be nice if I had the ability to visit many sites such as yours and get "an in depth feel" for builders who frequent this board. Your site is well done and clearly demonstrates your level of interest in fishing and rodbuilding. I find it to be informative, interesting and purely non commercial. I also wish more people would take the time to use this boards features and enter the information in provided fields in the personal data section. Sometimes it would really help when I am wondering about backgrounds.

Thanks for sharing.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 20, 2006 12:26PM

Anitti, Great site and very well done. I enjoyed sharing your travels/experiences with you.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: August 20, 2006 12:34PM

Steve,
No harm done :)

Bill,
Thanks for the nice words. They really made me feel that I have done something that might help everybody else with same interests. I have got soo much information from this rodbuilding.org site so it's good that i can give some back....

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 20, 2006 12:35PM

I wonder how many people fully appreciate this message board and the capabilities of the internet. It is a complete marvel to me that people in Finland, Louisiana, Michigan and anywhere else can exchange ideas in minutes and in some cases resolve conflicts in an immediate reasonable manner. Not too many years ago the example that this thread demonstrated could have taken months to settle and may have ended up in a war!

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2006 01:45PM

Antti,

Your flyrods are amazing!! Each handle section is a work of art, thanks for the link!

Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: August 20, 2006 03:46PM

Hi Antti,

really nice pictures and very very well done handles, really. Are teh birchbark handles able to cope with saltwater or just freshwater possible? Coated or sealed surface? Really like the look.

Regards from Germany (sorry not that far away than the US),
Ole

Date: August 20, 2006 04:26PM

Jan-Ole,

You can use birch bark in salt water but need to be careful like with wood. I'd say you do well if you dont get handle really wet. But, if you don't really want use it, I'd say better without bark in saltwater. I have coated bark with tru oil, two coats and it feels really nice in hand. Full article about this method can be read at Rodmaker magazine issue 9 #2.

Thanks all for nice feedback....

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2006 08:08PM

Terve Antti;

I see that you work for Stora enso and work in the automation department. You must be very familiar with my company..Metso Automation.

I think my friend Juha Mykkanen covers your mill.

Like your handle and am going to try this on one of my fly rods this winter.

Can you believe I have been to Finland about 40 times and only fished once and that was in Tampere in front of the Tako mill for salmon. The only way I could fish was to keep buying Koff beer for the guy who let me use his fly rod.

Maybe one day we can hook up to fish as I can't find anyone I know in Tampere who likes to fish.

Ernie

Posted by: Antti Kymalainen (---.storaenso.com)
Date: August 21, 2006 12:01AM

Ernie,

Yes I know the company and we do work with those guys.

My home town is about 400 km away from Tampere so I dont know many of it's fishing places in Tampere. Although when you next time come to Finland, please drop me an email and I get you a fishing partner or at least seach some good places for you to fish on. There are few very many good rapids close to Tampere, one for example where you can get (with good luck and skills) a trophy sized brown trouts (up to 70 cm). It's fishing licences are much wanted and hence if you are interested, let me know as soon as possible when you know for sure that you are coming. If you are able with your time in Finland, you are of course welcome to Imatra and fish with me on river Vuoksi. I can provide a boat, guide and gear to fish :)

Antti

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: August 21, 2006 03:50AM

Antti,

Very impressive website and a beautiful family. I feel like I have come to know you and I enjoyed all of the personal photos you included on your site. I also enjoyed viewing the beautiful rods you have built and seeing the photos of the dandy fish you have caught. Its just amazing how a website like RBO and can bring so many people together (from around the world) through the single passion of building custom fishing rods. Thanks Antti for sharing your website and your life in Finland with us.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: August 21, 2006 08:04AM

I'm going to try some of the bark handles on some bass rods I'm making for a cousin for Christmas. I don't see why they wouldn't be just as good on any type of rod. I do wonder if other types of bark might work just as well or if birch is the only one that will give a nice look to the handle. I have the Rodmaker article and may just have to try several types. I can see where the thick stiff bark of things like Oak wouldn't be any good, but it seems like any thin and slightly flexible bark might do okay.

This website proves once again that you don't have to pay a fee or join a club to be part of the much larger worldwide rod building community.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2006 10:46PM

Love the site Antti!
Thanks for sharing! i TRIED to sign the guest book but the spam
filter kept me from completeing it. I guess Im not seeing the characters
in the test window correctly. Will try again later.

Cuddos!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Antti Kymalainen (---.storaenso.com)
Date: August 21, 2006 11:46PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone,

Good that you liked my site and its content. Like Shawn said already, it's nice to be a part in this community where everyone shares their knowledge for free and help those in need of aid. I have been very fortunate to receive information here when I started to build rods and now I can do the same favor for some of you. I have received some enquiries through my website and I'll answer them all today, was too busy yesterday....

Raymond, if you cant see the letters right on spam filter, there's button next to box where you can refresh spam letters as long as you get ones you can read alright. Hope you get past it :)

Antti

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster