I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Inserts
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.44.104.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: August 19, 2006 11:00AM

I recently made a reel seat insert to match the wood grip for a fly rod I am making for a customer. I finished the grip with six coats of Tru-Oil and was gong to do the same for the insert. However, I know how wet the reel seat gets when the line is retrieved or when in my haste I reach down to net a trout and find that I let the butt of the rod get into the water.

Woud it be better to coat the insert with Perma Gloss and then coat with six coats of Tru-Oil or to apply the Perma Gloss after the six coats of Tru-Oil. For the second method, I worry a bit about matching the "gloss" on the insert to that on the grip. Any of you who have experience with this, please offer me your advice. As always, thanks for your help.

Mike Blomme

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Inserts
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: August 19, 2006 11:07AM

Tru Oil is a gunstock finish, I have no idea how you keep a gun out of the weather here in the Pac NW and have never had a problem. Haven't had any problems with Tru Oil and water on rods either.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 19, 2006 11:39AM

I would go with just the Tru Oil, like Spener said!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 19, 2006 11:45AM

Michael, I would use Tru-Oi for this. Five or six coats should be fine. If you try Perma-Gloss & Tru-Oil together put them on a scrap to see the results. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 19, 2006 12:35PM

I made some inserts awhile back. Were what I did was put them in a jar filled with the finish I was using and let them soak for a week.
Removed them and hung them up to dry. Been using the rod since Jan of 2003. With out any problems.
I figured if it took a week for the finish to penetrate as far as it could, there was no way that an accidental dip in the creek would affect it.
I’ve been trying remember what finish, but cannot sorry.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.27.105.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 19, 2006 09:44PM

If your reelseat is getting wet, so is your grip. What is the maximum length between the two, one inch? Finish them both the same way, with the same product. Even in a worst case scenario in your wildest nightmares, they will then fade/discolor/etc... equally.

Posted by: Daryl Dertell (---.nelson.netidea.bc.ca)
Date: August 20, 2006 12:08AM

I have turned wooden inserts and put them in a small glass jar filled with tung oil, covered with plastic lid and put in microwave , heated in short segments. you have to put lid on loosely. With out boiling the oil you can see bubbles coming out of wood when oil is hot.I have never tryed this with true oil, but bet it would work same.The inserts treated this way seem to be stable ,so far at least. They will also buff up to semi gloss finish.The wood will float when you start and will sink when full of oil,so know it is soaking it up.give it a try and see what you think. Daryl

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 20, 2006 09:48AM

Don't try to combine PermaGloss and Tru-Oil. Use one or the other. PermaGloss is much harder and more of a "lifetime" finish, but Tru-Oil is certainly easy to use and imparts a nice color to lighter woods.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (216.166.138.---)
Date: August 20, 2006 02:17PM

Think about what PermaGloss is. If you use it first, the Tru-Oil will never get to the wood.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster