I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Watch those fingers!!!!!!
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 17, 2006 10:37AM

Just a word of safety here. I was working on my lathe polishing a mandrel. As I was working back and forth my left index finger got to close to the four jaw chuck. One of the jaws caught my finger right on the end splitting it. It also split my finger nail almost half way down. And let me tell ya, you just don't know how much you use that finger till hurts right on the very end of it. Makes typing tough too. Lots of hitting the backspace button! LOL

So, always be aware of that spinning chuck. Come to think of it, maybe the manufacturers can make a bolt-on sheild for their lathes.

Thanks,
Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2006 01:06PM by Steve Parks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Watch those fingers!!!!!!
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 17, 2006 11:55AM

One thing for sure, Steve, it will feel better when it quits hurting. Been there, done that, and wore the bandage. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: August 17, 2006 03:47PM

Hopefully you will learn faster than I do! It has taken several lessons to remind me that the chuck is harder than my fingers.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 17, 2006 04:44PM

I have my knuckles busted open more that once on the ckuck jaws. It hurts. Not as bad as when a single edged razor broke while trying to slice off thread over a guide - the 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/4" piece of razor left buried in the finish when the blade broke did a number on my forefinger!!

Lou

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: August 17, 2006 04:49PM

Lathes are quite dangerous indeed. I was using mine last week to center bore out some wood stock for a friend who's turning them into reelseats. I wasn't paying enough attention and when backing out the jacob's chuck / drill bit from the wood I was boring, the chuck became loose in the tailstock. (Cue slow motion horror movie style music and frame rate)

As I angled my torso and face back and bent over with a big reach to slam the power switch to off, the jacobs chuck spun wildly out of the work piece and shot through the air and stuck into a wood panelled wall like a bullet about 8 feet up the wall.

Needless to say it was Divine intervention that saved me from have a 7" bit spiked through my sternum that morning.

The scarey part is thinking about how close I was to death in the instant. For sure my wife wouldn't have found me until way too late since I was out in the garage with the door closed.

I use this as a learning experience. I do everything extremely slow and diligently now. Using the lathe has now become a game of chess. I think two steps ahead before making any move.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2006 04:49PM by Domenic Federico.

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 17, 2006 10:30PM

Yowwwzer!
One thing that you can do is make a shield out of cardboard. Take a large square and make a hole in it corresponding to the mandrel height from the lathe bed. Duct tape the square to the bed so that it is perpendicular to the lathe bed, with the mandrel passing though the hole, with the square direcly in front of the chuck. This does 2 things. Keeps your fingers in one piece, and isolates the wind field produced by the chuck. It's really helpful with dust collection if you can stop the chuck from blowing the dust all over the place. If by chance something goes terribly wrong, it's only cardboard, and will pose no danger from flying off, around, banging into the chuck, etc.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 20, 2006 08:33PM

Bob,

Thanks for that suggestion. It comes from a person who has been traumatized several times from a spinning chuck, as most of have.

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster