I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Comfortable reel seat
Posted by: Bob Purvis (---.139.255.206.cable.pnbl.cablelynx.com)
Date: August 14, 2006 11:44PM

Does anyone know of a spinning reel seat (in 16 to 20 id size) that is more comfortable on the hand than the standard seat? Holding a surf rod by the reel seat all day makes even my big paws sore. I've tried things like bat tape to cushion the seat but they are just clumsy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comfortable reel seat
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2006 12:03AM

I have not tried one of these yet but plan to soon.
Take a look at this.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

and this

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2006 12:11AM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2006 12:22AM

Flocking my be something you might want to look into as well.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: August 15, 2006 05:02AM

I find the Fuji NPS spinning seat to be very comfortable to fish all day in the hand, comes in a couple sizes. That's the seat you can see part of in Raymond's last post picture. The first pictures are of an American Tackle 16 mm reelseat.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: August 15, 2006 06:50AM

Size 17 skeleton seat, ergonomic cork insert, tapered to the same shape as the Fuji IPS. With a 3 inch or so fore section of a split grip, you'll basically get the same effect as the Fuji NPS or IPS, but in the 17 size, which I have found to be the most comfortable size. In size 16, you can do the same thing, but then the IPS and the Aero expand your options. Same in size 18, except add the NPS.

Here's a pic of my size 16 ergonomic seat and handle setup.

www.rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1523/cat/507/page/1

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2006 07:27AM

I agree that the Fuji NPS is really comfortable. I used a size 18mm on my brother's Salmon rod and turned the foregrip down to the same diameter as the front neck. It's like a long extention that really feels great.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: August 15, 2006 10:58AM

Big hands, I'd go with a larger O.D. reel seat of the ones diprcted, say an 18, they are generally more comfortable even for the smaller hand.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2006 11:23AM

i agree with chris karp on the larger size. i have fairly large hands and i make my handles, even on my smaller fly rods(4wt), fairly large to fit my hands. i find the larger diameter seats and handles dont fatigue my hands as much. i have had customers look at them and say it doesnt look "traditional" ,but change their minds when they cast it.
good luck
j p timberlake

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 15, 2006 11:32AM

A flocked Fuji NPS is ultra comfortable! The seats in Raymonds first post are one of my favorites but wish the come in something bigger than a 16

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster