I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recoil Guides
Posted by: Simon C. Joseph (---.www.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: August 14, 2006 02:21PM

Evening all,

Whilst browsing the Cabela's site, I saw that some of their own brand rods, the XML Ti range, use Titanium wire Recoil guides.

What are your views on these guides with regard to quality and longevity?

I am planning on having 6' ultra light built and am contemplating these guides as an alternative to Fuji's etc. It seems weird having a guide that doesn't have a ceramic liner.

Would they be suitable for use with braid, as this is all I use?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recoil Guides
Posted by: Daniel Hall (---.tamc.amedd.army.mil)
Date: August 14, 2006 02:31PM

I like them on fly rods. The stripper guides to make a funny humming sound when a bonefish is running, but are otherwise very light and durable. I like that I will never lose a ceramic insert on them. FWIW though, I am using Fuji TiSic stippers on the ords I'm building now, followed by single foot recoils after that.

The sinlge foot fly guides are not as durable as the snakes.

I haven't used the spin ones.

Check the archives here... lots of other opinions.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: August 14, 2006 03:21PM

Braid won't hurt any guide, it's the dirt and crud that gets in the braid that damges guides. Recoils will work fine on an ultralight. Longevity, they haven't been out long enough for any info that I know of.

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2006 06:37PM

Simon,
Recoil makes a spinning guide, which has two loops of wire, and a fly guide which has only one loop. I used the spinning guides with braided line and switched back to mono/florocarbon line because I didn't like the noise of the line running through the guides. If you want to read what REC says about Recoils, regarding longevity, click on their link on the left as they are sponsors and probably have everything you want to know about them on their site. Good product and very forgiving as they snap back into shpe when they are bent over.
Lynn
Santa Rosa, CA

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2006 10:11PM

There are applications where the Recoils really shine IMHO.
One of these is ultralight spinning using mono. If you dont
mind the sound they make when using braid (any wire type
guide will make thoses sounds) then you cant go wrong with
them. If weight and durability are deciding factors Recoils
are a great choice.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bob Purvis (---.139.255.206.cable.pnbl.cablelynx.com)
Date: August 14, 2006 11:24PM

Has anyone tried the Recoil guides on a surf rod? Are they strong enough to hold their shape when a 20 or 30 pound fish is pulling drag?

Posted by: Simon C. Joseph (---.idnet.net)
Date: August 15, 2006 02:21AM

Thanks to you all for your rapid replies.

It seriously looks like I'll be going for the Recoils. For me line hiss isn't an issue, light weight and durability are.

Thanks once again.

Simon.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: August 15, 2006 04:30AM

Don't put to much importance on the snap back feature of the REC guides, the only problem I've had with them has been from people showing their budddies that feature one to many times.

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2006 07:59AM

Hi Simon:

Give me a call on the RECOIL guides. I stock and sell quite a number of them. I know you can get them direct from REC at MSRP, but give me a call or e-mail me for some additional information on them price wise etc. I'm about 30 minutes from the factory in CT.

They are fantastic guides, and just got a whole new batch of them in stock.

Try us out, you might be surprised.

Peter Maltby
pmaltby@ackfishing.com
[www.ackfishing.com]
Toll Free 866-285-0673

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster