I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Who likes Gator Glass?
Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.for.dsl.connect.net.au)
Date: August 11, 2006 05:34AM

Tell me about Gator Glass - as sold by the sponsors

What do you / don't you like about them?

Are they E-glass / S-glass / Fibre glass / what?

I've never seen one
Robert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who likes Gator Glass?
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: August 11, 2006 07:31AM

I've played with them a little bit, and if I recall correctly, they are glass. The Good - they remind me of the original Ugly Stiks. Inexpensive and darn near bulletproof. Flexible as heck but about as unbreakable as you can get. The Bad - they remind me of the original Ugly Stiks. Not the lightest and/or the most sensitive blanks in the world, but they aren't made to be either. The Ugly - they remind me of the original Ugly Stiks. They don't have a smooth finish. They have almost an unfinished look, with ridges and swirls and in their own way, they look sort of cool in a mean way. Nothing elegant about them.

If you want an inexpensive workhorse rod that you are going to beat the stuffing out of and sensitivity isn't an issue, I don't think they are all that bad. I wouldn't make a walleye rod out of one, but for big river catfish or pike, I wouldn't hesitate at all. I'd have a few myself if they offered a two piece. Still might get a few and convert them, maybe for a winter project.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: August 11, 2006 07:55AM

Tehy have thier place - some people want cheap rods they can beat teh snot out of and not worry about it breaking. And if it does break, it was cheap so I'll just grabn one of teh 10 backups I have, lol. Just because a person doesn't want a top quality blank, doesn't mean they do not appreciate a balanced rod, with the right length/diameter grips. There's all levels of custom, and this is one of them.

I here tehy are good for pole vaulting too.

Posted by: John Britt (67.9.2.---)
Date: August 11, 2006 09:44AM

Robert they were for years the main stay of Star Rods before they moved off shore still used by many companies for their finished rods, as has been described one tough blank manufactured in Miami by Gatorglass laminating, if they have any disadvantage it is they are generaly heavier then models offered by other companies,good blank good value
John

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: August 11, 2006 01:20PM

They are perfect for banging around the boat and not worrying about. I build them for a bunch of commercial grouper guys here in St. Petersburg, FL. I build the T80XH black on black with the NFG guides becuase they don't have to worry about them breaking, inserts popping out, etc. They are a bit heavy but when you are strapping 9/0 Senators to them with electramates a little extra weight in the rod is not noticeable. Sensitivity is not a factor as grouper rarely "nibble" the bait.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: August 11, 2006 01:38PM

I have been using Gator blanks since the early 90's and buy the standup blanks by the hundred.I have had very little breakage and the price is right. The company has changed owners several times over the 13 years I have used their product and my source in Miami tells me the current product is not as durable as the older blanks. Jesse

Posted by: Richard Popola (---.carnival.com)
Date: August 11, 2006 01:47PM

I use Gator blanks but my favorite is the T80H which I use for 7' gaffs.
Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster