I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do you use syringes?
Posted by: David Wells (---.212.39.162.ip.alltel.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 05:16PM

I've always used the 12cc FlexCoat syringes for measuring my finish by pulling the plunger completely out and pouring the finish into the syringe from a yorker cap on the bottle. I replace the syringes on a regular basis because I always eventually cross contaminate the syringes or otherwise create a problem for myself.

The latest batch of FlexCoat syringes I received are the newer all plastic type with no rubber on the plunger. These syringes are not meant to have the plunger pulled out completely hence my question. How are you guys using syringes? Do you pour a bit of finish into a small cup and suck it up from there or are you somehow @#$%& it directly from the bottle (messy), or what?

Thanks in advance for your advice and for bearing with me for asking so simple a question.

David

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you use syringes?
Posted by: Michael Shea (203.57.223.---)
Date: August 10, 2006 05:25PM

Put a hole into the tops of the caps covering the resin/hardener bottles, small enough for the tip of the syringe to jam in tightly. Put your syringe tip into the hole and invert the bottle to suck out as much resin/hardener as you like. When done (wipe the tip with denatured alcohol and) put the syringe back into the hole and leave it there (it will be airtight).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2006 05:27PM by Michael Shea.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 05:31PM

One other step in this process is to make a rack to store the bottles upsidedown a 1/2 hour before use so that no air is trapped near the tip of the syringe.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Michael Shea (203.57.223.---)
Date: August 10, 2006 05:51PM

Yeh, you also need to do what Fred mentioned as its a real pain in the backside trying to suck out resin (it seems to be the resin most of the time for me) with large air bubbles stuffing up the resin/hardener ratio.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 10, 2006 05:53PM

Like Michael and Fred said!! I am on my 3rd year with the same set (several different finishes) and have NEVER cleaned them. I keep them stuck in a hole in the bottle cap with the plungers drawn back an inch or so, just invert bottle and draw out what I need! Quick, easy, accurate and never get them mixed up. (use the syringes withOUT rubber stoppers, though)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 07:52PM

If you will just invert the bottle let the bubble rise and then squeeze the plastic bottle as you extract the liquid you won't have bubbles in the syringe.

Posted by: David Wells (---.212.39.162.ip.alltel.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 07:54PM

Simple enough guys!!! Thanks very much for the help!

David

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: August 10, 2006 08:04PM

Same story. Take the bottle caps that already come on the bottle of resin and hardener and drill a hole that is smaller than the tip of the syringe. You want the tip to SQUEEZE in and completely stop up the hole. I store my syringes right in the bottle caps on the bottles at all times. To use just invert the bottles, allow the liquid to flow down, let the bubbles rise up and out of the way, slowly draw the liquid into the syringe (pulling the plunger fast will suck air into the bottle...go slow), turn the bottle back upright and pop the syringe out of the cap. When the liquid has been expelled into your mixing container simply put it right back into the bottle cap. I've NEVER wiped it off with alcohol or anything. It simply doesn't get messy so there is no need to waste time cleaning it.

I too am on about my third year with the same two syringes. Actually, I'm using the original bottle caps that I drilled out too! When I get new bottles of epoxy I just take off the new caps and put on my drilled out caps. This is the cleanest method I have ever used for drawing out epoxy...bar none. The best part is that it's FREE! No need to buy special caps that allow the insersion of syringes when you can just pop a hole in the original cap for zero dollars.

It really is this simple.

Jay

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 08:56PM

Ditto!
One of the best and first tips I got when I found RBO!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Russ Blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 11:14PM

Maybe I am just lucky? But for over 6 yrs all I do is pour my finish into a measuring cup. First the resin to the 5cc line and then the hardener to the 10cc line and mix it with half a popscicle stick. Pour it in a hand made little plate(out of aluminum foil) and give it a quick flame to remove the bubbles and then apply.....................
I can count on 1 hand how many times i have a bad mix and since I went to Andy's Threadmaster it has never occurred. So WHY even fuss with syringes in the first place?

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 11:56PM

its a personal preference and with me there is NO fuss and
works great everytime with no doubts. I've also just squeesed
out equal parts via yorker caps into a mixing cup but I always
stress untill the mix sets because of the few times it didnt.
No stress no more!! Its all in what your confident in.

Oh, I will also add that using accurate measuring dispencers (syringes)
allows one to dispence into what ever mixing container is available
and not need the graduated cups to obtain a correct mix.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2006 12:08AM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: August 11, 2006 06:38AM

Myself I have replaced the caps of the bottle with the Adapta Caps. I get mine from here

[www.abundanthealth4u.com]

The 24mm size works for the 2 and 4oz bottles of epoxy.

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.64.194.122.nyc.electricfiber.net)
Date: August 11, 2006 11:13AM

About air in syringe: ...I have found I get no air in the syinge if I pull the syringe all the way to the top so the syringe is filled with air. Then, I invert the bottle with the adapt-a-cap and syringe connected to prevent leaking. When the initial "big bubble" heads upward in the bottle I push the syringe to introduce even more air into the bottle. This way I never have any "tiny" bubbles get in when the bottle needs more air to displace the liquid. Due to the added air which goes into the bottle the resin/hardner quickly fills the syringe..less air in the syringe also. Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster