I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blood Groove?
Posted by: Mike Emerick (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2006 07:09PM

What is a blood groove. I've heard of them being put in grips. Is it just a finger indention?
Thanks
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blood Groove?
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2006 07:29PM

In knives it is an indentation along the length of a blade to allow for blood to escape as well as making it easier to retract the knife from what otherwise be a tight compressed seating. I would imagine a lengthwise groove along a grip could serve to channel excess wetness of water or slime while keeping the raised portion dryer and cleaner. My hunch is that it would be more decorative than practical. I've never heard of anyone spearing a fish with a grip or handle. I hope someone with more knowlegde on this topic will chime in.
Dave

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 09, 2006 08:15PM

Now that is the kind of out of the box thinking that will interest me on grips - thanks for the idea - maybe someone can refine or give an alternate!

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: August 09, 2006 08:19PM

"Blood groove" - other than a knife blade or drain in a cutting board, or butcher's table or ice cooler / or fish hold, I am stumped, too.

"Blood grove" sounds like the slice in your finger when a tarpon zips off with your fly, and your fly line rips you a new one.

Or when you fish a conventional reel, and you make the mistake of trying to use your thumb to press the line into the foregrip to add drag. (Don't!) The beast zips off and you now have a blistered, if not bloody, thumb print to remind you of how fast things can go from bad to worse.

Moral of the story -
Use the reel for more drag, not your fingers.
Finger the spool, not the line. ... -Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2006 08:34PM

I read in a recent article that the idea that a knife with a blood groove, blood runs through the blood groove and breaks the suction, so the knife can be withdrawn with less difficulty is myth. That the blood groove or fuller as its called on a sword has structural purpose to actually lighten and stiffen the blade. I'll see if I can find the article. I didnt draw a possible application to rod building/grips but who knows.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 09, 2006 11:59PM

Somebody's telling you a "story". Blood grooves are used in knife designs - I've actually had one or two that had them. But not on rod grips or handles. Various grip materials purport to give a "better" grip when wet but it depends on your definition of "wet". For that matter, when we fish for blues and spanish and such off the piers, and action gets pretty good, your hands end up covered with blood, slime, and scales. Even if you wipe your hands after every fish the grips and handles load up soon enough. The solution is a quick rinse with water and a wipe-off with a fishing rag (or towel).

Think about big-game rods. Many have hypalon or other sorts of artificial grips and when the guy has been in the fighting chair for a while it's often done that some of the crew (or his buddies) pour water on him and the reel to literally cool them off. But I've never seen "blood grooves" on them.

- hope that helps

Uncle Russ

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.129.---)
Date: August 10, 2006 04:16AM

I've heard the blood groove was found in knives, to allow the blood from the meat/flesh, etc. to drip from the blade, so as not to get all over the handle and the hand of the user. I'm sure if that's the case, there won't be an application for a rod grip.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 08:27AM

I know this may be off the subject but has any one tried to flute the grip or reel seat like a rifle barrel? I wonder how the fluting would feel and if it would save any weight? Just asking. Mark

Posted by: Arthur Mayfield (---.nas4.asheville1.nc.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 12:04PM

I don't know anything about "blood grooves" in grips, but the old saw about them in knives is easily disproved by actual use in cutting meat or dressing animals. Blood runs all over the place, not down the groove. Fullers were originally put in some forged blades in an attempt to strengthen/stiffen them, period. Hollywood (and teenage boys) added the "blood groove" story. The grooves put in some butchers blades to break suction run across the blade, not along it. This makes sense when you think about how you use the knife.

Posted by: Michael Shea (203.57.223.---)
Date: August 10, 2006 05:23PM

I have a feeling someone told you about it, but used the wrong terminolgy. I've seen where people use a bit of sandpaper or a triangular file to add concentric V cuts into the grips (I've only seen it used on EVA), but this is only for decoration rather than function.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster