I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Porcupine Attack!!
Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: August 09, 2006 12:09AM

I was out with some friends this last weekend at a beautiful remote lake. In the middle of the night woke up to some nibbling noise. Jumped out of the tent and found a porcupine munching on the cork on the fly rods!! This rodent was able to rotate the rod so as to remove the cork evenly, like corn on the cob. Who would have thought the would have such a taste for cork??

We also found a chewed though hole in one of the bellyboats, and, to top it all off we didnt catch any fish, ran out of food, and developed some memorable blisters and sore spots hobbling back 25 kms with 65 pound packs on our back. I guess the only way it could have been worse is if we had run into a bear! whew! no thanks!

Anyway i am going to have to do some repairs to about 3 rods, removing the reel seat, old cork, putting on new cork etc. I have never had to do this before. Suggestions on softening the epoxy to remove the old stuff?

calvin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2006 07:36AM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Porcupine Attack!!
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 09, 2006 12:53AM

The porcupine was most likely after the salt from the sweat on the cork & float tube. Try a hairdryer to heat the epoxy to soften it to make it easier to remove. This may work, may not. A hairdryer works on Flex-Coat & LS Supreme on wraps. I usually sand or scrape off epoxy to replace cork and/or reelseats. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2006 01:08AM

what grade cork do porcupines prefer? lmao sorry calvin that really stinks (oops not a skunk) sorry to make light of your misfortune but you have to admit thats a original story. good luck woth your repairs billy

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2006 07:36AM

I would not completely remove the old cork. Just turn/sand it down to a small cylinder and bore the new grip to fit nicely over that.

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.144.184.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: August 09, 2006 12:46PM

Calvin:

That is some bad luck...... I need some porcupine quils, as they make good bobbers for speck's ........... I KNOW THAT YOU GOT TO HAVE A FEW ???? As for running out of food -- I heard that they taste like chicken ??? My neighbor had a nutty-buddy chew on a nice cork handle of a rod I had built him & he wanted me to fix it for free because the tree rat came from my yard !!!! I did the same thing that Mr.Kirkman said I turned down the damage & stuck a cylinder of new over the butt ,it was lucky it was just the butt .
Tight lines
Bill Rice

Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: August 09, 2006 08:52PM

Actually i thought it was going to chew up our shoe insoles because we had them out of our boots to dry. You figure thats where most of the salt would be.

Well maybe that type of salt doesnt taste very good....

Do porcupines really taste like chicken? Im curious now, will have to try it sometime!!

calvin

Posted by: Jim Smith (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 09, 2006 08:58PM

I had a mouse pull that same trick on me with my first fly rod as a kid. He chewed off around 1/3 of the handle before I found out. I now always store my rods in their tubes, but then again, I don't hike 25km into go fishing so lugging a rod tube along would be a real pain. Good luck in the repairs and let us know what you did and how it turned out.

Jim Smith

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 10:30PM

Porcupines are actually quite tasty. Ate my first in a survival situation and have since gone back for more. A bit more gamey than chicken but not bad at all. You also get the added benefit of all the quills which have more uses than you can possibly imagine as well as being a hot item for craft people on @#$%&., and the HUGE teeth make interesting watch fobs. I prefer rattlesnake however.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Patrick Lloyd (---.166.63.227.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: August 13, 2006 11:28AM

Ferrets do the same thing!

PL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster