I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Buying Flor Grade Cork
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 08:20PM

Does anyone know where I can buy Florgrade cork atleast 100pices of both 1/4 and 1/2. I am looking for great quality at an attractive price.

Thanks in advace!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying Flor Grade Cork
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2006 10:15PM

Flor is not necessarily "great quality." Keep in mind that there is no standard behind it so Flor can be whatever the dealer decides it is. Some cork sold as Flor is great, other cork sold as Flor is not so great.

Try to find CG1 grade if you want the very best. There is a photographic standard behind that grade.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 03, 2006 10:28PM

Amen. I never have been able to get anyone to tell or show me just what flor grade cork is supposed to look like. It seems to be whatever the dealer says it is. Some good, some bad.

Andy Dear has some pretty good cork and so does Golden Witch. High graded stuff. I'd shop one of them for your cork.

Date: August 04, 2006 08:14AM

Generally Flor is assumed to be very good cork, free of major pits and blemishes. But this is purely subjective and there is no doubt that much badly pitted and blemished cork is sold as Flor, and due to the subjective nature of a non-standardized grade, it would still be correct.

This is the strength of the RM Cork Grade Scale. There is a published standard, both photographic and percentage oriented, behind it. It leaves only a tiny window for subjective opinion.

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: August 04, 2006 10:49AM

This may sound silly, and it's not meant to be, but why are the pits in cork seen as unsightly? I think pits give the cork some character. Is it purely a subjective thing?

Posted by: Andrew Toynbee (198.239.63.---)
Date: August 04, 2006 12:38PM

When I was at Angler's Workshop in April, they had some very nice looking "flor" grade rings at what I thought at the time was a great price. I'm sorry I don't remember that price now, and they may have sold through them by now, but it may be worth giving them a call.

Date: August 04, 2006 12:50PM

Bruce,

That's a good point and it should be remembered that perfectly flawless cork doesn't occur naturally - cork has pits and blemishes. It's like wood having grain or figure.

But too much in the way of deep holes or pits can actually be uncomfortable to hold. I look for cork with fewer imperfections and with shallow ones at that. I rarely expect a perfectly flawless ring because that's just not something that occurs in nature very often.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 04, 2006 05:14PM

Andy Dear high grades his cork and when enough of it is available he sends it to people on the waiting list, Angler's Workshop does the same thing, and I'm sure others do to. Be prepared to pay accordingly.

Date: August 04, 2006 07:56PM

Andy also uses the RodMaker Cork Grade Scale so you can see what you're getting before you actually get it.

Posted by: Mark Boggs (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: August 04, 2006 08:36PM

Tom,
Where can we view this scale and see the associated samples? Is it available on line or is it published in a back issue?

Mark Boggs

Springfield, OR

Date: August 04, 2006 08:44PM

Volume 8 #2 has the photographic standard in it.

Some dealers also have it on their websites, or so they tell me. Either way, you can see what you're ordering rather than just guessing at how good, "good" really is.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: August 06, 2006 08:53AM

I'm glad that Bruce made his comment. I also like cork with a few more narrow pits--I think it gives the cork more character. Wide and deep pits do get a bit unsightly, but the smaller stuff is interesting to me. I've found that I'm often very happy with a vendor's second grade, when the "flor" or CG1, is not available.

I was turning wood before I ever started building rods, and I was in the habit of looking for a piece of wood with the most grain variations. So, when I started turning cork, I was surprised that people wanted it with no "grain" (i.e. natural pits). Still seems like a "perfect" cork grip is rather dull, IMO.

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: August 06, 2006 08:58AM

I found some real good cork for 40 cents I am happy with. Thanks,

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: August 06, 2006 01:47PM

"Still seems like a "perfect" cork grip is rather dull, IMO."

yeah andrew, but it feels like BUTTAH! ;-)

e

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 06, 2006 02:16PM

Greasy and Slippery???? Sorry Eric, couldn't resist!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster