I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
'Air Foam' grips ($500 Daiwas) - anyone know what it is?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: August 03, 2006 02:06PM

Daiwa came out with their new Exist rods which are beautiful and quite 'tricked out'.

Anyways, my interest is in the foam that they use for grips which is very stiff and yet lighter than cork and EVA. Anyone know what this foam really is?

You can read about it here:
[www.tackletour.com]

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 'Air Foam' grips ($500 Daiwas) - anyone know what it is?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 03, 2006 02:54PM

Looks like a sharp set up and I don't know but I have seen a lot of "innovative" things pushed by this "advertise supported" site that was pure hype from the manufacturer. Not sayng that this is, but I would be skeptical. I notice that they didn't give any actual weight comparison.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ryan Wampler (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 03:30PM

Reading that article, is it true that Asian rods do not typically employ "blank through" construction?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: August 03, 2006 03:56PM

Asian rods use the old school reel seats and pistol-ish grips. I forget teh name of these seats, they are from the 60's & 70's I think, the butt grip is offset a little, they have a screw as a foregrip. Mayb eFenwick seats? From what I understand they pay big bucks for these seats, tehy are really into nostalgia & old school over there. Old Red Abu 5000's are the stuff over there.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 05:03PM

I’m amazed that they would go through all that work to create sensitivity. Only to use foam on the handles , which deadens sensitivity

Date: August 03, 2006 05:43PM

Marketing and Hype sells!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 08:36PM

Half of your hand sits on teh reel seat, your finger touches the blank ahead of the front of the reel seat. You guys must have hands of stone to be worried about teh back side of your hand holding the EVA loosing a gazillionth of sensitivity. The description clearly stated the problems they felt were with cork, they found something they felt is better - in this case more durable AND lighter (according to them). They reduced everything else to increase sensitivity, increased durability - and we laugh at them.

The sad truth is that series of rods will be more custom than 99% of actual custom rods built by individual rodbuilders.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 09:03PM

Billy;
I have been plumbing for 30 years. Between cuts, chemicals, and calluses. I do had hands of stone, and need every advantage I can get. They are also putting the foam on some of the reel locking down caps.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 11:13PM

I wonder if something like Styrofoam used as handle material could have similar or perhaps even better properties than the cork handles so popular today?

Posted by: Myles Boon (---.a.001.gct.iprimus.net.au)
Date: August 03, 2006 11:19PM

Japanese tackle speaks for itself, reels, components etc. I just wish that the Daiwa products made for the US and Australian market was as good as the product they build for themselves, maybe we should demand the same quality here on our own soils.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 11:58PM

So.......anyone know what this foam is?

As to Asian tackle, I do consider the Japanese to be at the cutting edge of spin/casting equipment. Sure there is always marketing, and sometimes hype. However, there is also true performance. I just wish the top line Daiwas reels aren't a couple for $1K.

Mo

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 04, 2006 07:58AM

I try to stay off these bandwagons as much as I can, but, every once in awhile, thier arrises a subject or comment that just gets under my skin. I'm gonna quote Billy Vivona.

"The sad truth is that series of rods will be more custom than 99% of actual custom rods built by individual rodbuilders."

I, in no way, can understand the thinking behind this statement!!! I reckon this means 99% of us are out of business after they hit the market. If, for one second, I thought a production rod could be better than the ones I build, I would have never have started my own business.

Steve Gardner

I too, am a plumber. Not quite as long in the field, but still have the rough and abused hands. Now. This is my own opinion. I think that any reel seat that does not have an area that the fingers touch the blank itself is gonna be less sensitive. I hold my rod, like many others, with my pinky finger, touching the blank at the point of the exposed section on the reel seat.
Try this. Take something and touch your index finger very lightly. Now do the same with your pinky finger.The sensitivity is a lot greater in your pinky finger. I just stepped away for a minute to do another test. I just took a rod with foam and one with cork. ouched the tips on the floor to feel the vibration transmited to the grip area. I cannot tell the differance.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2006 08:22AM

I think what Billy means, is that a large number of custom builders who sell rods to the public, are simply making copies of commercially available rod. There is little in the way of "custom" anything involved. They use standard blanks and components and set up and build the rod the same way the factories do. So in the understanding of what many feel truly makes a rod "custom" these are just commercial rod clones. It's an opinion and I'm sure others both agree and disagree with his statement. I understand what he's saying and tend to agree with him somewhat.

Dawia is a solid company that has built some great products over the years. They've also advertised and promoted some things well beyond the actual fact, as do most commercial makers of any product. I have not seen the rods or grips in question, in person. I'll have to keep an eye out for them. But I'd tend to be suspicious that they've introduced anything cutting edge. They source most of their parts from the same places everyone else does and if such grips were truly a great innovation, they'd already be in some component manufacturer or dealer catalog. But again, I haven't seen them so can't say for sure.

There are a lot of materials available for use as a handle material. Custom builders need only to employ some creative thinking to find the next great grip material. No one is limited to just cork, EVA and Hypalon.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: August 04, 2006 08:23AM

99% are not out of biz, but creating a new reel seat, with a new locking nut, with a new grip material, with Titanium SIC's, on a blank they designed themselves - how many are putting that much thought into their rods, and how many are capable of going the extra step to get all these extras.

Take a look at the Pricing article Tom put together last year, these FW factory rods will cost twice as much as what most guys are sellign their custom rods for. A lot of it is marketting, but you guys sit there and make fun of people buying WAlly rods....Diawa will be making fun of people buying HOmemade rods by Billy for teh same reasons.

Japanese factory rods are a heck of a lot different than US factory rods. A set of Ti guides costs more than 99% of teh market is willing to pay for an entire rod here.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: August 04, 2006 11:44AM

Nordic brand ski poles also feature "air-foam grips" ...dunno if its the same material discussed in the above article, but they do feel good to me and they are at Ski Market. It might be possible to pop em off the ski poles, reshape 'em, and arbor 'em if need be for thinner rods, and try it out. Not a recommendation, not even a suggestion, just an observation so dont blame me!

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.169.---)
Date: August 04, 2006 12:11PM

I have seen a few companies that advertise themselves as custom rodbuilders and you go to their website and they have a few styles of rod you can order for differing species on several different blanks. Not what I would call a true custom rod.

Date: August 04, 2006 12:57PM

All you need to do is read back through this board and you will see that there are many, many "Custom" rod builders that are basically selling "factory rip offs (preformed grips, cheaper components, factory guide placements, etc) as "custom" rods!! Many even make them before they even have a customer for them. What is custom about that?????
I don't mean to offend anyone, but "custom" rods like that, reflect negatively on all of us

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2006 12:59PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: August 04, 2006 03:06PM

I have to agree with Mike B and Scott Van Guilder - and I can't tell you how many people I've met since I started this hobby that claim to be custom rodbuilders -when all they are doing is buying a Cabela's kit and assembling it (and poorly). And do a google search for custom rodbuilders - virtually everyone selling on the internet is not really a custom rod builder - I don't care how well you can do a buttwrap or weave - that's not a custom rod.

I think that Billy's comment gets to the point that most "custom rodbuilders" aren't on this site - he's not picking on 99% of rodbuilding.org "members", but on the whole rodbuilding collective. He's more than likely correct. Seriously, how many rodbuilders out there really turn their own grips, modify reelseats, spiral wrap, do static guide testing, etc. As a percentage of the entire group, I'll bet it's very small.

I went through the icast link that Mo posted - they look like neat rods, using SIC/Ti Fuji guides, and some nicely machined parts, as well as, of course, a super secret proprietary graphite blank manufacturing process that creates a blank far superior than anyone else's. Wait, isn't every manufacturer doing that??? I'm sure they are good rods. $500 good? No way in heck.

Any chance the Air Foam is hypalon?

Not sure what my point is, sorry for the rant....

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 04, 2006 04:00PM

"I think that Billy's comment gets to the point that most "custom rodbuilders" aren't on this site - he's not picking on 99% of rodbuilding.org "members", but on the whole rodbuilding collective. He's more than likely correct. Seriously, how many rodbuilders out there really turn their own grips, modify reelseats, spiral wrap, do static guide testing, etc. As a percentage of the entire group, I'll bet it's very small."

Now that I can agree with. I do turn my own cork or EVA foam. I do the static tests. I do spiral wrap. Ect. ect........... I also sit down with my customers and listen to what they want in the way of a rod. (specific use) Listen to the color combos they want in there threads. shape of there grips. type of guides. I also make any sugestions that might make there custom rod better for them. This is what I consider a custom rod builder.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.144.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: August 04, 2006 04:15PM

I do all those things that Rich mentioned. I also try to talk with my customers (just about 100% bass fishermen, so far) and find out exactly what they want the rod for. Most of the ones willing to spend the money are looking for a single-purpose rod - if they want a rod that does everything, they are probably gonna go to BPS.
But, me, or any other small fry, are really not going to be able to go a "custom" as Daiwa is talking about. We really don't have the resources to design our own blanks. And, what we can do in terms of special reel seats, locking nuts, etc. is really pretty limited. For example, I would like to make some rods along the lines of the older ones with the Featherweight handles, but don't think I could ever make this type of handle. A big company has the resources to make anything like this.
What we CAN do, though, are things like static and dynamic testing, locking wraps, spiral wrapping, and other things that the bigger companies really will never be able to do efficiently.
Steve Broadwell

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster