I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone use "Rod Winding Bobbins" ?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 09:17AM

In my recent order from Binghan, there was a brochure included from Gudebrod. Inside I found some Rod Winding Bobbins used to apply thread to your rod. They look exactly like the bobbins I have for tying flies.

Does anyone use these bobbins in rodbuilding and when would a 1" stem be used versus the 2" stem? I assume they'd be used for making thread inlays or something similar - I learn something new every day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone use "Rod Winding Bobbins" ?
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: August 03, 2006 09:26AM

I have never used them, instead using small "spools" that I make out of index cards (about 1" square, with v-notches cut at each and and slots to hold free end of thread when not in use) for inlays, but a fair number of folks swear by them, especially for wrapping tips. After doing some incredibly whippy tips lately, I'm considering picking one up just for that. I can see where they would be very useful for that purpose.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 03, 2006 11:15AM

I have seen Jim Upton use them in his portable weaving set up but I am sure they would be valuale in a lot of portable type wrapping areas.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2006 11:27AM

A longer stem would allow you to get around higher guides or larger tip-tops.

Another wrapping device many may not be aware of is a tool that revolves around the rod to wind the thread on. The rod remains stationairy. There is at least one commercially made unit of this variety still being produced. More expensive than a simple thread bobbin, of course.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 01:37PM

I do use thread bobbins on my travel lathe and also use them to wrap tip tops and make inlays. I have however made some of my own to do specific work. Those that are used on the travel lathe have a sliding sinker bored out and slid over the long tube of the bobbin to provide tension. Those used for inlay or wrapping tips just use the weight of the thread spool and the bobbin.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: August 03, 2006 03:27PM

I have known guys who use bobbins for wrapping the entire rod. Some hold the bobbin and rotate the rod, some rotate the bobbin around the rod. Tension is a matter of "feel" as you go. I couldn't detect any significant difference between their wraps and mine.

Maybe this is because their wraps are pretty good for freehand work; maybe it's because mine aren't so good for machine assisted work?

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.132.du.eli.iinet.com)
Date: August 03, 2006 05:09PM

Tim

I use bobbins to do the entire rod. I wrap for a living and do around 100 to 150 rods per week. The arms of the bobbin apply enough tension and are adjustable by bending. Bobbins usually last me about four or five years then an arm breaks from being bent back and forth to change the tension .

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 05:13PM

I also use a Bobbin to wrap the Entire rod,turning rod by hand. Only use power wrapper for long underwraps but use the Bobbin then too. Been using it for years

Posted by: ronnie jones (---.atl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 09:34PM

question for thomas thornhill,

thomas,
since you certainly qualify as an expert in this field, what kind of bobbin do you use? ...do you think that everyone would benefit from using bobbin, or, is this just something you began & continue to do today?

the reason i'm asking & being so specific is that i had contemplated using a bobbin to wrap the tip top & a few of the smaller guides on some blanks. ... i just finished wrapping an ultra lite rod & it was VERY small ...i think a bobbin would have helped. ...what is your thought on this?

thanks
ronnie jones

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.130.du.eli.iinet.com)
Date: August 04, 2006 10:32AM

Ronnie

I use bobbins that I buy from Angler's Workshop that are made to fit the standard spools that Gudebrode uses, they are made by Griffen I think.. I like using the bobbins but most people that wrap as many rods as I do just put the 4 ounce spool on the floor and run the tread through their fingers for tension. The reasons I like using a bobbin are no line twist because the tension is on the spool and not on the line and if I have to get up I can let the spool hang and not lose tension on a wrap. Using a bobbin is a preference thing I taught myself how to wrap and just started using a bobbin and like it.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: Dave D'Ambrosio (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 06, 2006 05:13PM

I am in agreement with Thomas. I was taught with a bobbin and find anything else time consuming and cumbersome. It is lightning quick once you get the hang of it and I would venture to say a lot quicker. It ha sits disadvantages I'm sure but it works for me and I can;t imagine doing it any other way. I do however think you need to check your wraps frequently (especially on ling underwraps) to make sure your wraps are tight until you get used to it, but definitely a difference.

Dave D'Ambrosio

Posted by: Brent Feorene (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: August 08, 2006 03:00PM

I am a relative newby to rod building. I purchased a simple rod wrapper from Anglers Workshop and use it to wrap the guides. It provides tension anda level of accuracy for me. How does one incorporate a bobbin into the wrapping? Is it used instead of the rod wrapper? How do you use a bobbin?

Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster