I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

components for a 2 weight ultralight
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.mn.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2006 11:58AM

I'm gearing up to build my 4th rod- a 2 wt. ultralight for Minnesota panfish.
I've got a 3M Scientific Angler blank, and I need some help with where to go for all the components I need, butt, guides etc..
I'm set with tools and liquids. I would prefer a kit due to the easyness, but maybe I should branch out and look for some cool colored ionized guides, etc.....
I'll appreciate any input.
-I sure am having fun learning at this website, I hope to someday have enough under my belt to offer some help to "newbies" like myself instead of always looking for help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: components for a 2 weight ultralight
Posted by: Daniel Axelrod (204.134.52.---)
Date: August 01, 2006 01:51PM

I guess the question is are you going for budget or premium?
If you're going budget, I'd get the 1-piece grip/seat from Jann's NetCraft. For guides I'd use single foot wire guide. You can probably get everything you need from Janns for under $40. For Premium ultralight components, look to REC. Their PLRN seat is very nice and really light. Then use thier Recoil light wire guides, these are the lightest on the planet. With a matching grip and a nice winding check, that setup would run around $75. Either way, I'd use a single foot spinning guide for the stripper, size 8 or 10.

Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: August 01, 2006 03:15PM

Hi Doug,

even just reading your headline on the main page I had exactly the same ideas like Daniel, the full cork reel seat and the thin/freshwater sf-guides also from recoil. If you can turn your own grips you could even buy just two slip rings for teh reel-foot and design grip and reel seat exactly to your specs.

For the stripping guide ( attention, here comes now my creativity hohoho) I would go with a Fuji TLNSG or CLNAG in a suitable size. Both strippers (same shape) are having a nice, filigree appearance what should match pretty good for a 2 weight rod.

RGDS,
Ole

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2006 09:16PM

Doug,
any of the sponsors on the left will help you out. If you are not happy with internet ordering I have a few suggestions for places you might try. You can email me for those suggestions at tom069@comcast.net or thomas.kaufmann@navy.mil

Don't be intimidated by the net, all of the sponsors are great. I have had the pleasure of using many of them. I can personnaly recommend Lamar, Fish sticks, bingham,mudhole,Janns and Anglers workshop. i have had great experiences with ALL of them!!!!!!!!!!!! They all employ exceptional people

thanks to all of the sponsors that I have mentioned for making my life that much easier with your great service!!!!

Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (144.92.184.---)
Date: August 02, 2006 02:04PM

Doug,
Is this an ultralight or a spinfly rod? Spiinfly rods I think may have started in New Zealand and are gaining popularity worldwide....lighter than ultralights, throw lighter baits than ultralights, and tend to cast farther as well....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster