I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank recommendations (surf blank?)
Posted by: Brian Issa (69.71.171.---)
Date: July 31, 2006 07:36PM

A friend and I cast spinners for salmon off the Oregon coast, usually in conditions with little or no surf. My friend makes the spinners and they are usually 1oz, but the weight could be varied somewhat.
What would be the best set up to throw these spinners as far as possible with a rod that can handle 20lb test and 30lb chinook? We are looking for a good combination of power and distance that we can comfortably cast all day. As if that wasn't enough to ask, it'd be nice if they not break the bank (less than $100). Is a surf blank the answer?

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recommendations (surf blank?)
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 08:42PM

Brian,

I cast 1oz #5 spinners similar to the mepps "flying C"all day long for salmon
here on the Sacramento and American Rivers. I use a Loomis and Rainshadow 1025's
and a Rainshadow HS1021F. They are all 8ft 6". The HS1021F is rated at 10 - 20lb line
and 3/8 - 3oz lure wt.. The 1025 is a bit lighter in power and lure and line rating at 10-17lb

I can get quite a bit of distance with a curado, catala, or Team Diawa palm reel.

The Loomis will sent you back about $150 were as the Rainshadows are about
1/2 that. I do really like the Rainshadows!

Last year I landed a 34lb'r with no sweat!

You may be able to get more distance with a longer rod but it think it will be hard to find a surf
rod that has a light enough tip for 1oz or less casting.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 09:24PM

Brian , we have a SU 1145 , 9'6" , 12-25 , 1/2-11/2oz . Some at the outer banks refer to it as a spanish buster . The other one to look at is the SU1264 , 10'6" ,15-20 , 1/2-2 oz . We have both on sale on our website Fishsticks4u . Click on our surf fishing page and I think you will like what you see . If you have any questions our shop number is 804-966-7577 . We are on the sponsor list Fishsticks4u

Date: July 31, 2006 09:27PM

There ya go Brian!

Hey thanks Robert!

I love it when Im proven WRONG!!

Raymond Adams

Date: July 31, 2006 09:41PM

Raymond , you are not wrong , you said you really like the Rainshadow ,and I do to , so I think we are both right . Robert

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2006 09:42PM

brian a few years ago i built a trsp1085-2 (2 piec 9ft) for fishing for spanish mackeral and blues in the surf at the outer banks. it is optimum throwing a 1 1/4 oz stingsilver and is a blast to fish. it is light enough to have fun with the spanish and may be a little on the light side for what you are doing, but it sounds like you have received great ideas and blanks to choose from. good luck

j p timberlake
sticks n bones

Date: July 31, 2006 10:05PM

Hi Robert,

I was wrong about being able to find a surf rod with a light tip.
all of the surf rods I've seen have been heavier. (never been
much for surf fishing though) sould have checked the catalogs
before opening my fingers! LOL!

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 10:09PM

Brian,
Where do you fish on the Oregon coast? I build a lot of rods for casting spinners for Chinook and I have a cabin on the tide water of the Nestucca and do a great deal of that fishing myself with about the same weight spinner and line that you are using. Most of the rods that I build for this are built on popping blanks, usually Lamiglas IMP964's that I extend to from 9' to 9'6". In fact, most of the regulars in that area are using rods that I have built. If you need more assistance send me an e-mail and I will try to help in any way that I can.

Posted by: Bob Purvis (---.139.255.206.cable.pnbl.cablelynx.com)
Date: August 01, 2006 12:51AM

Brian, I have both the SU1145 and the SU 1264 Rainshadows that Robert sells. (They are a great outfit to do business with.) My 1145 will zing a one ounce spoon or jig out of sight with just a flick of the wrist. It is light enough to fish all day but has plenty of power to handle good sized fish. The 1264 is a little softer but it is very forgiving and fun to play a fish on. I haven't found a surf rod style yet that the Rainshadow wasn't the best blank for the job. Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.91.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 01, 2006 08:47AM

Brian
When looking for a blank with your known lure weight. Put you lure weight in the middle of the blanks lure weight range. This is known as the " sweet spot " Gives you ranges up and down.

Posted by: Ed Cardoza (---.rubin-levin.net)
Date: August 02, 2006 04:05PM

Robert,

I'm looking for a surf blank as well-couldn't find the SU1145 in your catalog. There was an SU1145F listed, but at 10'6" and 1-4 oz lure weight. A 9'6" rod with 1/2 1/12 lure weight seems like it would be great for Bombers and tins. Is this rod blank listed somewhere else?

Date: August 02, 2006 08:53PM

Ed , the website for the new blanks was in the process of being updated , that part is done and you will find that blank on the surf fishing page or click on blanks , Rainshadow , surf rod blanks , and they are on sale . They are 9'6" thanks for finding that mistake and it will be corrected . Our shop number is 804-966-7577 if you have questions. Thanks Robert

Posted by: byron gray (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 03, 2006 11:23PM

hello, robert i saw this post about the sales and specials on
rainshadow surf blanks.so i wen't over to your site to check things out. sure enough i go over to your site and see a blank i think i just can't do without .the reason I'm writing you is because the blank i have
picked a (su1266) on spiecal for $75.99.won't let me buy it for the sale price.every time i
try to add it to the shopping cart it shows $88.00 the regular price for the blank .am i doing
something wrong? thanks, byron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster