I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guterman Thread
Posted by: Robert Baker (---.dynamic.mts.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 07:22PM

Walking through Wal Mart to pick up some rod building supplies (cheesecloth, scotchbrite, etc) I came upon a display of Gutermann 100 percent polyester thread and in awide array of colours. As one of them (an olive colour #714) would match a few rods I am currently building, I bought it. After a search through this site's archives to find out if I could use it or not, I decided to simply try for myself.

What I did was make a large wrap several inches long and 'burned' the fuzzies away. For the wrap, I coated one end with two coats of permaglass and then other end without. I then delicately burned the fuzzies away one more time. The following day (today) I applied a coat of LS Supreme over the entire wrap.

So far, I've found that the epoxy went on problem free and seems to have saturated and darkened the end without any of the permagloss, just as it normally does when I use Gudebrod thread. Note that regarding the end with the 2 coats of permagloss the thread already had saturated and darkened from the permagloss coats. The difference, and point of this post, is that the side without the permagloss unfortunately has a lot of fuzzies poking up through the epoxy while the side treated with 2 coats of permagloss doesn't seem to have any fuzzies.

I'll update when the LS Supreme has dried/cured.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guterman Thread
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.27.101.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 08:07PM

I've played with Gutterman and at least with all the spools I've bought, it is very fuzzy stuff to begin with. It can be put to some use, but takes some work. Also, because of how fuzzy it is, if you are going to be playing with more than one color, it is very hard to get a clean wrap. It just hasn't seemed to be worth the trouble for me. My local stores don't carry Madeira anymore and most are not replenishing their Sulky stocks. (According to the stores, the crafters and sewers around here don't care for either one, prefering Robison Anton and Coats and Clark). Happily, I've found that both of those are pretty decent threads for rodbuilding.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.dhcp.lgrn.ga.charter.com)
Date: July 31, 2006 08:34PM

That Coats and Clark 40wt polyester is good stuff! Just about all I use now. I have never found a spool with any silicone problems, and I like the way it handles. Yesterday I used some nylon, since I was wanting the garnet color. It was surprising how much fuzzier the nylon was versus the polyester.

Posted by: Robert Baker (---.dynamic.mts.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 08:57PM

It's been on the dryer now for almost a couple of hours. As I mentioned, the end with 2 coats of Permagloss followed by the LS Supreme has ZERO fuzzies while the end that has no Permagloss - just LS Supreme - has a LOT of fuzzies poking through the epoxy. I'm very pleased thus far with how it has turned out with the Gutermann thread. Something I've noticed is that the end with 2 coats of Permagloss is a wee bit lighter in shade than the 'untreated end' but both sides appear darkened just like with the nylon Gudebrod (saturated look, which I like as I'm not a fan of the CP look). Also, I've notice no fish eyes in the finish or problems with adhesion. Looks great. BTW, I should mention that I applied the LS Supreme on fairly thick, like the way I apply HiBuild as a "one shot deal."

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 10:19PM

Per the manufacturer....Coates&Clark Trilobal thread contains no silicone lubricants. I still always use CP with my wraps though as I am looking to retain better spool color.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster