I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod guide placement question
Posted by: Daniel Hall (---.tamc.amedd.army.mil)
Date: July 31, 2006 04:12PM

I have made about 4-5 fly rods, mostly Sage XP with REC components and Recoil guides. So far I have just followed Sage's chart for guide placement and have been happy with the way they cast. I am about to start a new Sage rod, 5 wt, 4 piece.

I read with great interest the discussions and articles in the library about guide placement techniques. My question is, how much difference do these techniques make on a fly rod? Will the rod be remarkably better than if I was to use Sage's chart?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod guide placement question
Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: July 31, 2006 04:38PM

Hi Daniel,

find out what guide placement would make sense from yr. point of view and then in the end compare with the one coming from Sage. Generally we can assume that the placements Sage is giving are not wrong ( I also used them already) but may be not the only one what will make sense.

I am about to start to build a RPLXI 990-3 and I also got the original placement from Sage but will check out on my own (and then compare), may be there will be just a slight difference between your layout and the one coming from Sage.

What definitively will have an influence from m ypoint of view are guide styles and sizes if you will deviate from manufacturer's recommendation.

RGDS,
Ole

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 04:48PM

Here Dan, read this past thread of mine. It left me even more confused after I read the responses!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Bill Worden (---.trinidadbenham.com)
Date: July 31, 2006 06:29PM

Dan, I have also asked myself the same question, and another issue. If there was a failure of a blank, will the manufacturer have a basis for disallowing the warranty of the guides are not placed as per their recommendations? They might feel that their placement places even stress on the blank and a deviation from that may put undue stress on it.
For that reason, if it is a high quality blank, I place as per manufacturers specs.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.42.172.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 06:56PM

When the manufacturer makes up these charts, he/she must decide where to put the srtpping guide. This guide should be placed on the rod depending on the height and arm length of the individual who is going to use the rod. For the manufacturer they must choose some average value.

What I would do is take the rod in your right hand and with your right arm at a right angle, reach with your left hand and touch the rod. Now palce the stripping guide at two inches beyond this point. If you wish, you can then put the other guides where sage thought they should go. Now do a static distribution test to see how close Sage's spacing comes to the ideal.

Now take the rod out and cast it with the guides taped into place. Repeat about five casts to get an idea how far you can cast the rod. Now move the stripper back to Sage's position and do another five casts. Not any differences.

Now return to your work area and repeat the static distribution test and move the guides that appear to be in the wrong place. Remember the ideal position for the guides is to follow thr natural curve of the blank without any sharp breaks or line touching the blank.

When I first started to make rods, I used spacing charts. Sometimes the results were good, but other times the rod didn't cast as well. That led me to what is now called the static distribution test. Sometimes we even have to add more guides or less guides than the manufacturer recommends. Back when Sage first came out, I built an 8' 5 wt fly rod from a Sage blank. I tried their spacing and then the static distribution test and found I obtained better performance when I made some adjustments.

Ultimately, you will have to decide where to put the guides based on your own reasoning as well as input from others including manufacturers recommendations.

Good luck,

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Daniel Hall (---.tamc.amedd.army.mil)
Date: July 31, 2006 07:13PM

Thanks for the replies so far, and thanks (Tim) for the link. Intertesting.

As an amateur builder, I don't know if I'm right, but here is my theory. My theory is that if I could magically come up with the "perfect" guide placement system, I would end up with a rod that doesn't cast or perform any differently to the average user. The performance differences would be minor enough (compared to the Sage chart), that you couldn't even tell. My thoery also states that a newbie like me has a very good change of building a rod that can't cast at all if I try to come up with that "perfect" guide placement system, rather than rely on a company that has a pretty good idea of how to build rods.

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 01, 2006 07:38AM

Dan,
All new builders go through various stages. When they start they usually copy factory rods and produce very nice products. But as I went along I realized that I was not producing a true custom rod but only a factory copy, better rod but still a copy. When I began to branch out and get more innovated using different type eyes, handle material and better guide spacing I began to produce a true custom rod. I have never had a warrenty problem with any Co. because of not using their guide spacing and if I ever do then I will not be using their product again. There are plenty of excellent parts suppliers out there and I use several. I hope you use products from our sponsers first and good luck on a great hobby.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: August 01, 2006 10:00AM

Use the chart to get close....then tweak with the static method. There is no way to be wrong really, but if you adjust to guides based on the bend of the blank and place the strippers so you can reach the line. How could you go wrong?? You won't end up with some thing vastly deferent from what you get on the chart but it will be based on the very blank in your hand not just a generic reference chart .

I have never heard of a warranty being denied because you didn't place the guides per the manufacturers chart.

After all aren't you building a custom rod....why try to replicate what the factory is doing?

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: August 01, 2006 12:57PM

The most important point is to end up with a guide as close to the female ferrules as possible.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2006 05:39PM

Steve, why is that the most important thing - and are you saying - right on it, just in front of it, or just underneath it on the next section? I've got 6 or so factory built rods and a dozen or so more that I built myself. The only rods with a guide "close to the female ferrule" are a couple that I built myself based on the recommendations of this forum. The factory rod companies must be either doing it for some specific reason or else they're just plain stupid. I just don't like the looks of one on or close to the ferrule and now keep them away from it. I know I must be doing it wrong but I can't get it into my head that's the best way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster