I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shaping cork sans lathe...or cheap lathe recommendation?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 11:55PM

Greetings,

Maybe there's an easy solution that I'm not aware of. Did just search through the threads on 'lathe' and did not find any solution.

A couple of questions:
1. Is there a good way to shape cork grips without having a lathe? If there's an obvious solution, I don't know about it and would appreciate any tips.

2. Failing that, any suggestion for the most basic cheapie lathe that I should search for on @#$%&? All I want is to shape cork - not work on acrylics, wood etc. Not even sure what RPM I need as I've always purchased shaped cork before this.

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shaping cork sans lathe...or cheap lathe recommendation?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.95.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 12:05AM

You can make one for cork out of a drill. I have made my own " flex coat " lath. Works great for cork, light wood

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.143.80.208.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 12:28AM

PENN Industries has an attatchment for a drill press to allow turning. Check on the computer, Penn State Indistries.
click on lathes. Also Grizzly tools has 2 cheap lathes, one using a drill. Gene

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.44.102.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 01:47AM

Mo,
It is possible to shape cork without a lathe. First, you glue your cork rings together using a couple of pieces of wood. and two threaded rods as a press. once the corks are dried into a cylindrical tube, you can use a wood rasp to shape the cork. You need to take one "swipe" down the cork and then rotate 1/4 turn and repeat. As you remove cork the grip will begin to take shape. For example, if you want a reverse half-wells seat you can remove more at one end than the other. When you have approximately the shape you want, start using various grades of sand paper. The important point is to rotate the glued cork rings on each stroke to maintian a cylindrical shape. This is a rather tedious process, but was done by rodbuilders years ago before lathes became accessible for the average person.

The suggestions from others regarding "drill lathes" are quite good. I certainly recommend them rather than the old fashioned method mentioned above that I learned years ago.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 31, 2006 07:48AM

The issue of RodMaker that mails on Thursday has a great article on how to shape grips and handles without the use of a lathe. It is particularly helpful when you wish to create a non-cylindrical shape which can't be easily made on a lathe anyway. The trick is to reduce the process to several simple steps. Anybody can do it and with extremely good results. You'll enjoy the article and it will help you greatly improve your overall hand skills.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas60.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 08:53AM

Tom
You just gave me an idea, diamond shaped cork handle ?? Hummmm

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 31, 2006 09:04AM

Sure, or triangular, or a hand shaped pistol grip, or whatever else you can think of. It's very easy to do.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 31, 2006 11:28AM

Do a search on this site for Grizzley and you will get a ton of info on a very nice set up for well under 100 bucks (including drill) Here's a pic [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: July 31, 2006 02:41PM

Thanks guys! Wow - really appreciate the responses. The cheaep presses using a drill sounds just right.

A follow up 'newbie' type query: How does one hold the cork grip and center is on the drill?

Thanks again,
Mo

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 31, 2006 03:07PM

Mo, What I do is glue the rings up on a piece of threaded rod and clamp. When cured, I put the grip on a madrel for shaping/turning, then ream and put on blank. The threaded rod needs to have some wax on it (I rub good with an old piece of candle) or the grip will bond to the rod. For me, I bore out the rings to 3/8" with a Flex Coat bit (good size for most of my rods) first to cut down on the reaming

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Campbell (222.154.78.---)
Date: July 31, 2006 05:18PM

I do pretty much as Mike does.

Rest one end of the mandrel on a table top and turn with one hand and use a file with the other, (I have about 3 different files I use to tke the cork down). Use a Calipher to measure the high and low points and then file so that there is a gradual taper between each of the points. Then go to sandpaper which gives the finish and takes any uneven bits off. Cut a piece of sandpaper so that it goes all the way round the cork and hold the sandpaper firmly all the way round and turn it on the cork. Ends up real good. I have just completed a reverse half wells that way using measurements for high and low points from a grip layout in rodmaker. Quite quick too.

John

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 05:30PM

Hello Mo,
I am certain that some individuals find it enjoyable shaping grips without the aid of a lathe of some type. And if you want to give that method a try, go ahead and do so. If you want to move toward a low cost lathe option that doesn't require construction of a home made lathe, I also suggest the Grizzly Hobby Lathe.

For the assembly of the cork rings, I and some others utilize a hand clamp and one of Andy Dear’s mandrels (See Mike Barkley’s picture of a hand clamp that he modified to clamp cork rings). I use one very similar to Mike’s, and after gluing and clamping the rings, I actually pull the mandrel out of the rings. Doing so drags out the excess epoxy or glue, and avoids having the rings stick to the mandrel. Once the adhesive has cured, simply re-insert the mandrel and turn to shape on the hobby lathe.

This is a fairly inexpensive setup and will turn out very nice grips.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: August 02, 2006 02:26PM

I use a graphite arrow shaft and a hand drill. I glue up the grip, ream to fit the shaft, chuck it into the drill and turn. Works great. I found that the shaft I have fits perfectly inside one of those removable fighting butt insert for fly reel seats (where you screw in the butt) which chucks into the drill much better (won't split), and turns perfectly straight. Found the arrow in the woods. Threaded bar works too, but its hard to find a nice straight one (and keep it that way), or you could try an old rod blank.

If you have a drill, you have a cork lathe. Just get creative!

Ray Vinzant
Juneau, AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster