I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Steelhead Rod Blank Question
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 12:53PM

I searched the forum, however I couldn't locate any information to this particular question. When building a steelhead rod for fly fishing are the same blanks used that are used when building a spinning steelhead rods....

If anyone has additional information on building steelhead rods I would appreciate it. My brother up north wants one.

Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2006 01:18PM by Jeffrey Wolfanger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steelhead Rod Blank Question
Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 03:09PM

just use what ever rated fly blank he wants. i use either a 6 or 7 wt for great lakes steelhead, on the left coast, i think an 8wt is more appropriate. i like a rod in the 9.5 -10.5 ft range. this helps with mending and also to help land the fish on light tippet. some guys build steelhead fly rods on noodle blanks, i have one, but i now prefer a traditional fly blank.

hope this helps

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 04:30PM

A noodle rod is just alight action fly blank, which can be very long 13'. The fly rods feel so good because they have parabolic action bending well down into the reel seat on some light blanks just like a noodle to rod. I like longer rods 10 foot minimum especially if your chuck and duck fishing, but additional length allows you to get more line out of the water so there is less bow from the current. I like a rod with a michigan/eastern (st croix determination) grip which has a long foregrip (up to 10" so your not on ther hook keeper when fighting a fish) and thus more business end and place to balance the outfit when drifting spawn through a run/hole, The rear grip is short 4-5 inches and I often add this on to the original rods length. If you have the moxie, you can train yourself to cast with one hand on the foregrip at all times and not switch grip positions after the cast. Watch out for high sticking with these longer rods.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 08:02PM

For Pacific Northwest Steelhead fishing, these are not the same.

Depending on the size of flies your customer is casting, and whether he is planning to use floating, sink tip or a shooting head system, there are a number of choices to consider.

In the summer, we tend to swing flies with floating lines. Depending on the size of the river, you could use the standard one-handed rod in a 6 or 7 weight, usually 9 to 10'. Larger rivers demand longer casts when swinging flies so many of us are moving to double-handed rods in the 12' to 14' range. 7/8 wts for summer fish and 8/9 wts for winter fish.

A 13' noodle rod used to drift small baits in clear water would probably be a bit overmatched for a spey line, but it would have to be CC'd to be sure.

Check out Rainshadow's line of fly blanks in the 7 and 8 wt class. The IF9XX series comes in 7 and 8 weight in lengths of 9, 9 1/2, and 10' and is mid-range for price and action. And, the Forecast Spey blank series is a great value and a wonderful rod.

Send me a mail if you have more questions.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster