I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Topwater/Spinning Rod
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 12:51PM

I have a customer who has requested a spinning rod for topwater "walking the dog" technique with Top Dogs and She Dogs from the front deck on a bay boat. I have tried to do this with a spinning rod and I just can not make the bait work the same as with a bait casting rod. The crank handle is just too far away from my other hand to get any where close to the action on the bait that I want. If someone can do this with a spinning rig what blank action and length is reccommended Trout and redfish. Would a shorter rod built on a moderate action popping rod blank work for this tip down technique or is a fast or extra fast action blank required.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Topwater/Spinning Rod
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 01:03PM

I would recommend an SJ783.

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 01:06PM

Bill-

One more thing a 6'6" is the best size to go with...I would think you build rain shadow and the sj783 they have would be good for the bigger plugs, but a 782 for smaller plugs e.g. superspook juniors.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.fv.dl.cox.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 05:04PM

Just want to give another opinion.
Here in Arkansas we have a fair amount of spring and early summer top water Striper action, and long casts are important to reach the fish without spooking them.
For us something like the Batson IST993 works well. We use 6-8# line and throw Zara Spook Jr, spinnerbaits, other lures up to 1/2 oz and the fast tip works well for lure action, the 8'3" length allows an easy long cast using both hands.
A 7" to 9" rear grip, depending on customer preferences.
If long casts are not important, I agree the shorter 61/2 blanks make working the bait easier.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 08:14PM

Bill,

I have to agree with Ron. I think the longer rod works topwater a little better. I use an IP 841 and have recently finished an 8 ft one but cannot remember the number. I use 4-8 lb line. But for topwater I prefer the 8 lb., I have a tendancey to really jerk hard when I see the fish strike. (probably too hard). I am somewhat like Ron in that I am fishing clear water and stay with as light of line as I can get away with.

Ed Smith

Date: July 29, 2006 08:53PM

My boat is not high enough to keep the tip down near the water with an 8 foot stick. I do not know how to walk the dog with the tip up in the air. I guess I could tell the guy to stand on a ladder.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 11:07PM

I would recommend the Batson bass series 843 - I think it's called the MB843. It's 7' long with a fast tip but enough guts at the top of the action to move the topwater the way she wants.

Uncle Russ

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 02:13AM

I would go with a 6'6" rod in a 3 power like we use around Galveston and a 2 power for smaller baits. An eight foot rod for me is out of the question. A 783 or a 782 blank is what I use depending on the bait being used, the faster the tip the better.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: July 30, 2006 08:15AM

I want a rod that is as long as possible. I work with the tip down and I don't want it diving into the water. An inch or two is fine, but six or more is unacceptable.

That being said, I use an older Loomis SB723. Shikari makes a SB603 that I would buy, if I broke my Loomis.

Great blank for me. My brother actually loved it so much he had to have 2 of them. Torpedo's, Spooks, Pop-R's, Skitter Pop's, Skitter Walk's...

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: July 30, 2006 08:29AM

I think the St Croix 3C68MXF or the Rainshadow ISB 822.5 would work here also.

Date: July 30, 2006 09:42AM

Thanks: I just found reference in "walking the dog" on the GLoomis site and theirs are six footers for tip down work.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 08:32PM

Bill,

Maybe I miss understood something but when I fish fresh water with topwater I want the tip up. I 'm fishing thru "jumps" and the bass are chasing the shad minnows out of the water. I try to make my lure jump a little out of the water. (Anywhere from 3 to 1 o'clock) Cajun's have always done things different than us Hillbillies.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 09:14PM

Most "walk the dog" type topwater fishing is done with rods in the 6 to 6'6" range. Much longer than that and you are losing control over what the bait is doing, as well as fighting the length of the rod vs the water surface. Actually, most topwater, spinnerbait, and crankbait bassing is done with the rod tip down. I like longer rods, but for this type of work, a shorter rod is definitely in order. I'd recommend 6'6" max.

Date: July 30, 2006 09:30PM

Thanks Rich understood on the short - my question was can it also be done with a spinning rod - I am a bait cast freak and can not make it happen with a spinning reel - just wanted to know can someone with a spinning reel make the dog trot? Would you build on the same action rod blank if casting or spinning for this technique.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: July 31, 2006 07:24AM

Bill

My rod and my brothers two rods are spinning rods. I have absoluetly no problem working the bait.

I also use a small Muskie sized walk-the-dog plug that I throw on casting gear for Bass and have no trouble walking that bait.

If you're having trouble with a spinning rod, I firmly believe that it will only be a matter of time before you learn the right rythm. Its just a different set up that requires a bit of change in cadence. But it is entirely possible to learn it and then do it without thinking about it.

I would most certainly build with the same blank. That style of blank is what I like for topwater and I'd use it cast or spin.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 02:38PM

Bill - certainly most using these techniques are using baitcasters - but like the previous poster noted, I'm sure you can do it with spinning as well - as long as you have a good blank. A lot of walk the dog type action is imparted by the rod tip - a typical "spinning rod" tip probably has too much flex to really pop the lure and get that action going. I'll bet a rod built on a "casting" blank would be great - just a matter of getting the cadence down - it's all in the rythm you establish with the bait. Heck, I have a buddy (tournament bass guy) who flips, pitches, and can skip lures under docks all with the 6' long baitcasters I built for him - so I'll guarantee it's just a matter of some practice to walk the dog with a spinning rod :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster