I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MATRIX RODS ?
Posted by: Nik Reikalas (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2006 08:38PM

Greetings, brand new here, & what a great site. My question to all?
MATRIX RODS? Need your opinion as to the quality of Matrix? Also using them? Are these GOOD rods? Naturally not as good as Loomis, St. Croix, but? Your input would be great,
Thanks, Nik.R.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MATRIX RODS ?
Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: July 25, 2006 08:53PM

Why would you say that these are not as good as Loomis or St. Croix? I've built six or seven of them now and every one of them has been straight, light, powerful and very nicely finished. I don't have any complaints and none of my customers do either. IMO these are GREAT rod blanks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 25, 2006 08:58PM

Nik,
I wouldn't take them,Lamiglas, Rainshadow, and the other sponsored blanks out of the category of being as nice as the blanks you listed. I've found nice blanks from just about every blank maker, they couldn't stay in business if they were sub-standard in any way.
You've read to much hype and not spent enough time with different rods in your hands. When you go fishing, don't be afraid to ask to fish and talk about other peoples gear, there's a wealth of knowledge and good and bad experiences out there to be had. Also keep a journal so you don't forget what you learned.

Posted by: David Wells (---.194.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: July 25, 2006 08:58PM

I've built several for customers and a couple for myself. They aren't the absolutest lightest blanks out there but they're not excessively heavy either. All those customers and I love the rods built on the Matrix blanks, in fact my favorite worm rod is built on a Matrix 783 blank and I couldn't ask for a better worming rod, very sensitive. Factor in the reasonable cost and you can't go wrong.

David

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 25, 2006 09:08PM

Very good blanks! Don't fall for the marketing game and get hung up with brands. Their are many makes/models of blanks out there that are the equal or superior to many of the "big guns" out there. I think that it would be a mistake to base an opinion based on brand name. There are many manufacturer's out there that are pretty much unknown to the fishing public because they make no rods for sale and spend no money on advertising to them.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2006 05:08PM

Actually, just based on the specs, the matrix rods do seem quite heavy with a mag bass 7-0 mf rated for 10-17# line and 1/4-3/4 oz lures weighing in at 2.9 oz compared to 2.6 oz for the st. croix ScII blank.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 26, 2006 05:48PM

Dean:
I also strive to build the lightest rods possible, but 3 tenths of an oz on 7 ft mag. rod is not that much. If you are an experienced builder you might want to go that direction, but if you are pretty new at it. You will most likely up grade your rods as your skills get better. So going with the cheaper blanks just might be a smart choice. I don't even use the rods I learn on any more. They just kind of sit around and stare at me from the corner of my tackle room. I would give them away, but I'm to embarrassed about my early thread and finish work

Date: July 26, 2006 07:49PM

I want to THANK EVERYONE for their input. VERY HELPFULL!
Thanks, Nik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2006 07:50PM by Nik Reikalas.

Date: July 26, 2006 07:56PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nik,
> Also keep a journal so you don't forget
> what you learned.

AH, "WORDS OF WISDOM HERE"

Will do.
Thanks, Nik

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster