I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about sponsors
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 25, 2006 03:48PM

I faxed business info to 5 sponsors and received one reply (Thanks FishSticks4U). Do you guys find that you need to call these people to get a response? I assumed that a fax would get them a hard copy and not tie anyone up on a phone call. I've tried to email some as well. Just curious...not trying to flame anyone at all. It will be three weeks tomorrow since the faxes went out. I'd like to support the sponsors if possible, and I mentioned RBO in my letters.

UPDATE: My bad - I just remembered that Anglers Workshop emailed me back. I apologize! We're 2 for 5!

Chuck Mills

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2006 05:24PM by Chuck Mills.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about sponsors
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 25, 2006 03:51PM

I would give them a phone call and then e-mail them with a scanned copy of your tax license (that's what I did)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2006 03:53PM

I guess it depends on what you were faxing. I won't hazard a guess, but I will say that many dealers, some sponsors and some not, have gotten a bit tired of having faxes come in where the builder is simply trying to find out who will give him the lowest price on a list of items. Many have told me that they no longer respond to that type thing as they can't possibly make any money and it ends up being a waste of their time. They tell me that their prices are plainly listed on their websites and that should be enough.

Now that may not be what you faxed - and if it was about something else entirely you may wish to just call them. They might just be busy or they might not have gotten the fax. I think most are pretty good about getting with people within a day or so.

If it was just your business information, they may have already put it on file. A response to let you know they received it would indeed be nice, but many may not do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2006 03:55PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 25, 2006 04:09PM

A response would have been nice, and in my day job environment that is the norm. I can call them, but when contacting a dozen or so sources it's much simpler for me (future customer) to print out letters and fax them in. I also asked, "Please send a catalog and ordering info."

But, I see your point Tom. I get so many vacation specials faxed to our office that we shut the thing off.

Thanks

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: July 25, 2006 05:12PM

Chuck,
maybe they received the specials also and were all on vacation?

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: July 25, 2006 05:25PM

:) Good one Todd!

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 25, 2006 05:33PM

Do what I do - make a note of what businesses blow you off, patronize those that take the time to respond.

Though I have not delt with them I've heard good things about FishSticks4U.

Lou

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: July 25, 2006 06:16PM

Lou Reyna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do what I do - make a note of what businesses blow
> you off, patronize those that take the time to
> respond.
>
> Though I have not delt with them I've heard good
> things about FishSticks4U.
>
> Lou

If I feel that some blow me off then that might be an option. However, at this point, that would be premature. First impressions do make an imprint on one's mind. The problem is I still work for a living and when I got home today, 11 hours after I left for work, I had to spray my entire gravel driveway with Roundup and then cook chicken breasts on the grill. After my 5 minutes on RBO to check what's new I need to help my wife with a few things. It's tough to find time during the day to make a bunch of phone calls.

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2006 07:44PM

Make an order. They will respond. Ready, set, wholesale.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 25, 2006 07:53PM

The guy's at FishSticks4U are first class and quick to ship. They did not have a tip in the size I needed one time and called to let me know my options for another instead of just shipping an incomplete order. The expense of the call from there to here, cost them more then they could have ever maid off the guide. Not even counting there time

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 25, 2006 08:10PM

I have also been very pleased with FishSticks4u. We are in the same state, but even with that, their service has been super fast and I too get a call from them at any time about any question I may have/send by email. Service matters.

DR

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 25, 2006 09:49PM

FishSticks4U are top of the line, as I've written here before.

Some dealers respond by sending, within a couple weeks, their printed catalogs with wholesale price sheets. Some will just wait for your order. But I have found that an unsolicited fax of the Tax Number sometimes doesn't get any response because they never heard from you before, either on the phone or through an order, and they don't quite know what to do with what you sent them. They have no idea, at that point, what you want.

Give them a break and follow up with a phone call. I'd be concerned if they don't remember getting your fax, but not till then.

Uncle Russ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2006 09:50PM by Russ Pollack.

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.wco.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: July 26, 2006 09:40AM

I have nothing but high praise for Fishsticks... had some issues that I CAUSED and Robert was on the phone from home late in the evening (his time) working with me. Another time I waited until 2 days before I needed a blank and he had it drop shipped 2nd day from Bastson, since his shipping time had passed for that day.

In any business, I haven't had anyone work so hard to help me out.

Never had trouble with any of the sponsors but never had someone go so far out of their way all the time to make sure all was well, correct and to see that I was completely happy. Fishsticks is a class operation, period!!

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: July 26, 2006 06:51PM

I don't use a fax machine. Pretty much everything is done through the web site or by email or by telephone.

The web site contact form and online orders are the first thing I check, then my email and the telephone is handy if I'm here.

The web site or email are the sure ways to reach me any time of the day.

I do only sell retail, so I wouldn't be much help if wholesale is what you want.

Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: July 27, 2006 11:13AM

Chuck,

While fax machines are somewhat usefull devices they mostly aren't a common tool most companies use much anymore. They are obsolete. A scanner and email is the best way to go or simply get on the phone.

Faxes are one way transmissions...people do not respond back to faxes most times. I bet the other sponsors just filed your ppwk and are awaiting an order of some kind or have you on their list to recv a catalog.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster