I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

White Marlin/Sailfish Rod Blank and guides
Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2006 03:32PM

What would be a good rod blank for White Marlin fishing and or Sailfishing? It seems most charter boats use a roller top and boat guides. any recommendations on either would be great

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: White Marlin/Sailfish Rod Blank and guides
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: July 23, 2006 06:26PM

REEL
LINE TEST
BAIT
LURES
SPEED
ROD LENGTH
THRU-HANDLE or METAL-BUTT?
PRICE RANGE

GIGO, ... -Cliff Hall, FL-USA.

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.147.223.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: July 23, 2006 07:03PM

Jesster Brindisi:

Like Cliff said we would need a lot more information to give you the best answers. I would also ask what area are you going to fish? Are you going on a charter or on a private ? Also are you interested in a shot at a I.G.F.A. record?

Tight lines
Bill Rice

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2006 09:20PM

20 lb outfits are most common for this type fishing. I would probably not use roller guides in this particular instance, but instead would go with something like LRSG or similar. I'm assuming that most of the fish you'll be going after will be in the 75 lb to 125 lb range? Are you going to be fishing stand up, trolling from a rod holder or casting to them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2006 09:21PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.136.---)
Date: July 24, 2006 11:17AM

Whitey/Saildog specific? I'm going to 'guess' that you'll be dead bait trolling. Mr. Tom is right on with 20# tackle (30# max for TARGETING the small bills). A 6'-7' blank is what I'd reach for with 6 1/2' being just about right for my taste. I will also assume that you'll be stand-up fishing as a small billfish fought from a fighting chair just isn't that much fun. If the boat rodholders will accomodate an 8" slick butt, that's what I would use (most small boats have no problems with these). If you're taking this rod (or rods) on trips that you'll be making on larger boats with big rodholders, you may be better off with 10" slick butts for the extra gunwale clearance. Aluminum gimble for durablility and either an aluminum or graphite reel seat. I would like a forward grip in the 12"-14" range for a whitey rod.

Guides could range from LRSGs down to HNSGs, but I might would try the newer HBSGs just to be different. A roller top certainly isn't needed on a rod of this calibre.

The rod/reel is a very small part of this type fishing. Getting whitey to eat is where the difference is made. A naked swimming ballyhoo is death on these fish. Sucessfull hookups go up 10 fold if you see the fish before he eats. Pay attention to the spread! While trolling keep the reels with a very light drag...just enough to keep the line from creaping out. If you see a fish, or bill, come up behind a bait, quickly go to freespool on that reel. Give it at least 5-10 seconds before engaging the drag. If using circle hooks, give him even more time. If the rod doesn't bend, drop back again...and again...and again. Keep dropping back until you get a hookup (at least 5-6 times) or until you see the fish come up behind another bait.

A swimming ballyhoo is the way to go in the mid-Atlantic. This can be the tried & true split bill, a mini-harness like you would use on big live baits for blue marlin, or the Guatemalan (Guacamole rig) style of rigging a swimming ballyhoo. With the Guacamole rig you can have all your hooks & leaders prepaired ahead of time. To me, nothing beats the look of a naked swimmer in the water.

Best of luck!

Jay

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2006 06:05PM

I guess I left out a bunch of critical info. So here goes it:

Reel = TLD 20
Line test = 20-30
bait = naked ballyhoo
rod length = 6'6"
stand up fishing while trolling from rod holder - 8" mimimum butt with aluminum gimbal

Most of my fishing is done in the mid-atlantic area but also have opportunities in The Keys now with family down there that own two boats.

Jay, you are correct in that a naked swimming ballyhoo is candy to a whitey. Spotting them before they hit is critical in hook up ratios. Dropping back before he hits the rig usually means one thing - a bent rod!!!!

Now that I am anxious to fish for whiteys in the next few weeks, any recommendations on blanks and guides for this?

Thanks again

Jesster

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: July 25, 2006 08:08PM

Maybe something like a Calstar GF765XL or even the Seeker CLB706 with a few inches trimmed from either end.

Have fun!

Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster