I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about fly-rod length
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: July 23, 2006 01:50PM

Hello all. I was curious about how the length of a fly rod affects performance. I was considering building either a 9, 9"6 or 10 foot seven weight for steelhead fishing but wanted to know if rod length would make a huge difference in casting or line control since these lengths are quite close. Any opinions would be appreciated.
thanks,
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about fly-rod length
Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: July 23, 2006 02:42PM

Hi Tom,

I think you started something like a general discussion about flyrods, on top I have unfortunately no idea about the US steelhead fishing but have to tell you that depending on circumstances like casting position (wading, deep wading, from boat, river bank) as well as body size and constitution might have an influence on this.

For example I fish most time in the Baltic Sea wading or deep wading at the shore for seatrouts ("our" steelheads, originally brown trouts from rivers who leave to the ocean to get bigger and fatter more fast than in the river) so I decide for a rod length based on that for example with a 9'6 it is easier th eprepare for a really long cast because if the line height above waterlevel than with a 9'0 rod. As longer and for sure also as heavier a rod is as more exhausting the fishing will be what could be an issue if you fish long stretches in one shot several days in sequence. I have no clue if these lines will help you but it shows you a little the way how I would decide in general.

RGDS,
Ole

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: July 23, 2006 02:53PM

It can make a big difference, heavy sinktips overhead cast all day can wear out a shoulder on the longer rods more quickly. Blank design makes a bigger difference than length I think, pick one that fishes well vs one that impresses your buddies while yard casting.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2006 03:33PM

Longer can cast farther, provided you have the strength to use it. A shorter rod will be easier to cast and less tiring over a long day. A longer rod will require a bit more effort and will make the fish you hook feel larger (gives the fish more leverage against you).

I'd just try to find what you feel is the best overall compromise for what you're doing. I know the 10' 7-weight is quite popular for steelhead fishing. If you can reach what you need to reach with the 9 footer, however, I'd seriously consider it. Do you need the extra length for line control/mending? Do you need to cast farther than you feel you can with the 9 footer?

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 23, 2006 08:48PM

As a certified casting instructor, I would ask you this: Are the rivers that you anticipate to fish are large? I know large is relative, but this would be an important factor on top of the ones mentioned above.

Personnaly, after 25+ years, I am a 10' rod fan. The only 9'ers I own were in the saltwater application. (I.e. bonefish etc.) Longer rods give you more line control, cast further for the most part, and most of the time aid in fish control. They weigh a little more, but it's worth the extra lenght. But, don't let fishing in small creeks deter you from going to a 10'er. 10'er's work just fine in small

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 24, 2006 12:30AM

Depending on the size opf the fish you're after I'd think about an 8wt or even a 9wt. If you're talking about 10lb-plus fish you might want something a bit heavier than the 7wt. But I agree with the comments above - 10' would be about right.

Uncle Russ

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: July 24, 2006 06:30PM

Thanks for all the input. I am used to longer steelhead rods for float fishing and bottom bouncing so a ten foot rod actually seems on the short side. Anyway, thanks again.
Tom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster