I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

attention suppliers spin cast reel seats arn't very exciting
Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 04:49AM

As far as i have seen in the many supply houses there isn't much in the way of real seats for spinning or bait rods. For instance why can't we get a really nice nickel silver real seat with the choice of some really cool functional knurl work?Perhaps some pewter or champagne colored seats? I don't know if perhaps I just don't know where to find it. I do know when i am building a fly rod I have no trouble finding good quality and exciting components to offer my customers but the majority of my customers are spin cast around here or bait cast and although they have there place and are quality graphite and plastic components are the norm of what i have to offer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: attention suppliers spin cast reel seats arn't very exciting
Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 06:22AM

Have you tried using the skeleton spinning reel seats Mudhole has in their catalog? I just built an ultralight spinner and used a block of burl walnut I bought from Andy at one of the Charlotte shows to turn a nice looking insert. You're right about the casting seats, but the spinning skeletons offer lots of options. I also have turned several inserts using Dymondwood, available from HUT Industries.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 17, 2006 06:59AM

This is where custom building comes in - make your own.

Generally, casting and spinning seats have been seen as functional rather than cosmetic. Sales haven't been there for anything along the lines of fancier styles of these seats. Fly rods have always typically used seats that ran more along the lines of cosmetic rather than functional (how many fly fishermen have their reels come loose or even fall off during a day's fishing?).

Your best bet is to make your own or do some letter writing to the reel seat manufacturers. The dealers and suppliers won't be able to help much in this regard - they can't carry what the manufacturers don't manufacture.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: July 17, 2006 09:13AM

Timing is everything. I know the subject here is spinning seats, but I was also looking to customize casting seats. I wanted to combine a skeleton seat, with my own insert, and a trigger. I know I've seen just the triggers being sold someplace (I'm guessing you screw and/or glue them in place?) but I'm having trouble finding them now...can someone point me to a sponsor that migt carry them...when I search for "trigger" I get way tooo much?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: July 17, 2006 09:21AM

I've taken regular trigger seats cut them up, and added a cork spacer. Same could be down with wood. I've got a bunch of Wiebe Triggers which are apparantly really hard to come by, which I've used with cork spacers. You could do the same with wood in there.

There are painted Fuji Seats available from a few places around the World, problem is they are expensive and people don't want to pay the $$$.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: July 17, 2006 09:56AM

Steven,
Try @#$%& they have the IPS triggers and seats

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steve Gardner (67.77.2.---)
Date: July 17, 2006 10:24AM

Before you get to all fired up about using metal casting spinning seats . You might want to take into consideration How cold they get if you fish in cold waether like I do

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 17, 2006 10:54AM

Steve Gardner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Before you get to all fired up about using metal
> casting spinning seats . You might want to take
> into consideration How cold they get if you fish
> in cold waether like I do

Good thread. I agree with Steve. It's amazing how painful it can be after a couple hours holding a rod on a cold, drizzly late fall day fishing for 'eyes in MN. I'm exploring options for making my own spinning seats. I'm searching for a sensitive, comfortable spinning handle. I have lots of ideas to try. Seems a shame to tape a reel on a custom rod...

I think some of the above posts are right on. We need to make/modify our own seats as required. That is how new products are conceived. Dream it and do it. I'll buy it!

Chuck

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 01:07PM

I am fair weather fisherman! I do not go fishing if the terperature is below 0 degrees C (32F). I don't like to stick my pole in the lake or stream to get the ice out of the guides. That said: I'm like Billy V. I've cut down a few trigger seats and put wood inserts in them. As per spinning rods, I always use skeletons with an insert. (Many of the sponsors of this site carry skeletons in various sizes) You name it I've tried it. wood, cork, bowling ball, nylon, Corian, corn cob, etc. If you want metal you can find pieces of tubing to fit your needs. I've seen a few that Putter has marbled that were beautiful. I use a hack saw to cut them down if I need to. I think many rodbuilders have used very imagintive ways to add art work to build reel seats. For what ever it is worth.

Ed Smith

Posted by: stan lothamer (---.aubnin.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 02:34PM

spinning reel seats can be wraped with thread to match the guide wraps or can weave names or other designs in them to dress them up a little.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.233.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 18, 2006 07:19AM

A few ideas....a very comfortable "new" spin seat:
[shop.mudhole.com]

Also pre-shaped wood inserts that fit standard skeleton spin seats:
[shop.mudhole.com]

Skeletons:
[shop.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 18, 2006 09:09AM

I use a lot of the seats in the Mudhole link above and they are VERY comfortable as spinning seats (even though they are listed as a casting seat on the web site) and customers really like them. I just wish they came in size 17 (I would use a lot more) and different hood colors. They are a VERY nice seat at a decent price

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: July 18, 2006 09:28AM

Is there a recess for the handle material or do you have to angle the cork. Can't tell from the pic. Mike, I looked at your pictures and saw a rod built with this seat down locking. Ever try up locking? I saw one somewhere and it looked odd, but was wondering if it was comfortable.

Chuck

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 18, 2006 10:41AM

There is a recess for the grip to slide into. No reason that you couldn't reverse it, although I don't know how it would feel with the "hump" towards the front.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2006 04:55PM by Mike Barkley.

Date: July 18, 2006 10:48AM

I'll order a couple. I agree, size 17 or 18 would be nice. I looked on American's website and they only show a 16 in the new pricelist. I guess flocking would enlarge it a bit. My son bought a 'bargain tent" rod at Cabelas that has this grip with a "quick-lock" cork nut and it is very comfortable.

Chuck

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: July 18, 2006 11:15AM

Size 16 makes the seat totally useless for any of teh fishing I do. Don't think the reel feet would fit properly. I do think the shape of that seat is ideal for a conventional reel, although I've never felt it it would be worth the $10 to find out.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2006 08:41PM

Curiously I have a reel that fits snugly, almost nicely, in a DPSD-16G seat, but wont fit at all in a DNPSM-16G seat. I've also got a number of older DPS-16 seats that it wont fit - the thread portion on the seat is shorter.

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: July 19, 2006 05:51PM

American Tackle sells 16, 18 and size 20 and Pacific Bay caries sizes 16, 17 , and 18. So there are some other sizes available out there - personally I prefer the lightest smallest componenets able to comfortably execute the job needed. Pacific Bay also has woven graphite, cork or a variety of wood inserts for a variety of these sizes as well. Not sure of who all caries these components other than my old faithful - Bingham Enterprises - Karen will help you out if you wish to go that route. Chuck Ungs

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: July 19, 2006 08:31PM

Have you looked at REC components? Sponsor on the left column. They have some very nice spinning seats.

Ray Vinzant
Juneau, Alaska

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster