I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf blank suggestions
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.179.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 13, 2006 11:40AM

Hi guys
I am looking for some suggestions for a 15 foot " 3 " piece blank. Light in blank weight and able to though 4 plus Oz's.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf blank suggestions
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: July 13, 2006 12:25PM

I wasnt' aware there was a 3-piece Surf rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.165.79.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 13, 2006 01:06PM

2 piece ?? I have not really looked yet. Thought I would start here first.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: July 13, 2006 01:37PM

I'd think you'd've looked in a catalouge already. There are many 2-piecer's available. Zzziplex is probably a good choice.

Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.co.chesterfield.va.us)
Date: July 13, 2006 02:03PM

Bill,

Shikari makes some 14-15' blanks. I have built several of their 11' rods 4-10 oz they are really nice, light easy to load and cast great. Purglas makes 3 piece blanks but 1- I don't know if they make them over 13' and 2- problems getting blanks from them. Why such a long blank with the stuff available in the 11-12'6" range that throws a mile I can't see the need for that length other than tournament casting if that is the case then Century blanks or like Billy said the Zipplex.

Ed Kindervater
Classic Custom Rods

Posted by: Mark Tobiasz (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 13, 2006 04:18PM

Who carries the Zipplex and Century blanks?

Posted by: Michael Shea (203.57.223.---)
Date: July 13, 2006 05:04PM

I know of one Australian manufacturer making 3 piece surf blanks (I am currently building one myself), except they are just over 12 feet in length, not the 15' that you require, but I thought I'd let you know in case you can't find anything else.

The company is Pacific Composites and the blank mode is the Braid Buster BSU 365-7W-3 (I'm using the 4 wrap version as I don't need anything that heavy). The cost is extremely cheap (around the $100 AUD mark plus shipping of course).

See here [www.anglerpacific.com] for more info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2006 05:05PM by Michael Shea.

Posted by: Michael Shea (203.57.223.---)
Date: July 13, 2006 05:09PM

I forgot to add, you can get it from one of the sponsors on the left - The Rod Works (Australian company) - [www.therodworks.com.au]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.59.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 14, 2006 08:09AM

Thanks guys. I keep hereing that 11, 12 ft rods cast long. I have to do more research and try to find if he really wants a 15 ft rod. He has a 15 ft ugly stick that weights a ton. Says it is not strong enough to cast as far as he wants ? That's why I was looking for some thing lighter and with more power.

Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.co.chesterfield.va.us)
Date: July 14, 2006 03:28PM

Merrick carries the Zipplex blanks. The Century try Hatteras Jacks.

Ed

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2006 08:58PM

Bill , talk him into the Rainshadow SU1569 . We sell a lot of them and have heard nothing but good reports . 13', 5-12oz , light weight blank . We have them in stock at Fishsticks4U , and they are on sale .

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 10:37AM

Bill, for what it's worth, I think that any surfcaster who wants a 15-foot blank is either the Incredible Hulk or is severely misguided. Most of my fishing is done in the New Jersey surf, and I know that when I started plying the suds I suffered from the same mentality, that a longer blank equals a longer cast equals better fishing.

After getting into building my own custom rods, however, and playing around with different length rods and blanks, I now firmly believe that in most instances, longer rods actually reduce casting distance. It is true that a world-class caster can throw farther with a 12 foot rod than a 10 foot rod. It is also true that most of us are not world-class casters, and the added weight and more cumbersome physics of a longer rod can result in less efficient technique, and can actually cause us to produce shorter casts. In addition, the added weight is going to result in tiring faster, a trade-off that is definitely not in the surfcaster's favor.

In my experience, most surfcasters dislike shorter rods because the shorter rods that they've tried do not have enough backbone to confortably toss, say, a 6 oz. sinker and a big piece of cut bait. But when you show them a rod around 10 feet that can handle it, they much prefer the shorter length. This is just my opionion, but I feel it is much easier to handle a 10 foot rod, especially when casting heavier stuff, than something a couple of feet longer.

When surfcasting, I use spinning reels only for throwing lures, but I recently built a medium-heavy surf spinning rod for friends to use (it's too much to ask a newbie to learn to use a conventional reel the first couple of times fishing). I was standing on the sand with my brother, who was using the rod, when a guy I know, a guy who chucks bait into the suds quite a bit, walked by. He asked my brother about his rig, and my brother told him that I built it. He asked me about building custom rods, and about why I designed this one the way I did (it's 10 feet long). He tried it out and made a few casts - and this is a guy who normally uses an 11 foot rod - and later asked me if I could build one for him. He said he didn't know you could get a rod that short with that much backbone (3-8 oz.), and he much preferred the shorter distance.

I'm sorry that I've diverted too far off topic, but my point remains the same: I believe that the vast majority of surfcasters would be better served by shorter rods around 10 feet or so. If you can get this guy to try out a shorter rod, I think you'll be able to win him over. Good luck.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas86.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 11:07AM

Chris
I have to save your post. This would tell him if he wants the 15 footer that he should change his thinking.
Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 12:05PM

Good luck, Bill. He may still want a 15-footer, and if he does, God bless him -- it's a free country, after all. And even though I don't sell my custom rods - I just build them for myself -- I nevertheless think that one of the great benefits of getting a rod from a good custom rod builder is that he may be able to show you something that you otherwise might have missed. This guy, for example, came in with an unwillingness to try a shorter rod, but if you can get him to try one, he might really like it, and end up with a better piece of equipment than he would have if he had not gone to a custom rod builder (and what does he have to lose by trying something different?). Whatever he ends up with, I firmly believe that he will feel better served by you than if he had just gone into a tackle shop and picked a rod from a rack.

As a surf guy, this is a subject that's near and dear to my heart; I firmly believe that shorter rods will greatly benefit most surfcasters. I know that Tom has a lot of experience building surf rods, though - certainly a lot more than me - and I know that in the surf rod issue of RMM, he did say that longer rods = longer casts. I wonder, if he reads this, what his thoughts on this issue are.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster