I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split grip
Posted by: Greg Connery (---.ek.shawcable.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 08:18PM

I have a Tiger Eye 7 foot, medium-heavy action. I was wondering if I could make it with a split grip. It will be used mainly for walleye and pike, some bass. This will be my first split grip and I'm not sure if the blank is tough enough. If the blank isn't strong enough, please give me some ideas on a blank that is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split grip
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 12, 2006 08:19PM

The grip doesn't add any strength to the blank really, so you should be fine.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 08:46PM

Some types of rod holders and styles of fishing don't suite split grip rods to well
so you might take that into concideration. The open area can be subject to abuse
and although damage to the blank is generally not a factor this may be hard on the
finish.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 09:04PM

I think the only place a split grip will not fare well is if the rod is going to be placed in a rodholder, such as a Scotty or other similar type rodholder. Then, the exposed portion of the blank will be subject to rubbing, wear etc. For example, building a split grip walleye planer board rod would not be a very good idea. Otherwise, the split grips look cool, garner alot of attention, and save weight. I'd say that unless the rod will be doing serious rodholder duty, why do anything but a split grip?

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 09:30PM

yep! I love'em

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (---.an4.dfw28.da.uu.net)
Date: July 13, 2006 08:21AM

With bass fisherman using a two handed cast what specs might anyone recommend
on a split grip that would feel more comfortable or give best all around performance?
I am looking for a starting point for how far apart to have the two pieces.Not from top to bottom as much as the distance between the two grips.{7" grip 3"s between 7" grip 4"s between and so on}
How are you shaping the butt end?
All the split grips I have picked up feel small and short.Is this just a change I need to get more adapted to?
I am aware That I can make it any way I want only why are all the marketed split grips wimpy feeling in the butt?
I have an average size hand so that's not the problem.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 13, 2006 10:32AM

It's all personal preference! You can make a split grip any size/diameter that you want (they don't have to be equal. Have the user hold the rod like they are casting and go from there. If by "marketed rods" you mean production rods, you have to consider the fact that they are "one size fits all" They have no idea of the size, casting style, etc of the user. One reason why I never build a rod on "speculation" about who is going to use it.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2006 10:36AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (---.253.43.86.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net)
Date: July 13, 2006 05:00PM

Mike,
Why would it be that every one I have picked up feels like I have ahold of a golf ball.I have a medium to small hand for a guy?
one size fits all should be average/medium
Is this maybe to get more advantage out of a split grip by having as short of a butt end grip as you can tolerate?
I did mean production. I find ahold my not be a word according to ISPELL. LOL
Thanks

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 13, 2006 05:23PM

My personal favorite spit grip starting from reel seat back is 2-5/8 then 4-7/8 gap then 1-7/8
I used graphite tubing for the handles. Those dimensions worked out that way because I had two scrap pieces of tubing and at the cost did not want to throw them away. But have turned out to be the best split grip I’ve built. It is on a medium 7’ casting rod

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.direcpc.com)
Date: July 13, 2006 11:48PM

Greg,

That blank is fine for split grips. I have built many of them on the same blank with no problems. It will make a good walleye, pike, bass rod.

Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (---.253.42.70.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net)
Date: July 14, 2006 06:55AM

Steve G,
Your saying that you built the grip on a graphite tube then mounted the tube on the blank
instead of directly on the blank.
Right?

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: July 14, 2006 08:23AM

I just got done building 2 bass casting rods for a friend - using split grips, the "rear grip" length - which includes the butt cork, split portion, and rear grip off the reel seat, is 10", on a 6' long rod. He likes a 6' rod, and wanted a longer rear grip for comfort. He also requested a "power hump" style rear portion of the grip. His reasoning is that after 8 hours of casting, cramps can be a real problem, the larger grip should help alleviate that. I have some large diameter cork rings (1 3/8"), so I was able to turn a 3 inch long rear grip with a nice hump to it. The butt grip is 2.5" long, just a nice even taper from 1 1/4" down to about 7/8". Doesn't leave a ton of split area (4.5") , but looks good and was a perfect place to put one of the rod decals (I don't do fancy crosswraps). The resulting grips are VERY comfortable, even for a guy with small/average hands like myself. These were the first rods I've built for anyone but myself, and he was thrilled - which made me one happy guy!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 16, 2006 08:57PM

Mike;
I'm not sure what your question is asking, could you rephrase it?

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (---.253.47.224.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 09:23AM

Steve,
It was sounding to me like you my have built the grip on a
Graphite tube then mounted it on the blank like you maybe would a
reel seat.Were you extending the blank?
How did you use the graphite tubing?
Thanks, still gathering ideas.
ME Tanner

Posted by: Steve Gardner (67.77.2.---)
Date: July 17, 2006 10:34AM

Mike ;
I took a real seat and reamed it to the diameter of the bank were I wanted it mounted. Glued it in place the built a transition arbor of two different diameters. One half of which fit into the backend of the reel seat. The other half to match the inside diameter of the graphite tubing. At the other end of the tubing I built an arbor the out side of which again matched the inside of the graphite tubing. The inside of the arbor I reamed to match the out side of the rod blank at the point were the back end of tubing is located. From there I left a space in the blank. Then mounted another arbor piece of graphite tubing then an end cap. creating the split grip.

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (---.253.41.102.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 01:27PM

Steve,
OK, Now I got it.
My bet is that turned out pretty nice.
Any pics?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 17, 2006 01:33PM

Mike,
This is what you are looking for! [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (65.41.33.---)
Date: July 18, 2006 06:39PM

Mike I do not own a digital camera so cannot post pic's. But if you ckick on the one abouve it's pretty close except mine is green tubing with black handle. Blue balnk with blue and green thread work.

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (---.253.42.20.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net)
Date: July 21, 2006 10:30AM

This is a nice look.Thanks for the link Mike B.
Steve,Those cameras are getting cheap.remember a 3.0 or less is all you need for internet posting.If the work your turning out Has ideas
like this, borrow one.
Later

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster