I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Struggling with guide size selection for my float rod.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 11:28AM

I've gotton several opinions for guide sizes and spacings for my 113' float rod and I'm still struggling with the lower end. Since I have a half dozen Fuji TLSG 6mm and a matching tip top that I'd like to use.

My problem is trying to understand how the lower half should really look. I'd like to use the new Fuji TATSG on the lower end and it has been suggested to go with 8-10-12-16-20-25> But I think that arrangement and the spacings given would have the line in that "rollercoaster" arrangement that I don't want.

I don't expect to cast all the way across the river with a centerpin but from a "New Gude Concept"point of view - a smoother line transition might be to put a few 7's behing the 6's, add an 8, then a 10-16-25 in TATSGs. I really don't want to order any more titanium guides at $15 - $20 a pop than I have to. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Struggling with guide size selection for my float rod.
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 12, 2006 12:11PM

I wouldn't go through all of the guide sizes like that. I don't see any advantage/reason for it. I don't build float rods, but my opinion would be to drop down to your running guide size as fast as you can. I never use more than 2 or 3 guides before I get down to my "running" guides which are usually all #6 fly type guides (sometimes #8) the rest of the way to the tip. I just don't see the need to go through a progression of guide sizes to get there. Just my opinion/experience

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 12:14PM

Tim,

I think I mentioned this in another post about this same subject. I really don't have a set measurement when spacing guides. I usually tape them on and adjust the spacing while doing static testing and test casting. With the placement of the reel in different places IMO you really can't use a set spacing. Also if it looks right generally it'll be right. This method works for me.

As far as guide sizes are concerned I will use a size 20 for the butt guide and then go down in the order you have listed and add a size seven ring then sixes to the tip.

Good Luck

One other hint I can give you is use another float rod as a reference. I'm sure you have one laying around somewhere.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 01:18PM

TIM.

As you already know, I disagree with Tom K on the fuji concept system for float rods due to the casting characteristcs of the way we fish with them. Now I know he has forgotten more than I will know, I know float rods. Personnaly, I would start with a 20 as your first guide then go from there. Also, if you are going to use the rod in the "COLD" months, you may want to end with a sz.7, to minimize ice build-up. Or, use snake guides for the last 5 guides. I have not done this yet, but veteran float rod bulders are doing this. My philosophy for a float rod is simple: More guides=more epoxy=morethread=====more added weight and therefore LESS performance. I have float rods from 11.5' to 17', and start all of my rods with a sz.20, as I know most veteran "float-rod" builders do. 25 is way to big for a float rod. Spining rod sure a 25 would be fine. Also, what could come into play is your casting style. Do you do the line-twisting sidecast, or do you do the spin cast.

One fine guide to put on your float rod is the PAC-BAY, HI-Frame, Match guide. These guides keep the line away from the blank, and make the rod feel so much different when fighting a fish than any other guide I use. I LOVE THEM!

After thinking the other day about the casting dynamics of float fishing, I'm gonna build my next 15' float rod with a sz12 as the first guide then drop down to 5's at the end. I will also use the REC re-coils too. But I have a feeling that this rod will cast as far as my other rods with much larger guides. Therefor, smaller guides=less weight.

So overall, I think with float rod building, the effect of adding more guides is MUCH more criticle than with a casting/spinning rod of much shorter length. Our rods are fairly long, and rods with 1/4 oz ratings or less this comes more into play. So the effects are more noticable.

Anyway, have a great day.
Paul

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 04:34PM

here's my 2 cents reguarding float rod guides on an 11 1/2 ft. I use recoil single foot spinning guides- 20, 16, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 8, 8 (i wrap a standard guide as a tip top) Some float rod builders feel that running a bunch of 10s and 8s are heavier than the for blank was intended for. In this case i don't think so, cuz the recoils are feather weight, the next rod i build will be a diamondback 13'6 and im plannin g on using the same idea with the tatsg's. what a sweet looking guide, perfect for a float rod. I like keeping the 10s and 8s for the winter months, to help reduce ice built up. Last year i got no build up at all with the recoils. good luck!!!! long drifts!!!!!

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 05:31PM

Paul,

I suggest staying away from the size 6 Recoils if you don't like the concept style guides on a float rod. Going with the 8s to the tip is a really great idea. I wish I went that route last summer when I wrapped mine. But to keep it light go with three or four coats of perma gloss w/o color preserver.

Thought about a 16 for a butt guide never a 12. Looks like something I'm going to have to look into. Sounds like the rod is going to look a bit Euro.

Randy

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: July 12, 2006 05:33PM

If you are fishing in the late fall and the winter then I would think that 6's are too small. I would got to at least 7's at the tip I agree that 25 is too big for your butt guide for a centerpin reel. I would go 20-16-12-10-10-8-8-8- and then 7's out to the tip.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 06:58PM

The light just went on.......I was thinking I needed at least a 25mm (maybe even a 30mm) butt guide because my centerpin is larger than my spinning reels. Since there's no "cone or funnel" made with a centerpin, I see why a 20mm works fine - duh. Thanks guys.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 10:32PM

DANNY:
I use a standard guide on for the tip-top too! A local "expert" looked at me like I was an alien! It works great doesn't it? I'm gonna use your suggestion for the re-coil guides, I've heard such good about them, and that is fantasitc news about no-ice build-up..

Randy:
I will take your advice with the 8's. I haven't used them yet and you have-good info from ya man...Thnaks.

TIM:
Sometimes 8 eyes are better than two huh? LOL. Aren't float rods great? Post some pics of when you are done Tim, I would love to see it!

Have a great day fellow floaters,
Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster